Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Porsche Not Manufacturing Gas Cars for 3 months and help with targa colors! (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1043208-porsche-not-manufacturing-gas-cars-for-3-months-and-help-with-targa-colors.html)

yrralis1 01-15-2018 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by rwschill (Post 14731264)
I was told by a dealer in CA that 2018 911 allocations were reduced due to and emission issue in Europe. Therefore higher prices. It could also be winding down the 991.2 inventory to get ready for the launch of the 992 model.

I inquired about a Carrera T for a friend. My local dealership has two available (locked) incoming due in April . I was told that " expect new cars to be held at the port" and my guess that refers any new variant . Emissions tend to be an overall focus . The VW scandal raised the issue in the US and in the EU it seems more dependent on regional policies.
Just as the new cayenne was supposed to arrive but hasn't I think the 992 wont be here for awhile either .

ENCT 01-15-2018 06:43 AM

I was told reduced 911's due to construction or reconstruction of factory to build Mission E.
Eric

K-A 01-15-2018 07:10 AM

I’ve said this before, but one of the largest dealers in the country told me that they can count their 2018 911 allocations on nearly one hand, for the first half of the year. Said Porsche will be putting all hands on deck for the Cayenne and Panamera. Not sure if it’s accurate, but the vibe I got was that he was being truthful. Though who knows with them.

wareaglescott 01-15-2018 08:46 AM

Not disputing what the OP was told but in the 4 months since I have ordered my car and have been waiting and spending to much time on the forum I have heard:

1. Turbo plant manufacturer fire - big delays on 911 production
2. Assembly line workers going on strike
3. European regs changing over the summer so the bulk of the cars are going to Europe before then so they can get in before the law changes.
4. Now no gas cars built for 3 months.

Whether any of these are true I have no idea. Ordered and waited for quite a few cars from different manufacturers over the years and never once has anything popped up during the process that has given me concern over when my car will arrive.
Maybe Porsche marketing just works extra hard to try and artificially drive up demand or something. Maybe all of us on the forum are just way to crazy worrying about our cars. Dont even get me started on what goes on over on the GT3 board with all the ADM talk and availability. haha

K-A 01-15-2018 08:51 AM

Yikes. I have a hunch that 2018 might be the lowest 911 sales year we’ve seen (at least in U.S). At least in some time.

John Mclane 01-15-2018 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by rwschill
I was told by a dealer in CA that 2018 911 allocations were reduced due to and emission issue in Europe. Therefore higher prices. It could also be winding down the 991.2 inventory to get ready for the launch of the 992 model.

This is most likely the truth. They did the same back in '12. Besides, the factories are different. The Stuttgart plant is probably going to be refurbished for the new line. That, in addition to training and organizing, should take about 3-4 months. The Leipzig plant keeps on going with the 4 doors.
I would wait, even to shop for a barely used 991.2 once the 992 comes out.

Gordon Shumway 01-15-2018 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by wareaglescott (Post 14731636)
Not disputing what the OP was told but in the 4 months since I have ordered my car and have been waiting and spending to much time on the forum I have heard:

3. European regs changing over the summer so the bulk of the cars are going to Europe before then so they can get in before the law changes.

Whether any of these are true I have no idea. Ordered and waited for quite a few cars from different manufacturers over the years and never once has anything popped up during the process that has given me concern over when my car will arrive.
Maybe Porsche marketing just works extra hard to try and artificially drive up demand or something. Maybe all of us on the forum are just way to crazy worrying about our cars. Dont even get me started on what goes on over on the GT3 board with all the ADM talk and availability. haha

You forgot to list the unknown parts shortage affecting only the GTS that came up in November. :evilgrin:

wareaglescott 01-15-2018 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway (Post 14731752)
You forgot to list the unknown parts shortage affecting only the GTS that came up in November. :evilgrin:

Yes thanks. I knew there was more but couldn't remember everything!!

subshooter 01-15-2018 10:53 AM

This is the same issue as Number 1.

FloridaMarco 01-15-2018 10:55 AM

Wow, love the blue car -- and the blue top really sets it off. I have a 991.1 in Midnight Blue with a blue top, but your body color really pops with that top. Mine just sort of "blends in" better than with a black top.

KM1959 01-15-2018 11:07 AM

I saw a chalk, or crayon, targa last week at the Woodland Hills, CA dealer and it looked spectacular. Way, way nicer than the car in the configurator. Just classy and badass at the same time - which is not easy. Chalk and graphite blue are my top choices. If I could pick between the two I would have.

Hurricane 01-15-2018 12:55 PM

https://media1.tenor.com/images/b875...a610/tenor.gif

GTMurray 01-15-2018 07:28 PM

thanks.... Im now actually reconsidering, not the color combo, but whether to wait for a 992 as I doubt I will buy another car for such a price in the next 5 10 years, may as well get the latest shape....

GTMurray 01-15-2018 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by FloridaMarco (Post 14731825)
Wow, love the blue car -- and the blue top really sets it off. I have a 991.1 in Midnight Blue with a blue top, but your body color really pops with that top. Mine just sort of "blends in" better than with a black top.

thanks!

yrralis1 01-16-2018 01:37 AM

I have a feeling that if you ordered a car and it "locked" then it's going to get here on time .