991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much do dealers give you on trade in

Old 01-16-2018, 07:55 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 119 Posts

OC991, here's the truth of the matter; if Porsche had charged you $24,000 more the first time around you'd have paid it. Porsche makes up a number for MSRP and we pay it, simple as that. i.e. "987 Cayman costs $5,000 MORE than 987 Boxster, because we say so." People who wanted a Cayman bought it.

So you can just look at it as no different than what would have happened if Porsche had said "We declare MSRP is $24,000 more" the week before you took delivery of your car. You'd still have paid it. Most of us would.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:58 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 919 Likes on 530 Posts

too many variables at play at trade in time
does the car need tires?
any scratches on wheels that need work
overall condition of car : paint , interior, mileage relative to year etc
overall economy and stock market
supply of new cars and similar used cars. If Porsche is giving dealers 10 k to move 911 at the time that will filter down to used car value
but overall a 90 k car will cost you 1200-1500 a month so for 2 years assume 30 k give or take
Old 01-16-2018, 08:16 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

As to the question of this thread. I would NEVER trade in a car. Unless I like throwing tens of thousands of dollars into a toilet.

I’ve sold countless cars private party, and it takes some patience, but I’ve always come out way ahead of the alternative. I’ve sold cars for barely less than I bought it for, vastly outperformed trade in depreciation, or even sold for higher than I’ve bought the cars.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:42 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by OC 991
I get it... sounds like stupid thing to do
Even crazier... I could have bought a brand new 991.2 for the same $ I bought back my old 991.1
Hey when you build a car exactly how you like it, end up waiting over 10 months for it and had it customized...
The choice of redoing all that was just not something I was interested in (again).
Soooo like a sucker I paid 24K more for the same damn car...
At least it's still a 1 owner car!
pics - specs on car? I'm curious now!
Old 01-16-2018, 10:22 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default 75 % actual value

Is a pretty good rule of thumb. They figure 10% to cover G&A, 5 % prep cost, 10% profit.

Originally Posted by kage65
Just trying to get an idea of total cost. On a car like this one
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=195265747
if you drove for it for lets say two years and put maybe 10k miles on it, how much could you expect a dealer to give you for it at that time , if it is not a trade in ( just selling it and not buying another car from them)
2) How much will the dealer then mark it up when they sell it again?

Tks
Old 01-16-2018, 12:37 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
As to the question of this thread. I would NEVER trade in a car. Unless I like throwing tens of thousands of dollars into a toilet.

I’ve sold countless cars private party, and it takes some patience, but I’ve always come out way ahead of the alternative. I’ve sold cars for barely less than I bought it for, vastly outperformed trade in depreciation, or even sold for higher than I’ve bought the cars.
It all depends. I live in a state where I only pay sales tax on the new car purchase price minus trade-in,.....and when you start talking in the six-figure+ area that's a pretty good chunk of change. The last two times I have traded in a car I may have been able to squeak out another couple of grand if I sold it outright, but I've done that before and it can be a hassle and time is money. For each purchase I investigate both sides, but the last two times the trade-in was the best compromise.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:21 PM
kage65
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by djrizon
Did anyone else notice the accident report on the car?

If you are really uncertain on long term ownership; Jump in a lease or Porsche recently rolled out their passport program which allows you to rent cars starting at $2,000 a month. No long term commitments..

I figure within a month or two you can figure if it fits for you and best off not a large loss and tax mitigation
Rent one starting at 2k month? Never heard of that. That would be perfect.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:40 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
I live in a state where I only pay sales tax on the new car purchase price minus trade-in,.
+1

Trading in a car can help mitigate paying sales tax twice in some states....
Old 01-16-2018, 02:33 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

What I figured out is:
If I pay 83, (plus 6% tax) comes out to $88k . If for some reason a month later I decide I don't like it, and they buy it back for 62, I've lost $26k unless there is something I'm missing on the tax side of things.
Driving it for the next two years would be around $15k per year ( not including insurance or gas).
So if I go for it I better make sure I like it.
Dealers buy at wholesale. Also, they are just like us when it comes time to buy a car: they want to pay the absolute least they can. So if a buyer buys his car for $90K (retail price) and sells it to the dealer a month later at the wholesale price, the guy's going to take a big hit. OTOH if the guy sells the car himself, the pain will be far less, especially if it's a very desirable car. For example a friend of mine sold his GT4 back to the dealer for the same price he paid, and that was after nearly two years of ownership. If you were one of the fortunate owners of a 911R who paid sticker, you can sell for about double the price you paid.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:21 PM
OC 991
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Holy crap! On the plus side, you know you two are meant to be!

