Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love my N/A flat six. Hate the MF steering wheel that comes with it....

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 04:13 PM
Babakazoo
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OEM. Can't believe how it changed the feel of my rig!
Old 05-27-2018, 10:02 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Babakazoo
Ebay guy

He will build anyway you want. My wheel is nappa leather & alcantara. My stock wheel was soo thin, this is thick, but not mushy. It took a month to build/get here. I just put it on and it has changed the entire feel of my CSC..... it feels tight and like a GTS just driven at the LA Porsche Experience. The steering wheel is built solid, beautiful. The stiching is red and done well.

#customsteeringwheel
#nappaleatheralcantarasteeringwheel
#911steeringwheel
#porschesteeringwheel
#leathersteeringwheel #leatherandalcantarasteeringwheel

I wanna reup this as I’m thinking of getting this wheel. Two questions: Am I seeing an issue with fitment between the OEM plastic piece at the sides and the new, thicker wheel rim? Also, what was cost to install the new wheel?

I’ve basically concluded that my wheel doesn’t bother me, personally enough to spend well over $1K to change, but if I can get it all done for under $1K I’ll do it.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:52 AM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Personally, I would go for the SD wheel or leave it alone. This honestly looks a bit cheap and I think it’s because it just doesn’t fit the MF wheel quite right.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:20 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by phow
Personally, I would go for the SD wheel or leave it alone. This honestly looks a bit cheap and I think it’s because it just doesn’t fit the MF wheel quite right.
Yeah, that would be ideal as it would save me money. It’s odd as sometimes it’ll bug me (like when I made this thread), then sometimes I’ll be fine with it (like in the months thereafter until now).

Here it is with all leather (my wheels face is obviously all black), which looks pretty good imo. But maybe not worth the trouble.

One thing I’m unsure of is whether this wheel comes with its own plastic face, or if you use the existing face. Mine has that PDK plaque at the top (oddly, the only thing about this wheel that I like as it looks kinda cool) which is needed as not only do I like it, but it’s how I see what driving mode my car is in (maybe only Sport+ cars come with it? Some PDK’s do and some don’t).

Old 05-27-2018, 12:25 PM
phow
Pro

I believe the PDK top piece is on cars with the sport chrono package only. Mine had this as well and I agree it’s the best thing about the MF wheel.

I still stand firm that the SD wheel swap is the best mod I made to my 991.1. It increases the overall enjoyment of the car dramatically IMO.

If you are constantly revisiting this topic then you are not happy. I haven’t thought about my wheel since installing the SD wheel and that’s how I know I made the right choice because I went through the exact same thing. I also thought about a modified MF wheel but I knew that would just be a temporary fix and I would eventually do a full swap anyway.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:45 PM
goldduster
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

FYI - there is a SD 991.2 Steering Wheel for sale in the Classified Section. I'm no expert, so I don't know if it would be a match for you.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:24 PM
phow
Pro

Originally Posted by goldduster
FYI - there is a SD 991.2 Steering Wheel for sale in the Classified Section. I'm no expert, so I don't know if it would be a match for you.
The only downside to the .2 SD is that you also have to buy the airbag as well since the .1 bag is larger and won’t work. That puts the total swap cost in territory that makes it a bit more cost prohibitive for most.

I would only do the .2 swap if I was also going to make MF work as well. Right now there is no option for .1 SD and MF on the same wheel which makes the .2 MF appealing.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:11 PM
N2B8TOR
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

When I first got my car I didn’t think much about the MF wheel until I started reading all these posts about people wanting to change out their MF for the SD. So I started looking into doing the same. But I need the functionality of the MF. So I started looking into the 991.2 MF wheels. I visited the dealer and tried the wheels myself a couple times but never really fell in love with them. Feels too plasticky even though they were leather.

Last month I had a chance drive the Macan with the MF wheel for almost 2 weeks. I can say with confidence now that I have absolutely no desire to switch out my 991.1 MF for the 991.2 MF wheel. Even if I can do it for free I’m still a little hesitant. I love my 991.1 MF wheel now. I like th feel of these buttons more than the 991.2 wheel. It looks and feels more luxurious than the 991.2 to me.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:25 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by N2B8TOR
When I first got my car I didn’t think much about the MF wheel until I started reading all these posts about people wanting to change out their MF for the SD. So I started looking into doing the same. But I need the functionality of the MF. So I started looking into the 991.2 MF wheels. I visited the dealer and tried the wheels myself a couple times but never really fell in love with them. Feels too plasticky even though they were leather.

Last month I had a chance drive the Macan with the MF wheel for almost 2 weeks. I can say with confidence now that I have absolutely no desire to switch out my 991.1 MF for the 991.2 MF wheel. Even if I can do it for free I’m still a little hesitant. I love my 991.1 MF wheel now. I like th feel of these buttons more than the 991.2 wheel. It looks and feels more luxurious than the 991.2 to me.
I got a Macan when the .2 style wheel was brand new so am very familiar with it. I know what you mean. I never fell in love with it as much as I thought I would, either. It feels a little cheap with the plastic “faux aluminum” and would reflect sunlight and drive me nuts sometimes. Even some people who swapped from .1 MFD to .2 style maintain that the plastics and buttons on the .1 MFD feel of higher quality. Now, the .2 style wheel with the S+ **** on it and matte black surrounds and real looking metal inserts really improves from its standard form .

Originally Posted by phow
I believe the PDK top piece is on cars with the sport chrono package only. Mine had this as well and I agree it’s the best thing about the MF wheel.

I still stand firm that the SD wheel swap is the best mod I made to my 991.1. It increases the overall enjoyment of the car dramatically IMO.

If you are constantly revisiting this topic then you are not happy. I haven’t thought about my wheel since installing the SD wheel and that’s how I know I made the right choice because I went through the exact same thing. I also thought about a modified MF wheel but I knew that would just be a temporary fix and I would eventually do a full swap anyway.
Yeah exactly. Obviously it bugs me enough to keep pondering the swap. If someone can do me an MFD modification (thicker, new leather) for $600 or under WITH installation, I’ll probably consider it worth it. Otherwise I’d have to weigh whether a new wheel would be cost effective as it starts to move into that territory.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:42 PM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 421 Posts

Like others have said, when I found my car the options were perfect for what I wanted, except for the steering wheel. But I knew I could fix that. Bought the .2 MF wheel on eBay, along with the airbag. Bought the conversion module from the gentleman in Hong Kong and did the work myself. It wasn't cheap, but for me it was money well spent. I'd do i'd over in a heart beat. All total about $2600.00.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:03 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 116 Posts

Question. I have the GT Sports Steering Wheel as a option on my 17 911. Is it leather? I do have leather interior as a option.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:52 AM
FABS991
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

bravo les amis pour vos modifications , ma petite contribution venant de FRANCE ,

Quick Reply: Love my N/A flat six. Hate the MF steering wheel that comes with it....