Sponsored by:

If you had 'designed' the Carrera T...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 09:47 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueNorther
Not possible. Aside from turning off PSM, always on for sport and sport +. Happy to be proven wrong, though.
If true, a criminal offense. In my book, at least.

Will be looking into a lobotomy for the appropriate engineer this on my next trip.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:28 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Not possible. Aside from turning off PSM, always on for sport and sport +. Happy to be proven wrong, though.
You are right. My point was, in order to make it independently switchable, you only need to use the software.
Button would be easier.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:25 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

My problem with the "T" is the same as the industry wide problem of creating a supposed "focused" sports car that yet also needs to somehow suit a wide range of driver preferences and demands. This was never really a problem until recently with the crossover vehicle craze when the " swiss army car" idea spread across every model offering and manufactures eager to make sales uphold this " the car needs to be good at everything and appeal to eveyone" mindset.

Just like that swiss army knife and CUV's for that matter, sorry Macan fans, they end up creating a product that technically will do every job but not necessarily excel at any one job with no sharp focus as to what it does best.

Which brings us to the "T" which was a car promised to bring back the pure joy of driving with a manual transmission and where less is more .... On and on the marketing goes...It's focus from what I gather, is getting back to basics .. In reality,and unfortunately, I believe it fell short when it was so close to the goal. I know the NA engine is never coming back but they could have easily produced a car that would have more squarely hit their marketing target without virtually any additional costs in development. I think wish list items like crank windows and manual mirrors would actually cost more because they would have to be developed by scratch.

Here's my 2 cents on what it could have been considering the constraints of regulations and development costs :

A 6 or 7 Speed manual as the ONLY offering to push the "basics" agenda ( before you flame / troll me, this was never an issue on previous GT2 /3s and virtually every 911 pre 964/ 993.

True shorter final drive gearing (if possible) .

A limited slip without PTV , if not possible than a standard open diff would suffice

Carrera S brakes as standard , PCCB as an option.

Deletion of auto rev matching ( or at the very least a set it and forget it item in the PCM).

Deletion of PASM and just a standard stiffer lower suspension without the complication of active dampers and having to choose modes.

Deletion of PSE and just a standard louder sport exhaust without the complication of valves and flaps and having to choose modes.

Deletion of the mode switch on the steering wheel and no " Sport " button on the console because "sport" should be standard on a focused sports car ( amazing demand right?).

Deletion of the rear seats as standard.

Option for body colored mirrors to go along with deletion of side "Carrera T" decals or at least change the mirror covers to black to avoid clashing with silver and other colored cars.

Option for silver or black painted wheels.

A small numbered plaque on the passenger side to add exclusivity.

An increase in the MSRP by 8k for all the above graciousness because no one will walk away from a car this good over 8k !

If Porsche would build me that exact car.... I would release the death grip I currently have on my NA 991 just for the chance to buy one last "simplified" brand new 911 before it all likely goes down the drain with the threat of cross brand platform sharing, that ghastly 992 interior and eventual hybrid power...
Old 01-22-2018, 07:00 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Other than the no PTV, you are describing a GT3 touring.

and you can get black wheels on a T
Old 01-22-2018, 07:55 PM
limegreen
Pro

Originally Posted by evilfij
Other than the no PTV, you are describing a GT3 touring.

and you can get black wheels on a T

I don't fully see the comparison considering the GT3 has nearly all the equipment I'd want removed such as : auto rev matching, PASM , PSE . Also, the addition of two things I'm not a fan of including Rear wheel steering and center lock wheels.

IF I'm really allowed to dream here I would think the T could be set apart with at least the option for a fixed wing , maybe even with additional air inlets built in to help direct flow to the inter coolers similar to when the retractable wing is raised at low speed.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:15 PM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 182 Posts

Wait... what? Are you saying it is not possible to disable auto-rev match? It is on all the time and cannot be bypassed or disabled? That can't be true. This is seriously a deal-breaker for me.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:53 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

Sapphire blue, NA motor, 6 speed manual, S brakes. I'm so glad it is none of these things or I would have to get one.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:36 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by 6sigma
Wait... what? Are you saying it is not possible to disable auto-rev match? It is on all the time and cannot be bypassed or disabled? That can't be true. This is seriously a deal-breaker for me.
As part of the SC package in the MT, it will come on in both sport and sport + modes, not in normal mode. ONLY way to disable it in sport and sport + is to turn off PSM.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:45 PM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 182 Posts

As part of the SC package in the MT, it will come on in both sport and sport + modes, not in normal mode. ONLY way to disable it in sport and sport + is to turn off PSM.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Wow, seriously disappointing. What if the car does not have the SC package? In the T configurator it says nothing about SC having rev-match.

