Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 PSE - no pops and crackles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 03:52 PM
Markz86
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991.1 PSE - no pops and crackles?

After trying quite a few exhaust systems on my base 991, I decided to have PSE fitted.

by that, I mean that I’ve had the centre / side mufflers fitted along with a remote control to open / close the valves.

The sounds is definitely noticible but I don’t get all of the pops and crackles that you hear on the YouTube videos.

does anyone know why I’m not getting the pops and crackles I’m overrun? Could it be because I don’t have the sports exhaust button and associated software? (The assumption being that said software enhances The overrun sound so that it is pronounced on the PSE)

Things to note:

- the valves definitely work
- testing was done at full operating temperature
- I’ve tried with / without sports mode engaged (some slight burbles with sports mode but not very pronounced)
- the exhaust I’ve fitted is used, so should not need breaking in.
- my previous exhaust (IPE) had lots of pronounced pops and crackles at high revs.

Thanks in advance

mark
Old 01-19-2018, 03:56 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

When you get a dealer fit PSE (I did) they fit the button into the console and I believe they tell (program) the car it is now fitted. The pops and crackles are extra fuel exploding, so unless you have had that done, the computer does not know to spit extra fuel out.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:07 PM
Markz86
Cruisin'

That was my thought.

i know sports mode adds the overrun as when I had an x pipe fitted, it’s made loads of pops and bangs which was great, but that configuration in general was just too much of an undefined sound.

i might see if I can get my Indy to re-programme the car so that it knows that it has PSE fitted.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:10 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Markz86
After trying quite a few exhaust systems on my base 991, I decided to have PSE fitted.

by that, I mean that I’ve had the centre / side mufflers fitted along with a remote control to open / close the valves.

The sounds is definitely noticible but I don’t get all of the pops and crackles that you hear on the YouTube videos.

does anyone know why I’m not getting the pops and crackles I’m overrun? Could it be because I don’t have the sports exhaust button and associated software? (The assumption being that said software enhances The overrun sound so that it is pronounced on the PSE)

Things to note:

- the valves definitely work
- testing was done at full operating temperature
- I’ve tried with / without sports mode engaged (some slight burbles with sports mode but not very pronounced)
- the exhaust I’ve fitted is used, so should not need breaking in.
- my previous exhaust (IPE) had lots of pronounced pops and crackles at high revs.

Thanks in advance

mark
Why'd yo get rid of your IPE - I love mine.

You obviously know what you're listening for. The IPE has very few pops in quiet mode. Do you get at least that amount? I'm sure you've tried coasting in lower gear from a high rev?
Old 01-19-2018, 04:11 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by spiderv6
When you get a dealer fit PSE (I did) they fit the button into the console and I believe they tell (program) the car it is now fitted. The pops and crackles are extra fuel exploding, so unless you have had that done, the computer does not know to spit extra fuel out.
That was my thought.

i know sports mode adds the overrun as when I had an x pipe fitted, it’s made loads of pops and bangs which was great, but that configuration in general was just too much of an undefined sound.

i might see if I can get my Indy to re-programme the car so that it knows that it has PSE fitted.
I get tons of crackles in mine and have never had it programmed - not did I have a PSE car to start. If you had it in the IPE - why not again?
Old 01-19-2018, 04:20 PM
Markz86
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Why'd yo get rid of your IPE - I love mine.

You obviously know what you're listening for. The IPE has very few pops in quiet mode. Do you get at least that amount? I'm sure you've tried coasting in lower gear from a high rev?

its just to loud to to use other than when I’m flooring it. Plus it’s annoying having to use the remote to turn it on, then to press sports mode to get the sound I want. What i’m Looking for is an exhaust that I can just leave on all of the time - like the Tubi I had on my 997.2. I figured the PSE (with valves unplugged) would fit that bill.

i get more pops than the IPE in quiet mode but they are very muffled and not very pronounced
Old 01-19-2018, 04:23 PM
R_Rated
Banned

its just to loud to to use other than when I’m flooring it. Plus it’s annoying having to use the remote to turn it on, then to press sports mode to get the sound I want. What i’m Looking for is an exhaust that I can just leave on all of the time - like the Tubi I had on my 997.2. I figured the PSE (with valves unplugged) would fit that bill.

i get more pops than the IPE in quiet mode but they are very muffled and not very pronounced
I think you may just be used to IPE in beast mode. FWIW, you can get the PSE button programmed with any aftermarket exhaust with a valve just like PSE. Also, you can program the remotes to your garage door openers.

Even with stock PSE though - I think the car starts in norman and quiet mode always. Can anyone confirm?
Old 01-19-2018, 04:33 PM
Jon D
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

I think you may just be used to IPE in beast mode. FWIW, you can get the PSE button programmed with any aftermarket exhaust with a valve just like PSE. Also, you can program the remotes to your garage door openers.

Even with stock PSE though - I think the car starts in norman and quiet mode always. Can anyone confirm?
yes PSE starts in quiet mode on my 991.1GTS. If I hit the Sport button goes into sport mode on the PSE as well.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:36 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

That’s been my experience
Old 01-19-2018, 09:36 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

That was my thought.

What kind of X Pipe? And did you ever have only the X Pipe (while keeping the stock side mufflers) on your 991.1? That's the setup I have (no PSE, Sharkwerks X Pipe with stock side mufflers). If so, would be curious to know differences you perceive between that and the PSE, in terms of volume at various RPM levels, and overall ferociousness.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:11 PM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Do you have PDK.... if so, are you manually shifting or letting the car shift in auto? The pops and crackles happen on the overrun/letting off the gas but remaining in gear. The PDK in normal/standard auto will constantly hunt the correct gear and you won't quite the same sound. Also, I have noticed the car pops and crackles much more as it heats up.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:52 PM
ajeffrey10
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
What kind of X Pipe? And did you ever have only the X Pipe (while keeping the stock side mufflers) on your 991.1? That's the setup I have (no PSE, Sharkwerks X Pipe with stock side mufflers). If so, would be curious to know differences you perceive between that and the PSE, in terms of volume at various RPM levels, and overall ferociousness.
What has been your experience with the Sharkwerks X pipe and the side mufflers? I have a 991.1 C2S and have been contemplating that set up, but I worry about drone. It’s certsinly cheaper than a full exhaust replacement.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:15 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ajeffrey10

What has been your experience with the Sharkwerks X pipe and the side mufflers? I have a 991.1 C2S and have been contemplating that set up, but I worry about drone. It’s certsinly cheaper than a full exhaust replacement.
To put it simply: I LOVE it. I'm addicted to it. Here's how it sounds on your car (I'm pretty sure it's just an X Pipe, if not then I can link videos to 991.1 base's with just Sharkwerks X Pipe, which sounds very similar and about as good).

Old 07-27-2022, 01:48 PM
RP4S911
Pro

Received 567 Likes on 287 Posts

I have PSE and aftermarket exhaust. Even if you had the PSE option (and PSE open) you wouldn't really hear the crackling in normal or sport+, only sport.

This is my car. Sport, PSE open/on. AWE Switchpath Exhaust.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
FullSizeRender (3).MOV (8.17 MB, 21 views)

Quick Reply: 991.1 PSE - no pops and crackles?