Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 991
Reload this Page >

Oil questions: How low should level get before top-off & Can you mix brands/viscosity

Notices
Sponsored by:

Oil questions: How low should level get before top-off & Can you mix brands/viscosity

Old 01-15-2018, 06:38 PM
Need4S
User

Originally Posted by R_Rated View Post
My suggestion is to just change the oil. 11 months is close enough to a year and this way you know exactly what and exactly how much is used. When in doubt - an oil change is cheap insurance and it needs to be done annually regardless of miles anyway IMO - YMMV.
I agree. Just change it. And yes, you can change brands when you do this or have it done. If in doubt as to whether to add now, it's better to be a little low (so long as the indicators show green bars and don't tell you to add) than to overfill, which can cause engine damage.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:03 PM
Gordon Shumway
User

Originally Posted by gearboxtrouble View Post
2 bars is actually perfect. The biggest pain with oil in these engines is actually overfilling them. If you really do need a top up, the car will let you know and tell you how much is needed. If its anything like other cars I've owned the top up message pops up before you're really at levels that pose any sort of risk so you should have plenty of wiggle room.
I'm not smart enough to argue what is the perfect level, but I wouldn't disagree with what you say. Too many people think it needs to be filled to the MAX line, which is counter-intuitive. It wouldn't be labeled MAX, if it were ideal. The lead mechanic at my dealership told me that Porsche's guidance to them is fill to 3 bars.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:33 PM
BlueNorther
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
...Maybe I am a bit of a codger, but I change my oil so much you can never see it on the dipstick with any oil so I sometimes throw a quart of royal purple in so I can see the oil on the stick.
What's a dipstick?

LOL
Old 01-15-2018, 08:39 PM
BlueNorther
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
I'm not smart enough to argue what is the perfect level, but I wouldn't disagree with what you say. Too many people think it needs to be filled to the MAX line, which is counter-intuitive. It wouldn't be labeled MAX, if it were ideal. The lead mechanic at my dealership told me that Porsche's guidance to them is fill to 3 bars.
I check the oil once a week, in my garage after the engine off for a minute, after my commute. I keep the level at 5 green bars. When it drops to 4 bars, I add a little, 200 ml or so. My rationale is that I am never surprised by a low level, I keep track of how much oil my car is using, and the engine has the maximum safe amount of oil to do its job, with some newer stuff thrown. Makes sense to me.

Porsche could say fill to 3 bars after their service since they will save scads of oil and thus $$ over the lifetime of the dealership.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:40 PM
RDCR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Talking

Where's Jake Raby when you need him?
Old 01-15-2018, 08:44 PM
LexVan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RDCR View Post
Where's Jake Raby when you need him?
And the oils (Driven DT40) he co-developed with Lake Speed over at Gibbs are one of the least compatible oils with Mobil, and others. Hence don't mixy.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:58 PM
K-A
Super User

Thanks guys! Great info all around.

I spoke to an SA today (my original SA who always took care of me is gone.... grrrrr), and he said mixing brands and viscosities for a top off is ok, so seems a little mixed, but I guess why mess with it or try it if I can just get the current formula. Also, good to know about the two bars being good. I’ll drive and see what the bars look like after driving as well (do they generally rise with heat?). But looks like I won’t have to touch it, or just wait till the oil change (sucks to have to change out literally brand new oil, not even 2K on this change..... funny how if I lived in Europe, all of a sudden waiting another year would be “acceptible” as they have a 2 year rule as opposed to our 1).

As for the oil warning light (for low oil); does the display notify you when you’re getting NEAR low, or when you’re already too low? I’d imagine any remotely smart brand would do the former, but in the manual it seems to allude to NOT waiting until the warning message comes on, as that may mean it’s already in dangerous territory. Seems odd and maybe I read it wrong, but it’s given mixed messages.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:20 PM
Gordon Shumway
User

Originally Posted by BlueNorther View Post
I check the oil once a week, in my garage after the engine off for a minute, after my commute. I keep the level at 5 green bars. When it drops to 4 bars, I add a little, 200 ml or so. My rationale is that I am never surprised by a low level, I keep track of how much oil my car is using, and the engine has the maximum safe amount of oil to do its job, with some newer stuff thrown. Makes sense to me.