Maybe I don't understand how Porsche implements rev-match, but I want to be able to heel and toe to control my own rev match. That is one of the beautiful things about driving a manual. If I wanted the car to do it for me, why not just get a PDK. Every other implementation of auto-rev match that I am aware of has a simple defeat to disable to feature.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:05 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Wow, seriously disappointing. What if the car does not have the SC package? In the T configurator it says nothing about SC having rev-match.

Maybe I don't understand how Porsche implements rev-match, but I want to be able to heel and toe to control my own rev match. That is one of the beautiful things about driving a manual. If I wanted the car to do it for me, why not just get a PDK. Every other implementation of auto-rev match that I am aware of has a simple defeat to disable to feature.
From the Porsche website describe 911 Carrera T (under transmission): "The dynamic rev-match function active in SPORT or SPORT PLUS modes ensures the optimum engine speed during downshifts for an even more emotional driving experience and sensational sound."

This "feature" is built into the T package, the added chrono package just adds the clock and track app.

I wouldn't go so far as say "you might as well get a PDK", but still I do feel your pain.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:59 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 121 Posts

Maybe I am missing something: If you want to do heel-and-toe yourself, what is wrong with simply leaving the mode switch to Normal? It's not like the PDK where the gears are held up to redline and have faster shifts in S+. For all things, you could leave it in Normal, and manually select the suspension to be in Sport mode. Wouldn't that work? And for those not yet mastering the heel-and-toe, let them enjoy the rev matching with Sport mode. Or is there something else I am clearly missing here?
Old 01-23-2018, 01:19 AM
limegreen
Pro

Check out and comment in my recent thread where this argument went on and on ...

Clearly I feel your pain and believe that Auto rev match for a manual transmission is one of the most absurd things I’ve ever seen....

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1042...-function.html
Old 01-23-2018, 01:57 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by blepski
My problem with the "T" is the same as the industry wide problem of creating a supposed "focused" sports car that yet also needs to somehow suit a wide range of driver preferences and demands. This was never really a problem until recently with the crossover vehicle craze when the " swiss army car" idea spread across every model offering and manufactures eager to make sales uphold this " the car needs to be good at everything and appeal to eveyone" mindset.

Just like that swiss army knife and CUV's for that matter, sorry Macan fans, they end up creating a product that technically will do every job but not necessarily excel at any one job with no sharp focus as to what it does best.

Which brings us to the "T" which was a car promised to bring back the pure joy of driving with a manual transmission and where less is more .... On and on the marketing goes...It's focus from what I gather, is getting back to basics .. In reality,and unfortunately, I believe it fell short when it was so close to the goal. I know the NA engine is never coming back but they could have easily produced a car that would have more squarely hit their marketing target without virtually any additional costs in development.

If Porsche would build me that exact car.... I would release the death grip I currently have on my NA 991 just for the chance to buy one last "simplified" brand new 911 before it all likely goes down the drain with the threat of cross brand platform sharing, that ghastly 992 interior and eventual hybrid power...
Man, spot on.

And I loved my “Swiss army knife” Macan, but what you describe is the main reason why I sold it. I prefer a car purpose built to a certain character/vibe moreso than something intended to please a wide audience. No question.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:00 AM
BlueNorther
Pro

Originally Posted by alex_c
Maybe I am missing something: If you want to do heel-and-toe yourself, what is wrong with simply leaving the mode switch to Normal? It's not like the PDK where the gears are held up to redline and have faster shifts in S+. For all things, you could leave it in Normal, and manually select the suspension to be in Sport mode. Wouldn't that work? And for those not yet mastering the heel-and-toe, let them enjoy the rev matching with Sport mode. Or is there something else I am clearly missing here?
Because the other settings are much different between normal vs sport/sport + modes: throttle response, RPM limiter, idle speed, optimized engine sound in car interior, PTM, dynamic engine mounts, PTV, PASM are all affected (per the owner's manual). Driving in normal is like castrating your sports car. Sure there are situations to choose normal mode, good to have the option. And sure it's nice to be able to choose auto rev, but not if your are forced into a particular driving mode to do it, especially if only in normal mode.

Last edited by BlueNorther; 01-23-2018 at 10:08 AM. Reason: EDIT should read per 991.2 GTS owner's manual
Old 01-23-2018, 09:21 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,178 Likes on 434 Posts

Because the other settings are much different between normal vs sport/sport + modes: throttle response, RPM limiter, idle speed, optimized engine sound in car interior, PTM, dynamic engine mounts, PTV, PASM are all affected (per the owner's manual). Driving in normal is like castrating your sports car. Sure there are situations to choose normal mode, good to have the option. And sure it's nice to be able to choose auto rev, but not if your are forced into a particular driving mode to do it, especially if only in normal mode.
Does the T have dynamic engine mounts? I wasn't sure

Quick Reply: If you had 'designed' the Carrera T...