Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 discounts

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 10:15 AM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 679 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
The person buying a 150K + car usually knows the one he wants . These are very different cars . The GTS is a fantastic and versatile 911 . It can be driven comfortably on the street in nearly all climates and can make it's way to a track as well. The Gt3 is primarily a track car which can be driven on the street to get to the track. A person who buys a Gt3 thinking he can drive it in the rain, snow , to the movies , and the mall , or the supermarket is buying an impractical, uncomfortable fantasy . Discount or not won;t change this .
There is a guy over in the GT3 sub forum that would completely disagree with you 😂😂😂. Check out his snow pics.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:24 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Plenty of people here Daily drove 996 and even air cooled cars. The 991.1 GT3 is more compliant and refined than those. The 991.2 GT3 is said to be even more compliant. So are you trying to prove a point about the question at hand regarding daily driving a GT3 or building a strawman about why a base 991.1 isn't as cool as a GT3? Why make it personal? Everyone on here has means or they wouldn't have a Porsche - why poke someone in a manner that suggests they can't afford something? Can you? I don't really care either way.
Perfectly said. ^^

Originally Posted by redmonkey928
Plenty DD'able depending on your personal tolerances - the GT3 gets over exaggerated in terms of it being "racer" and too harsh or stiff, etc. It is a street legal vehicle at the end of the day, and was intended for dual purpose which therefor gives it the same ability to drive on public roads as it does on track.

Does it give up some compromises to do both, absolutely. Is a GTS or Carrera S a better creature comfort street drivable vehicle - yes; is a 991 Cup a more capable track car - yes. But then again, you wouldn't advertise either of those aforementioned as being the "best" track 911 (GTS/Carrera models) or "street" 911 (991 Cup).

Again, the GT3 is a great dual purpose - as it was engineered to do so.
Agreed. I don’t drive that many miles, and I don’t think a GT3 would be much if any more “difficult” to live with in my climate than my 991.1 on lowering springs, already loud, and low front splitter. And though it may be rougher around the edges, I more than have tolerance for that as ideally I’d prefer my car to be able to get stiffer, command more involvement while driving, and am more than ok with less isolation.

The 991 is already such an inherently livable and refined chassis, we’re still talking something more refined than a 996/997 and certainly air cooled 911, as R Rated mentioned. And plenty pile miles on those in plenty of comfort to meet their desires.

The way some people talk, you’d think they think it’s a trailer-only vehicle. Lol.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:31 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A

Perfectly said. ^^

Agreed. I don’t drive that many miles, and I don’t think a GT3 would be much if any more “difficult” to live with in my climate than my 991.1 on lowering springs, already loud, and low front splitter. And though it may be rougher around the edges, I more than have tolerance for that as ideally I’d prefer my car to be able to get stiffer, command more involvement while driving, and am more than ok with less isolation.

The 991 is already such an inherently livable and refined chassis, we’re still talking something more refined than a 996/997 and certainly air cooled 911, as R Rated mentioned. And plenty pile miles on those in plenty of comfort to meet their desires.

The way some people talk, you’d think they think it’s a trailer-only vehicle. Lol.
Also - there is a whole brainwashed cult following that thinks the M3/4 is a good daily driver. Many people do it. The GT3's has stiff suspension but it is more comfortable and far less harsh and jarring than an M4 suspension. The Chassis is tighter too. From that perspective, it's great. Size and noise are what people have to decide - and remarkably it's the same size as my POS 991.1; can you believe it? Mine is also louder - #mindblown.... the GT3 is just lower but many of us that drove modded cars in the past have lived with lower cars.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:33 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 618 Likes on 249 Posts

Plenty of people here Daily drove 996 and even air cooled cars. The 991.1 GT3 is more compliant and refined than those. The 991.2 GT3 is said to be even more compliant. So are you trying to prove a point about the question at hand regarding daily driving a GT3 or building a strawman about why a base 991.1 isn't as cool as a GT3? Why make it personal? Everyone on here has means or they wouldn't have a Porsche - why poke someone in a manner that suggests they can't afford something? Can you? I don't really care either way.
This has nothing to do with "coolness" (red herring number 1) but rather the practical nature of daily driving a Gt3 . This also has nothing to do with "affording" it (red herring number 2) but rather is doing it himself and shares his experience . I dont want to hear about "lots of guys" or "other people": because there are also "lots" of those who didnt enjoy it too. It can go both ways . Not that a consensus would mean anything either.

If you feel that you are ready to buy a Gt3 believing that it is "compliant" enough to meet your needs then best wishes to you !!!!
I personally think its nearly as ridiculous as buying a bus as a daily driver but I am sure there might be some "other" person who might disagree .
Old 01-19-2018, 10:35 AM
R_Rated
Banned

This has nothing to do with "coolness" (red herring number 1) but rather the practical nature of daily driving a Gt3 . This also has nothing to do with "affording" it (red herring number 2) but rather is doing it himself and shares his experience . I dont want to hear about "lots of guys" or "other people": because there are also "lots" of those who didnt enjoy it too. It can go both ways . Not that a consensus would mean anything either.

