Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question after getting winter tires mounted & balanced

Old 01-13-2018, 12:16 AM
BeepBeep88
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Question after getting winter tires mounted & balanced

Picked up the weekend car from a local Porsche garage early this afternoon after getting my winter tires mounted and balanced. I was in a rush and quickly checked for scuff marks on the rims / centerlocks but that’s it. When I did a slower walk around a few hours later I noticed a blue strip on each of the rims.

What do you guys, gals think? Can I remove? They don’t seem like counter weights as they’re soft to the touch. I think the garage taped up my rims to protect during the process so maybe it’s left over from that?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Old 01-13-2018, 01:16 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Hard to tell in a picture. Might just be a top layer of film. My wheel weighs have a film layer from Tire Rack that easily peels off. But it's clear, not blue like yours.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:15 AM
OC 991
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Like Lex said, hard to tell by the pics but...if there's no actual weights there then it's the adhesive strip of the old weights.
They were to lazy to remove that...never seen it in blue though.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:21 AM
BeepBeep88
Instructor

Talking

Originally Posted by LexVan
Hard to tell in a picture. Might just be a top layer of film. My wheel weighs have a film layer from Tire Rack that easily peels off. But it's clear, not blue like yours.
Thanks LexVan - maybe I’ll hit the local Porsche dealer today to ask service and in the meantime I’ll leave it be just in case. Will not let this stop
me from enjoying my morning coffee run! Thanks again.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:31 AM
BeepBeep88
Instructor

Originally Posted by OC 991
Like Lex said, hard to tell by the pics but...if there's no actual weights there then it's the adhesive strip of the old weights.
Yes, a little annoyed with the garage. Granted it was late Friday afternoon so everyone’s in a rush to be somewhere other than work but still. I like to really get on it and at 8/10ths I want to be confident. Looks to me like you can run summers all year around!! Why do I live in NY again?

have a great weekend OC !
Old 01-13-2018, 08:40 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by OC 991
I think you might have nailed it. It could be the old tape strip. The Blue is throwing me, though.

BeepBeep, no need to go to the dealership. Can you see the actual metal wheel weights? If you can, the blue marks are the old tape. Remove with denatured alcohol and elbow grease.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:58 AM
BeepBeep88
Instructor

I think you might have nailed it. It could be the old tape strip. The Blue is throwing me, though.

BeepBeep, no need to go to the dealership. Can you see the actual metal wheel weights? If you can, the blue marks are the old tape. Remove with denatured alcohol and elbow grease.
I took delivery of the car not two months ago and it was straight from the factory to my garage so that blue tape must be from Germany if what you’re both thinking is true. Going right now to check if I can spot any actual wheel weights... your elbow grease comment is really scaring me!!

Thanks again!
Old 01-13-2018, 09:16 AM
LexVan
Banned

BeepBeep, you'll need to get your head in there! LOL. You should see weights at the very back rim, and at the front rim. Sometimes in both places. That old tape is pretty hard to remove. A powerful citrus degreaser (Wurth) works wonders, better than denatured alcohol.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:09 PM
BeepBeep88
Instructor

BeepBeep, you'll need to get your head in there! LOL. You should see weights at the very back rim, and at the front rim. Sometimes in both places. That old tape is pretty hard to remove. A powerful citrus degreaser (Wurth) works wonders, better than denatured alcohol.
Haha I give up, I played peekaboo with all four rims and couldn’t find anything. The blue tape is now a fact of life for me and I will love it dearly. It definitely isn’t hampering the ride, tracking, etc..

A thank you pic from after my morning run
Old 01-13-2018, 12:13 PM
LexVan
Banned

Beep, if you can't see any weights, then I suspect they have already fallen off, and leaving you with the only marks your are seeing now; blue residue tape lines.

Have you spun them up to 70 mph yet? All good??

Strange.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:19 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

OP - it's the left over tape from the old weights, it happened to me. The local dealer didn't clean the old tape.
Upon complaining and getting them to change the weights from silver to black, because I have black wheels, they still managed to leave tape residue here and there.
Either have the dealer fix it or invest some elbow grease+windex cleaner and you should be good to go. It took me 2-3min per wheel to clean...
Old 01-13-2018, 01:11 PM
BeepBeep88
Instructor

Beep, if you can't see any weights, then I suspect they have already fallen off, and leaving you with the only marks your are seeing now; blue residue tape lines.

Strange.
Haha did I hit 70? You better believe it, had it in triple digits (on a closed road circuit of course). My car guy who I do all my leasing through had a similar response, “Very odd”. No vibrations whatsoever and tracked just as well as with the soft compound rubber.

70 is the new 40 with this thing Lex

thank you so much for your expertise!
Old 01-13-2018, 01:15 PM
BeepBeep88
Instructor

Strange.
Originally Posted by Bemo
OP - it's the left over tape from the old weights, it happened to me. The local dealer didn't clean the old tape.
Upon complaining and getting them to change the weights from silver to black, because I have black wheels, they still managed to leave tape residue here and there.
Either have the dealer fix it or invest some elbow grease+windex cleaner and you should be good to go. It took me 2-3min per wheel to clean...
Bemo I think you’re on the button since the ride / steering feel spot on. Lack of attention to detail annoys me as well but I guess no harm no foul.

Enjoy the weekend and thanks for the help!
Old 01-13-2018, 02:24 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by BeepBeep88
Bemo I think you’re on the button since the ride / steering feel spot on. Lack of attention to detail annoys me as well but I guess no harm no foul.

Enjoy the weekend and thanks for the help!
Yes it's the principle, that is lack of attention, not so much the harm or inconvenience of cleaning it yourself.
To put it eloquently, the careless bastards at the local stealer just don't know any better even though we are charged quite the premium ($340) for tire changes.
You have every right to be dissatisfied and equally concerned about other services or repairs, if something so simple gets neglected!

Happy weekend.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:40 PM
LexVan
Banned

I still don't understand how BeepBeep's wheels are balanced without any visible wheel-weights??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question after getting winter tires mounted & balanced