Sponsored by:

GTS stuck in Port if Houston

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 03:26 PM
CombatChuk
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 11 Posts
Default GTS stuck in Port if Houston

My 911 was on the Siem Cicero which reached Houston last Thursday. Hasn’t gotten on a truck yet, is this normal? I’m fearing that it may have been damaged en route. Any one else on here with a car on that ship?

What also compounded this was my dealers insistence that any check to pay for the car has to wait 10 days to clear, so I paid for a car completely almost two weeks ago (PCNA will hear about that in the survey)
Old 01-18-2018, 03:45 PM
G8tor
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

The 10 days sounds absurd, payed by personal check for our last two Porsches, one new, one used at the time of pickup.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:11 PM
CombatChuk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by G8tor
The 10 days sounds absurd, payed by personal check for our last two Porsches, one new, one used at the time of pickup.
I thought it was absurd. But I wanted to avoid having the 911 arrive at the dealer then waiting 10 days for their "waiting time"
Old 01-18-2018, 05:24 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Was that for any check or just a personal check? Seems like a certified bank check would be good to go.
I am buying my car from out of state and the dealer told me they needed a bank check but only because I was out of state.

I am also curious what the normal time from port arrival to truck is? Mine is about to get on the boat.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:38 PM
9ELOVIN
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Avoid the "check waiting to clear" BS by using a wire transfer. A wire is much safer and indisputable. FYI, any in-state check clears overnight. Ask your dealer if they have heard of these novel contraptions called "computers." Checks drawn on out-of-state banks take 2-3 days.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:39 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

No idea about why a GTS would be held at port. Mine has been at port for more than two weeks but that is because the GT3 touring does not have CARB approval. PCNA even sent me an email saying that they hope I was enjoying my new Porsche. I called, they do not care.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:46 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

Which dealer?
Old 01-18-2018, 06:00 PM
CombatChuk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
Was that for any check or just a personal check? Seems like a certified bank check would be good to go.
I am buying my car from out of state and the dealer told me they needed a bank check but only because I was out of state.

I am also curious what the normal time from port arrival to truck is? Mine is about to get on the boat.
It was for both, I had a personal check for the down payment and a certified bank check from Penfed.

Originally Posted by 9ELOVIN
Avoid the "check waiting to clear" BS by using a wire transfer. A wire is much safer and indisputable. FYI, any in-state check clears overnight. Ask your dealer if they have heard of these novel contraptions called "computers." Checks drawn on out-of-state banks take 2-3 days.
They didn't offer doing a wire transfer

Originally Posted by evilfij
No idea about why a GTS would be held at port. Mine has been at port for more than two weeks but that is because the GT3 touring does not have CARB approval. PCNA even sent me an email saying that they hope I was enjoying my new Porsche. I called, they do not care.
This is what I'm worried about it potentially being damaged in transport.

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR
Which dealer?
Stevinson Imports in Denver, CO
Old 01-18-2018, 06:15 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by CombatChuk
It was for both, I had a personal check for the down payment and a certified bank check from Penfed.

They didn't offer doing a wire transfer

This is what I'm worried about it potentially being damaged in transport.

Stevinson Imports in Denver, CO

I'm surprised at Stevinson. This is my dealer too. I've always written a personal check when I picked up the car. Never had a problem. Never filled out a credit app either in case the check was not good.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:20 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

Just a word of advice and I don't want this to add to your anxiety, but so much can happen at at the dealership -that's the hazard area. Stuff can happen at the port but it's unlikely.

The dealership will have young kids moving the cars around in tight, confined spaces - under pressure and with little supervision. That being said, prior to delivery I would have the car pulled into a well lit area and study the car carefully. Run your fingers along the door jams. Look at the paint and panels at different angles. Bring a pocket flashlight - take your time. Be "that" guy. Better to find an issue there and deal with it (including not taking delivery) as opposed to getting home and discovering a problem. Ask me how I know...
Old 01-18-2018, 07:23 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I would also suggest taking a look at the underside of the car too for scrapes. When I got mine home, I put up on my lift in the garage (where it is usually kept) and I noticed a few days later that one of the exhaust tips was scraped on the underside. I really don’t think I did it. But who can say? In any case, my dealer did the right thing and sent me another one which I swapped out myself.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:31 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 130 Posts

Have been hitting record low temps and had snow (for the second time this winter!) over the weekend. The entire city shut down on Tuesday and part of Wednesday. I would assume this has something to do with your delay??
Old 01-18-2018, 08:25 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

^^^ That was my thought as well. I'll bet transport has been delayed due to weather.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:06 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by bonehead
Have been hitting record low temps and had snow (for the second time this winter!) over the weekend. The entire city shut down on Tuesday and part of Wednesday. I would assume this has something to do with your delay??

Exactly. Much less passing over the mess of bridges to the port for the car , the drivers, or the port workers.

Whats the big deal. Many boats can be slow unloading into port. Nothing like defaulting to the Nuke Options before you even see the car.

And guys say Porsche owners . . well . . good luck with the car. I'd bet it is just fine.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:29 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Probably the weather as others have said. When I was waiting for my car it sat at the port for almost 6 days before arriving at a local dealership which was about 50 miles away. Answer I got......transport driver didn't want to move with the car in the rain.....go figure.............Phil

Quick Reply: GTS stuck in Port if Houston