Sponsored by:

PPF - Pre-cut or Custom Install?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 08:42 PM
no401k
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A

My car is a 2012.5, low mileage, seems probably garaged for over 90% of its time, and I’m imagining the PPF has been on since nearly new.

Is there a “remove by” date on these things? Because the film itself (a little peeling on some lower corners, a couple unnoticeable imperfections where it did its job) seems perfect, so I really don’t want to pay thousands or whatever it costs to remove perfectly good film, just to replace it.

The pre-cut on mine seems great, btw, so I’d recommend that route.
My black 2007 (11 years) with the original clear bra turned a different color than the rest of the unwrapped body, not sure if it's film or the adhesive. I replaced it last summer, and while the PPFs on the metal are easy to peel off, the ones on the plastic (bumper, mirror covers etc.) were a pain in the *** to remove and requires a lot of scrubbing and paint correction afterwards. My red 2010 (8 years) appears ok but the edges have curled up in several places, also replaced a few months ago. So I say probably 7-10 years max. for old films, supposedly the new films are better but it has yet to stand the test of time
Old 01-17-2018, 08:49 PM
no401k
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by SBARacing
Thank you, that is one high premium. 2K for full front vs 5K bumper to bumper. Shoot, was only budgeting around 3K for it
a good compromise is to PPF the front end and ceramic coat the rest of the car. I did this on several cars for 3k a piece.
The PPF will prevent rock chips if you ever take the canyons or go to the track, or debris from the freeway etc. Most of the PPFs are self healing so scuffs and scratches will heal itself in the heat. The ceramic coating will protect the rest of the car, because supposedly it seals up the paint and makes cleaning a lot easier. For cquartz, you just blow the dust off or use reload to keep replenishing the layers of coating. For ceramic pro, you wash and wind blow it dry. The point is to avoid contact as much as possible to avoid swirls and scratches.
Make sure the price includes paint correction, probably the most important step of all. You dont want to seal a imperfect finish under PPF or ceramic coating
Old 01-17-2018, 10:55 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,772 Likes on 4,772 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
Xpel Ultimate has a 10 year warranty.
Ever try calling them out on that warranty? Not just for Xpel, but for any PPF manufacture.

GLWT.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:58 PM
Wimankid
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Appreciate all the feedback & discussion. A lot to digest for doing this the first time. I'll definitely ask to see their work before deciding on which path to proceed.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:52 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 707 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by Wimankid
Have a new 911 on order and am looking to get PPF (didn't get on my Panamera and regret it). I've read the posts on pros & cons of getting PPF installed, but any feedback on whether to go with an installer who uses pre-cut sections/templates (edges show) versus an installer who customer wraps and cuts?
in the end, your installer of choice will have his/her style and you definitely get what you pay for. Below, is a thread showing what our version of a “pre-cut” pattern is. As you’ll see, we take the basic pattern and extend nearly every template to come close to a custom installation as possible, and the results are quite impressive.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1038...nano-tint.html

just research and make sure you see the work in person. Clear bra isn’t something you do every year, so focus should be on coverage and quality of workmanship imho
Old 01-18-2018, 12:55 AM
Joenyc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SBARacing
Guys, does $5K for a bumper to bumper with Xpel on a metallic white sound right to you?
It sounds a little high to me, but that is my first PPF installed car.
it is a bit high. I have a 4s Cabrio with full suntek wrap and modesta coating. I paid 3.8k. Also had the rims and calipers coated .it looks great . Shop it around. I chose the wrap the whole car so it stays uniform the brilliance and it’s quick to wash.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:55 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by no401k
My black 2007 (11 years) with the original clear bra turned a different color than the rest of the unwrapped body, not sure if it's film or the adhesive. I replaced it last summer, and while the PPFs on the metal are easy to peel off, the ones on the plastic (bumper, mirror covers etc.) were a pain in the *** to remove and requires a lot of scrubbing and paint correction afterwards. My red 2010 (8 years) appears ok but the edges have curled up in several places, also replaced a few months ago. So I say probably 7-10 years max. for old films, supposedly the new films are better but it has yet to stand the test of time
Interesting, thanks. Yeah, new PPF's have apparently come a long way since then, so I imagine they would fare even a lot better.

