Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Porsche Not Manufacturing Gas Cars for 3 months and help with targa colors! (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1043208-porsche-not-manufacturing-gas-cars-for-3-months-and-help-with-targa-colors.html)

GTMurray 01-14-2018 02:07 PM

Porsche Not Manufacturing Gas Cars for 3 months and help with targa colors!

My UK dealer told me yesterday due to wanting to focus on emissions, which have got their sister companies in trouble, porsche will not be making gas cars between april and september, only diesel and hybrids. So your orders may be moved forward or slightly altered. I ordered a Targa GTS in december and I am now being pushed into a 4S targa and with possible march delivery, when it should have been about June / July.
Moving on..... help please. I could go for a black targa, silver bar, silver wheels, classic, but want something that stands out a little more.... so please read below..

Ive never owned a 911 before and to be honest I prefer the size and style of the early 1970's, but Im not ready to do a classic weekend under the car thing and the new 911 is not exactly a bad looking car, just a bit big and GT ish. However, the Targa is very good looking and so I have decided on it, although tempted by the new AM vantage, but maybe best wait until they iron out early issues they may well have with this very new car. So I accept the targa is not going to give me the same thrills as my caterham, very few cars will, not even a Cayman GT4, but anyway.. on to the point.

These are my two build options and I would appreciate opinions on Color Combos, but preferably from those having seen the actual colors in person as they look quite different than on the configurator. I guess I am looking mainly at the color of the roof and interior. I think a blue roof goes well with a blue/grey exterior and a brown roof goes well with crayon, which is almost a creamy extremely light brown color. In terms of the options, well thats just personal choice and wont effect me too much. I was thinking distance control, but as someone once said, for less than about 15k miles a year, I dont think its worth it and dont think it will interest on resale that much. Rear wheel steering is another thing that I thought of, but for a targa, hardly necessary and the turning circle at low speeds is reduced only very slightly, maybe 7%. Sports exhaust on a targa, again a luxury I wont use much, I have enough exhaust noise on the caterham with no radio.

in terms of the roof, yes black is a safe bet, but a bit boring.... I just wonder how many would be put off by these combinations, I think they go well....

And for your interest, in the UK< there are no discounts to be had at all, they can sell double the cars they actually do.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ3P6JQ9 . - blue
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJPFN4E6 . - crayon

thanks!

amelen 01-14-2018 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by GTMurray (Post 14730404)
porsche will not be making gas cars between april and september

I haven't heard anyone else mention anything about this. I really doubt Porsche would stop production like that (especially across the board on all models).

GTMurray 01-14-2018 02:22 PM

I can only say what I was told by the sales manager. In the UK at least, Macans sell more in deisel than gasoline (petrol) and Macans outsell 911's by 4 to 1, so its not a disaster for them, but clearly its not ideal. Cayanne are to release a new one very soon, so well...
I can also say my delivery has been brought forward, lets see next week if others see the same thing......

STG 01-14-2018 02:24 PM

April - September is more than 3 months

I know there is something going on with factory construction regarding Mission E. I'm sure that will disrupt something

jnolan 01-14-2018 02:35 PM

Diesel vehicle sales have been in a freefall across Europe; last year alone saw a 31% decrease in diesel vehicle sales in the UK, 40% in Germany, and similiar stats across the major markets in the EU. With that in mind, I find it pretty hard to believe that Porsche would be halting gasoline production to focus on diesel. If it were me, I’d go talk with a different dealer.

GTMurray 01-14-2018 02:44 PM

they are bringing my delivery forward, so works for me. they are not focusing on deisel, they are trying to avoid billion dollar fines for emissions...
anyway, we will see....

Al.Fresco 01-14-2018 02:46 PM

I prefer your blue setup. Car, top and interior colors all well coordinated. Very sharp!!

Hurricane 01-14-2018 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by GTMurray (Post 14730404)
My UK dealer told me yesterday due to wanting to focus on emissions, which have got their sister companies in trouble, porsche will not be making gas cars between april and september, only diesel and hybrids. So your orders may be moved forward or slightly altered. I ordered a Targa GTS in december and I am now being pushed into a 4S targa and with possible march delivery, when it should have been about June / July.
Moving on..... help please. I could go for a black targa, silver bar, silver wheels, classic, but want something that stands out a little more.... so please read below..

Ive never owned a 911 before and to be honest I prefer the size and style of the early 1970's, but Im not ready to do a classic weekend under the car thing and the new 911 is not exactly a bad looking car, just a bit big and GT ish. However, the Targa is very good looking and so I have decided on it, although tempted by the new AM vantage, but maybe best wait until they iron out early issues they may well have with this very new car. So I accept the targa is not going to give me the same thrills as my caterham, very few cars will, not even a Cayman GT4, but anyway.. on to the point.

These are my two build options and I would appreciate opinions on Color Combos, but preferably from those having seen the actual colors in person as they look quite different than on the configurator. I guess I am looking mainly at the color of the roof and interior. I think a blue roof goes well with a blue/grey exterior and a brown roof goes well with crayon, which is almost a creamy extremely light brown color. In terms of the options, well thats just personal choice and wont effect me too much. I was thinking distance control, but as someone once said, for less than about 15k miles a year, I dont think its worth it and dont think it will interest on resale that much. Rear wheel steering is another thing that I thought of, but for a targa, hardly necessary and the turning circle at low speeds is reduced only very slightly, maybe 7%. Sports exhaust on a targa, again a luxury I wont use much, I have enough exhaust noise on the caterham with no radio.

in terms of the roof, yes black is a safe bet, but a bit boring.... I just wonder how many would be put off by these combinations, I think they go well....

And for your interest, in the UK< there are no discounts to be had at all, they can sell double the cars they actually do.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ3P6JQ9 . - blue
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJPFN4E6 . - crayon

thanks!

This is not the first I have heard of this (from UK sources this week) and my US dealer made a comment to me (that I posted in another thread) last week that aligns with this as well. Not saying it is true, just that this isn't the first time I have heard of this.

DPHANS 01-14-2018 02:49 PM

Maybe Porsche 991-2 will have Ad-Blue (Otto-Blue) as a emission system. but will it fit in a 911? Tank in front?
I Think MB and BMW will also have Ad-Blue on all cars.
Maybe this is one reason for delayed order...
BR

Hurricane 01-14-2018 02:50 PM

Read elsewhere of a guy (in UK) who ordered a GTS cab in November...was offered by dealer in early Jan to switch to GTS Targa or wait until April...and then who knows what would happen.

Hurricane 01-14-2018 02:52 PM

All rumors...just sharing what I have read elsewhere. I have no idea what the ground truth is.

GTMurray 01-14-2018 02:55 PM

thanks for the opinion Al fresco, you just dont see many with blue roofs.... was not sure if it was a no no...

rwschill 01-14-2018 11:28 PM

I was told by a dealer in CA that 2018 911 allocations were reduced due to and emission issue in Europe. Therefore higher prices. It could also be winding down the 991.2 inventory to get ready for the launch of the 992 model.

Archimedes 01-15-2018 12:06 AM

There are GT3 builds scheduled through the summer that were confirmed by Porsche in the last week, so this cannot be true.

R_Rated 01-15-2018 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by GTMurray (Post 14730431)
I can only say what I was told by the sales manager. In the UK at least, Macans sell more in deisel than gasoline (petrol) and Macans outsell 911's by 4 to 1, so its not a disaster for them, but clearly its not ideal. Cayanne are to release a new one very soon, so well...
I can also say my delivery has been brought forward, lets see next week if others see the same thing......

this isn’t accurate universally. In the US nobody is buying deisel and they don’t even offer it in the Macan here.