And I'm sure you have the humility to appreciate this (we all have to when moving around chunks of money, be it in investments, cars, etc.) but I am going to remember your story every time I make a financial decision I want to kick myself over.
LOL

I wish had enough humility to let it be like this... sigh, I've got a long way to go still.
Nope nothing dramatic (well at least not financially) just a lot of moving parts... relocated, house/condo? lease before buying (find the right area), was out of the country for 4 months, etc.
Wife was not happy... bought new toys before actually finding a new primary residence lol (boys will be boys)
And I enjoyed playing the field a bit, variety is the spice of life...
But I found out, it's actually true... Porsche, there is no substitute.

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
OC991, here's the truth of the matter; if Porsche had charged you $24,000 more the first time around you'd have paid it. Porsche makes up a number for MSRP and we pay it, simple as that. i.e. "987 Cayman costs $5,000 MORE than 987 Boxster, because we say so." People who wanted a Cayman bought it.

So you can just look at it as no different than what would have happened if Porsche had said "We declare MSRP is $24,000 more" the week before you took delivery of your car. You'd still have paid it. Most of us would.
Very "Zen" not sure if that's in my nature as I love to weal and deal.
But you're right, they can ask whatever they want.
That said PAG should be careful... because with their ever higher $$ I did leave the fold and bought a used MP412C instead of buying a new GTS 991.2 for similar $$.

Originally Posted by K-A

Yeah I used to but just got tired of dealing with tire kickers, plus I just don't let anyone drive my cars... rather sell it to the dealer at a loss.
I know doesn't make any sense but it is way it is.
Originally Posted by R_Rated
pics - specs on car? I'm curious now!
2014 C4S cab build exactly how I wanted.
Nothing special, just to me.

If you guys have any other questions just PM me, I don't want to highjack this thread... (anymore).
Cheers!
Old 01-16-2018, 05:27 PM
OC 991
Instructor

First my apologies for the OT posts!
Sometimes the context or "color" in a reply can become distracting.

To answer your question above...
PCNA recently released a program where you can lease a 719 or 991 for something 2 to 3K per month.
With a maximum of 2 months in the same car.
Right now it's only in Atlanta but they are talking about also bringing it to LA.
Guess it's relayed to the Porsche experience centres... perhaps the cars they have there are used additionally for this program.
Will see if I can find the link to this program.
Cheers!
Old 01-16-2018, 09:17 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by OC 991
First my apologies for the OT posts!
Sometimes the context or "color" in a reply can become distracting.

To answer your question above...
PCNA recently released a program where you can lease a 719 or 991 for something 2 to 3K per month.
With a maximum of 2 months in the same car.
Right now it's only in Atlanta but they are talking about also bringing it to LA.
Guess it's relayed to the Porsche experience centres... perhaps the cars they have there are used additionally for this program.
Will see if I can find the link to this program.
Cheers!
I'd have to look up the details and I'm famously lazy, but iirc, you have to sign a lease with a definite term, just like any other lease. Then, you can pick up different cars (they deliver them to you around town and take back the old one) just about as often as you like. Drive a Cayenne Turbo all week and have them bring you a Carrera S for the weekend, or a Boxster S for a trip to the coast. But I'm pretty sure you have to be committed for a normal lease length of time.

The $2000 payment gets you access to 718s, some levels of Macan, maybe lower-spec Cayennes, I think that was it. The $3000 level opens it up to Carreras, Pannys and higher spec SUVs.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:43 PM
OC 991
Instructor

OK here's the link.
hmmm that didn't work... OK alternately copy/past this www.porschepassport.com

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I'd have to look up the details and I'm famously lazy, but iirc, you have to sign a lease with a definite term, just like any other lease. Then, you can pick up different cars (they deliver them to you around town and take back the old one) just about as often as you like. Drive a Cayenne Turbo all week and have them bring you a Carrera S for the weekend, or a Boxster S for a trip to the coast. But I'm pretty sure you have to be committed for a normal lease length of time.

The $2000 payment gets you access to 718s, some levels of Macan, maybe lower-spec Cayennes, I think that was it. The $3000 level opens it up to Carreras, Pannys and higher spec SUVs.
I don't know about that...
They are presenting it as as "concierge service", most of those types of services I've used are focused on short term, high-end.
Although they do provide longer term as well.
I'm sure it'll give a definitive answer but...I was to lazy to actually read the whole thing myself
Old 01-17-2018, 04:54 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
It all depends. I live in a state where I only pay sales tax on the new car purchase price minus trade-in,.....and when you start talking in the six-figure+ area that's a pretty good chunk of change. The last two times I have traded in a car I may have been able to squeak out another couple of grand if I sold it outright, but I've done that before and it can be a hassle and time is money. For each purchase I investigate both sides, but the last two times the trade-in was the best compromise.
Yeah if you live in a state where taxes come into play, then it can start to get closer. With my 2.5 year old Macan, I sold the car private party for like $12K more than a dealer offered me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how much do dealers give you on trade in