Xpel Ultimate has a 10 year warranty.
Thanks, that makes sense. If my car got it when new, it'll be going on 6 years this year. Seems perfect and I don't notice any discoloration (metallic blue) and the car's always garaged. I figure it should last quite a while.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
No, not really. I think depending on how much sun exposure your car gets, I'd say 4-5 years, I would start to see if the film is yellowing (and all films yellow, just a matter of how much and when).
So far so good with mine, and I'd guess it's at around 5 and a half years. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it, but so far it shows like the rest of the car (the bare paint parts).
Old 01-18-2018, 10:07 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Ever try calling them out on that warranty? Not just for Xpel, but for any PPF manufacture.

GLWT.
No mine remains perfect. What needs calling out is any GLWT assertions that are not backed up. I'm sure you can come up with a one off anecdote or two.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:10 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

No mine remains perfect. What needs calling out is any GLWT assertions that are not backed up. I'm sure you can come up with a one off anecdote or two.

Sadly - it is a PITA to get them to stand by their warranty. Here's the process

> Call Xpel
> routed to field rep
> Field rep tell you he has many porsches and builds a strawman
> Field rep determines it was a bad install and not their film's fault
> Field rep and installer go back and forth
> Field rep determines you have to get the original installer; who they already determined is the cause of all this headache, to redo it.
> Continue to B!tch on public forums where Xpel C suite reads and provide emails and pictures
> Xpel Execs fall on sword and swear it is a one off regardless of patterns
> lean on installer to write a check
> He won't
> Draft a small claims court lawsuit with the emails from Xpel blaming installer and claim 3x damages(normal procedure)
> Installer mails check.

Process takes about 5 months with documented pictures, dates and email communication to validate claim. Unfortunately you need the Xpel to put in writing that it wasn't the films fault but the installers. That's the recipe to have merit in small claims court. Nobody wants to go there but it's also sad when dealing in transactions worth thousands on >100K luxury products there should be more professionals acting like professionals in the way they run their business.

This is another reason to shop your installer. Not just to get the job done right but so that you don't have to go through this and if you do.... A.) they will still be in business and B.) they will stand behind their work and product.

Junior - The shop that did yours in Greenville, SC is a good shop with a long track record and stellar reputation. That's why you can't relate to this. Fortunately! ha!
Old 01-18-2018, 12:46 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Sadly - it is a PITA to get them to stand by their warranty. Here's the process

> Call Xpel
> routed to field rep
> Field rep tell you he has many porsches and builds a strawman
> Field rep determines it was a bad install and not their film's fault
> Field rep and installer go back and forth
> Field rep determines you have to get the original installer; who they already determined is the cause of all this headache, to redo it.
> Continue to B!tch on public forums where Xpel C suite reads and provide emails and pictures
> Xpel Execs fall on sword and swear it is a one off regardless of patterns
> lean on installer to write a check
> He won't
> Draft a small claims court lawsuit with the emails from Xpel blaming installer and claim 3x damages(normal procedure)
> Installer mails check.

Process takes about 5 months with documented pictures, dates and email communication to validate claim. Unfortunately you need the Xpel to put in writing that it wasn't the films fault but the installers. That's the recipe to have merit in small claims court. Nobody wants to go there but it's also sad when dealing in transactions worth thousands on >100K luxury products there should be more professionals acting like professionals in the way they run their business.

This is another reason to shop your installer. Not just to get the job done right but so that you don't have to go through this and if you do.... A.) they will still be in business and B.) they will stand behind their work and product.