Porsche could say fill to 3 bars after their service since they will save scads of oil and thus $$ over the lifetime of the dealership.
There are only 4 bars between Min & Max. Porsche is saying 3 bars, which is one bar below Max. Why would you even want to fill it to the Max? Anything over that is considered a problem, so why would you want to be on the edge of OK vs. bad?

And please tell me you don't really believe that Porsche oil level guidance is a conspiracy to save the dealers a ton of money. I'm pretty sure telling them to use less oil than is necessary will cost them a lot more money than the dealers will save on oil.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:40 PM
BlueNorther
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
There are only 4 bars between Min & Max. Porsche is saying 3 bars, which is one bar below Max. Why would you even want to fill it to the Max? Anything over that is considered a problem, so why would you want to be on the edge of OK vs. bad?

And please tell me you don't really believe that Porsche oil level guidance is a conspiracy to save the dealers a ton of money. I'm pretty sure telling them to use less oil than is necessary will cost them a lot more money than the dealers will save on oil.

Ah yes, pardon, to 4 bars not 5. But topped off is not over filled. I've never over filled with this method, so not a problem. YMMV (Actually my 06 Cayman was sent from dealer with 1 bar over max, I thought it was normal (until it dropped and then I read the manual --RTFM!) and fortunately no harm done. It must be designed to allow some room for error.)

My main point is to check your oil regularly and add small amounts as needed to avoid surprises and avoid overfilling in these non dipstick cars.

Sorry, second part was tongue in cheek, I'm not a conspiracy theory type. My guess is they shoot for 3 bars since they don't want the risk of going over and having to drain oil.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:28 PM
evilfij
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlueNorther View Post
What's a dipstick?

LOL
Good point. Lol. A non-issue on a 991, but I was mentioning it in the context of mixing oils. My 993 has a couple quarts of royal purple in it with the Mobil 1 and some ZDDP additive.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:49 AM
K-A
Super User

To seek some clarity on this, even though it doesn’t apply to me currently (but good to know, regardless):

Does anyone know for sure whether the car will warn you when you are getting NEAR a level of needing a refill (i.e well out of a danger zone, but warning that you may be entering it) (and now I have Kenny Logins in my head), or if it warns you, does that mean that you are ALREADY in a danger zone.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:07 AM
Porsche_nuts
Super User

Originally Posted by K-A View Post
To seek some clarity on this, even though it doesn’t apply to me currently (but good to know, regardless):

Does anyone know for sure whether the car will warn you when you are getting NEAR a level of needing a refill (i.e well out of a danger zone, but warning that you may be entering it) (and now I have Kenny Logins in my head), or if it warns you, does that mean that you are ALREADY in a danger zone.
There are two warnings thrown - one is yellow when oil levels are at minimum and another which is red when oil level is below minimum

Old 01-16-2018, 08:14 AM
K-A
Super User

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts View Post
There are two warnings thrown - one is yellow when oil levels are at minimum and another which is red when oil level is below minimum

Thanks! I got mixed messages from what I read in my manual. But it was late and I may have understood incorrectly.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:09 AM
.2PDK
User

Originally Posted by gearboxtrouble View Post
2 bars is actually perfect. The biggest pain with oil in these engines is actually overfilling them. If you really do need a top up, the car will let you know and tell you how much is needed. If its anything like other cars I've owned the top up message pops up before you're really at levels that pose any sort of risk so you should have plenty of wiggle room.
This.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:28 AM
Valvefloat991
User

Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
One point makes no sense and that is that mixing to top up is not ok but changing brands at the next interval is ok. There will be a lot of left over oil after a change. Personally I think mixing brands/viscosities is a non-issue. Maybe I am a bit of a codger, but I change my oil so much you can never see it on the dipstick with any oil so I sometimes throw a quart of royal purple in so I can see the oil on the stick.
Exactly right, there is some five liters of oil that doesn't drain when you change the oil. So you're going to be mixing no matter what.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil questions: How low should level get before top-off & Can you mix brands/viscosity

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: