Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Did you break-in your car per the manual?
Yes
59.84%
No
40.16%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

US Car break-in poll...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 09:49 AM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Can you share which country you are from? I would be surprised if your manual did not have anything about breaking in your engine. Below is the US manual procedure for a 991.2 on page 16 of the manual.
Subshooter..... I'm from Chile.

By the way, you were right. I went back to my car and I found the same wording in page 15 of my Spanish manual. In the way is written, it seems to be mandatory and not recommended since in not part the text they use that word.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:06 PM
fq
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took delivery in Leipzig. The guy delivering it said no break-in other than limit revs until oil fully warmed up. I tried to keep it under 4000 RPM for the first 100 - 200 miles but hit 150 MPH after that, and then 188 MPH after 500 miles.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:14 PM
JR1946
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Well I would not like by a used 911 from some of you guys!

I am only 320 miles into my new GTS ... so far it has been below 4,000 rpm. Just fun to drive at any rpm.
JR1946
Old 03-12-2018, 10:21 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
Hmmm. Is she paying for dinner as well?
T

Best line so far
Old 03-12-2018, 10:37 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Well, while on the topic of logical fallacies, clearly the whole idea of a poll is an "appeal to the masses" which is equally flawed. I still find value in this poll though, even if it evokes some upsetting cognitive dissonance. Based on the prior threads, I would have never guessed that a clear majority is following the book. There's probably a self-selection bias among the people who explain/justify their position, however, and among people who quietly tick a box on a poll without explanation, so I accept that this poll is only accurate to +/- eleventeen percent.
I don't understand why anyone willing to give this any thought at all would follow the book. I mean, think about it. Seriously:

1. Factory manual gives contradictory advice to different markets. Boom. Credibility? None.

2. Factory DOES build in protection whenever there IS actual risk of damage- redline limiter, for example. Factory does NOT display ANY indication of "break-in rev limit exceeded." Credibility? Blown.

3. Factory DOES build in protection that limits the engine during shipping. Factory does NOT do ANYTHING to restrict owner use during break-in.

I won't even mention all the times people have gone to the factory and asked about this and been told there's no reason not to drive the car as hard as you want as soon as its warmed up. Oops, too late, mentioned it.

Oh well. Given all the inconsistencies the majority are happy to believe I'm sure I'll be forgiven that one small lapse.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:44 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuck911
I don't understand why anyone willing to give this any thought at all would follow the book. I mean, think about it. Seriously:

1. Factory manual gives contradictory advice to different markets. Boom. Credibility? None.

2. Factory DOES build in protection whenever there IS actual risk of damage- redline limiter, for example. Factory does NOT display ANY indication of "break-in rev limit exceeded." Credibility? Blown.

3. Factory DOES build in protection that limits the engine during shipping. Factory does NOT do ANYTHING to restrict owner use during break-in.

I won't even mention all the times people have gone to the factory and asked about this and been told there's no reason not to drive the car as hard as you want as soon as its warmed up. Oops, too late, mentioned it.

Oh well. Given all the inconsistencies the majority are happy to believe I'm sure I'll be forgiven that one small lapse.
agreed !!!
Old 03-12-2018, 11:11 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

Yep. And I am one of the guys that has picked up his new Porsche at the factory twice.....and they said no break-in...except to get it warmed up first (which is true at all times). And lets not forget that America is the most litigious country in the world. Our manuals are written by lawyers, not engineers. That is why our manuals are FILLED with warnings, cautions and notes. Don't breath the exhaust fumes or you might die. (that is in there)
Old 03-12-2018, 11:31 PM
Bucaro
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up my GTS in Stuttgart on Oct 2015. I too was recommended just to let the engine warm up first and then drive normally. I followed this advice. My engine died at 2,367 miles while driving back to the factory to return the vehicle for shipment to the US. Obviously, likely a defective engine, which was replaced with no questions asked. Had I followed the brake-in recommendation, the engine would have probably died in the US and had to be replaced by a US dealership (not ideal).
Old 03-13-2018, 03:36 AM
Mr. Big
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh, I thought it was this kind of a break-in poll.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:45 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie

agreed !!!
Not me (nor apparently a majority of those who responded here).
Old 03-13-2018, 05:09 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Chuck, remind us all again how many new 911s you have broken-in in the past 25 years? Oh, let me help, zero. You have no skin in the game. It's easy to be condescending when you have nothing on the line.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:11 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Not me (nor apparently a majority of those who responded here).
LOL
The world is full of lemmings
They got me to do it the first time ... not the second go round ...
Old 03-13-2018, 05:38 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Chuck, remind us all again how many new 911s you have broken-in in the past 25 years? Oh, let me help, zero. You have no skin in the game. It's easy to be condescending when you have nothing on the line.
Lex, remind me again which one of the facts I listed you are able to dispute? Oh, let me help: zero. You have no counter proposition (ie, skin in the game). Its easy to insult (well, for some people) when you have nothing of substance to say.

Its not that I'm totally without sympathy. When you have so much invested in a position it has to be painful to see its validity so utterly destroyed so clearly and conclusively. But the facts are the facts. Even taking your point of view for a minute, how does it help your position at all to so completely ignore the facts while instead being personally insulting? Are we trying to learn? Or bully?
Old 03-13-2018, 05:53 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Are we trying to learn?
Lean about break-in from you? You have never broken-in any Porsche. Ever. None.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:21 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Lean about break-in from you? You have never broken-in any Porsche. Ever. None.
This is true as Chuck has relayed his outstanding 20 foot detailing skills for his previously enjoyed G series.

I'm on my 4th 991 series - and yes I've been to the factory too. What do you think they're going to say to you as you're off on an EU adventure? Go slow? What recourse do you have with them?

In addition to following the factory guidance - I've spoken with 3 different head techs. Their guidance is always the same. If you plan on keeping it , follow the manual, if you're going to get rid of it, drive it the way you want.

You're talking about micro-finished machining - the parts need to wear in. If theoretically no wear is occurring then the metal parts of an engine would last forever and never need refinishing.

Chuck I'm surprised you haven't quoted your lawn mower break-in article again?

And candidly, why are you on this forum- after 1,000 bloviating posts you "test" drove a 991 and said it wasn't for you. So you don't own a 991, and don't like it enough to get one - why post here?

Quick Reply: US Car break-in poll...