Junior - The shop that did yours in Greenville, SC is a good shop with a long track record and stellar reputation. That's why you can't relate to this. Fortunately! ha!
Bummer you had such a bad experience. This is why the focus truly needs to be on an installer, rather than manufacturer. To date, we haven't filed a single claim with XPEL, Suntek, or 3M on behalf of our clients...that doesn't mean there hasn't been any issues with the film. It just means we handle things different. If there's ever ANY issue that we can document and it's not a result of neglect, we simply handle it in-house for our client first, then deal with the manufacturer.

Our client's time is valuable and so is our reputation. That's one reason we charge what we do...we take the time to handle these problems, and if anyone knows business, the consumer pays a premium for this level of attention and customer service.

That's why it blows me away sometimes when I read comments like "is $4-5K too much for a full clear bra wrap on a 911"...to me, that's WAAAYYYY too low. The margins on that are so thin, that if anything ever goes wrong, say you have to replace the giant piece that covers the side of the car, good luck trying to get a warranty claim done ASAP...you get what you pay for gents...not just the install, but post install for years to come. This isn't something you do every year...with new film technology, films will last years, and on a $100+K car, whats a few thousand $$s to get the peace of mind?
Old 01-18-2018, 12:55 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Bummer you had such a bad experience. This is why the focus truly needs to be on an installer, rather than manufacturer. To date, we haven't filed a single claim with XPEL, Suntek, or 3M on behalf of our clients...that doesn't mean there hasn't been any issues with the film. It just means we handle things different. If there's ever ANY issue that we can document and it's not a result of neglect, we simply handle it in-house for our client first, then deal with the manufacturer.

Our client's time is valuable and so is our reputation. That's one reason we charge what we do...we take the time to handle these problems, and if anyone knows business, the consumer pays a premium for this level of attention and customer service.

That's why it blows me away sometimes when I read comments like "is $4-5K too much for a full clear bra wrap on a 911"...to me, that's WAAAYYYY too low. The margins on that are so thin, that if anything ever goes wrong, say you have to replace the giant piece that covers the side of the car, good luck trying to get a warranty claim done ASAP...you get what you pay for gents...not just the install, but post install for years to come. This isn't something you do every year...with new film technology, films will last years, and on a $100+K car, whats a few thousand $$s to get the peace of mind?
That's the way it should be.... for the record.... This process was after multiple attempts at working with installer. He was young and I even offered to pay for half the labor to have a guy that's been doing it a long time come in and help redo it.... thought that would ensure i got it done right and help out a young guy to get some training.... He blamed it on the film - the film blamed him and round we went.

If you're OCD meter is high enough to get film at all... why would you not do it right knowing that for years, a hack job would drive you nuts and take away from the enjoyment of the car. Just do it right.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:01 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by R_Rated
That's the way it should be.... for the record.... This process was after multiple attempts at working with installer. He was young and I even offered to pay for half the labor to have a guy that's been doing it a long time come in and help redo it.... thought that would ensure i got it done right and help out a young guy to get some training.... He blamed it on the film - the film blamed him and round we went.

If you're OCD meter is high enough to get film at all... why would you not do it right knowing that for years, a hack job would drive you nuts and take away from the enjoyment of the car. Just do it right.
+1...thank you for sharing your story
Old 01-18-2018, 01:50 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
+1...thank you for sharing your story
One that was a whole lot more about the installer and customer than the product. If the alternative is to go without protection no thanks.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:00 PM
R_Rated
Banned

One that was a whole lot more about the installer and customer than the product. If the alternative is to go without protection no thanks.
Yes - but also how the manufacturer handles the warranty.

Installer is key - can't shout that enough.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:39 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Focus first on finding the most qualified installer. Consult with them and explain what's important to you. They should take some time to educate you about the options they offer and then you should organically come to the ideal solution.

PPF is not one size fits all no matter what someone says.

Quick Reply: PPF - Pre-cut or Custom Install?