If you feel that you are ready to buy a Gt3 believing that it is "compliant" enough to meet your needs then best wishes to you !!!!
I personally think its nearly as ridiculous as buying a bus as a daily driver but I am sure there might be some "other" person who might disagree .
I don't even daily drive my C2S. My wife would murder me if I bought a GT3 without getting rid of my car.... and since I love having the top come down > GT3....
Old 01-19-2018, 10:36 AM
K-A
Drifting

YOU THINK BUYING A GT3 IS AS RIDICULOUS AS BUYING A BUS AS A DD??

Old 01-19-2018, 10:40 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by K-A

YOU THINK BUYING A GT3 IS AS RIDICULOUS AS BUYING A BUS AS A DD??

Buss is a legit DD if you're a Mormon and/or have sister wives.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:42 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Depends 100% on your tolerance for noise, ride comfort etc. My Pals Wife finds his 997 intolerable. My 991.2 is great and I have lots of room for more noise and a slightly more harsh ride. Some of us LOVE the experience. I guess you don't. To each his own.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:43 AM
K-A
Drifting

Also - there is a whole brainwashed cult following that thinks the M3/4 is a good daily driver. Many people do it. The GT3's has stiff suspension but it is more comfortable and far less harsh and jarring than an M4 suspension. The Chassis is tighter too. From that perspective, it's great. Size and noise are what people have to decide - and remarkably it's the same size as my POS 991.1; can you believe it? Mine is also louder - #mindblown.... the GT3 is just lower but many of us that drove modded cars in the past have lived with lower cars.
Seriously. It’s the same chassis, a lot of our cars are as loud or louder, as low or lower. I consider the GT3 a better backroad carver than a track tool anyway. It can do both, but I don’t think its top priority is peak track numbers (that’s the GT2). Its top priority is peak excitement and entertainment for a real world driver who can also use it as their only car if need be, while also being able run around plenty of (most) cars on a track if so desired.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:48 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by K-A

Seriously. It’s the same chassis, a lot of our cars are as loud or louder, as low or lower. I consider the GT3 a better backroad carver than a track tool anyway. It can do both, but I don’t think it’s top priority is peak track numbers. It’s top priority is excitement and entertainment for a real world driver who can also use it as their only car if need be.
I'd rather drive mine on the back roads.... Cause drop top and my car before had stupid power so I'm over that... Besides - I'm in too far on mods to ever change. I know the GT3 is very linear but I also think that PDK-S is too much for the street. Eventually, I'll get some GT3 sways and springs but I just don't have interest in anymore power. To each their own and I completely understand how many would disagree with this sentiment.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:52 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Best deal in the country - lowest options and least expensive, selling @ MSRP.
http://www.porschedowntownla.com/new...edium=referral
Old 01-19-2018, 10:56 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by redmonkey928

Again, the GT3 is a great dual purpose - as it was engineered to do so.
It amazes me how much consensus on 911 forums point at how plausible a Gt3 could work out . And perhaps it can for someone eager to make sacrifices . In recent times even the sports car has been on the decline and for some even a 911 isnt used daily . I'll speak for myself because I've been there . I was in the car ready to buy it and when i weighed daily driving a Gt3 in Miami (which is relatively smooth compared to snow or pothole terrain ) I felt it would not meet my needs .Perhaps i feel that thee is a big difference between a Sunday drive and an every day drive . I dont feel I am alone on this . If one looks at the average 911 cars on the street the Gt3 is present but it's not the most popular 911 seen even in its price range. If one looked at a 911 forum he might think otherwise . But as i have said all along ..I'd wish anyone the best with it.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:00 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by goin2drt

There is a guy over in the GT3 sub forum that would completely disagree with you 😂😂😂. Check out his snow pics.
They were posted in the Macan forum . I've seen the pics . He clearly made the choice.. There is also a cowboy in New York who sings with no shirt on in the middle December .. Choices .. I suppose.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:06 AM
K-A
Drifting

It amazes me how much consensus on 911 forums point at how plausible a Gt3 could work out . And perhaps it can for someone eager to make sacrifices . In recent times even the sports car has been on the decline and for some even a 911 isnt used daily . I'll speak for myself because I've been there . I was in the car ready to buy it and when i weighed daily driving a Gt3 in Miami (which is relatively smooth compared to snow or pothole terrain ) I felt it would not meet my needs .Perhaps i feel that thee is a big difference between a Sunday drive and an every day drive . I dont feel I am alone on this . If one looks at the average 911 cars on the street the Gt3 is present but it's not the most popular 911 seen even in its price range. If one looked at a 911 forum he might think otherwise . But as i have said all along ..I'd wish anyone the best with it.
GT3 is an enthusiast/specialty car. Not meant to be a volume seller. Not even available during the entire model gens run. And considering how much share it took within a continuously declining .2 Carrera/Turbo U.S sales figure last year, in only a few months of availability, it’s clearly selling considerably more than the Turbo is.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:09 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911boy
Depends 100% on your tolerance for noise, ride comfort etc. My Pals Wife finds his 997 intolerable. My 991.2 is great and I have lots of room for more noise and a slightly more harsh ride. Some of us LOVE the experience. I guess you don't. To each his own.
It's not just a "harsh ride" . The tires , suspension (as you noted) , clearance, ambient noise in traffic or on roads ill fitted for it's primary design purpose. A regular 991.2 was designed to accommodate the street use. It's still a world class vehicle and the more popular choice for the street environment.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 discounts