Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Mcchip Tuning base 991.2 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1042977-mcchip-tuning-base-991-2-a.html)

John Mclane 01-12-2018 06:09 PM

Mcchip Tuning base 991.2

I finally Got my base 991.2 tuned. I went with Mcchip DKR that have a representative here in the Chicago area. Of note, you can mail the ECU to them and they would do the same job.

I dropped the car yesterday and pick it up today as the time zone from here to Germany is seven hours, which explains the delay.

I just got the car back and just sum up, wow!

It's difficult to explain, how the car used to pull in second gear it does now in third gear. Unfortunately it's rainy and cold today and I could not Drive the car harder without wheel spinning.

On normal driving, the car upshifts sooner as the PDK responds to the new ECU you very nicely.
When accelerating hard, The few times I had a chance, the rear of the tire the car squats down on the front lifts up in a way it didn't before. I'm glad I already purchased a DSC box from TPC racing.

I know the boost pressure gauge on the car is not accurate , but the numbers rise so quickly and so Early, that's quite fun seeing it bouncing up-and-down as the gears change. I have the impression that the turbo lag is also improved as the pressure raises earlier and harder but this is also difficult to be precise.

Overall I'm very happy with the changes but on a 2 Wheel Drive car additional changes might be necessary such as decent tires (eg not P0s), work the suspension if you don't have sport PASM or better and consider race pads (RS29 probably) if you track.

Alex from Performance Eurowerks is a true car guy, very nice to work with and serious about racing. Everything went very smoothly. I have not tried the competition tuning but this one so far works really well. Really looking forward to take this car to the track with proper tires and upgraded suspension.

I'll upload some pictures of the process soon.

arter 01-12-2018 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by John Mclane (Post 14727342)
I finally Got my base 991.2 tuned. I went with Mcchip DKR that have a representative here in the Chicago area. Of note, you can mail the ECU to them and they would do the same job.

I dropped the car yesterday and pick it up today as the time zone from here to Germany is seven hours, which explains the delay.

I just got the car back and just sum up, wow!

It's difficult to explain, how the car used to pull in second gear it does now in third gear. Unfortunately it's rainy and cold today and I could not Drive the car harder without wheel spinning.

On normal driving, the car upshifts sooner as the PDK responds to the new ECU you very nicely.
When accelerating hard, The few times I had a chance, the rear of the tire the car squats down on the front lifts up in a way it didn't before. I'm glad I already purchased a DSC box from TPC racing.

I know the boost pressure gauge on the car is not accurate , but the numbers rise so quickly and so Early, that's quite fun seeing it bouncing up-and-down as the gears change. I have the impression that the turbo lag is also improved as the pressure raises earlier and harder but this is also difficult to be precise.

Overall I'm very happy with the changes but on a 2 Wheel Drive car additional changes might be necessary such as decent tires (eg not P0s), work the suspension if you don't have sport PASM or better and consider race pads (RS29 probably) if you track.

Alex from Performance Eurowerks is a true car guy, very nice to work with and serious about racing. Everything went very smoothly. I have not tried the competition tuning but this one so far works really well. Really looking forward to take this car to the track with proper tires and upgraded suspension.

I'll upload some pictures of the process soon.

What is the max boost you see on the gauge?

John Mclane 01-12-2018 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by arter
What is the max boost you see on the gauge?

I actually can't pay that much attention to it, got to 11 at least, but that's more of a novelty than a reliable gauge. I see it going up and down way more than before and the PDK seems quite happy about it. Before the tune I could watch, now I'm under a learning curve...

2001f4s 01-12-2018 10:30 PM

HI John,
I'm also a local Chicagoan who is considering chip tuning my 2017 991.2 Base. Can you tell me what type of stated increases you expect.

I also was not clear on your reference to the time difference in Germany. Does the ECU need to be sent to Germany? I'm guessing not, if you dropped it one day, and picked it up the next.

Love to hear more details. I have been considering the GIAC tune, but a little "gun shy" due to potential warranty issues.

Thanks
Scott

John Mclane 01-12-2018 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by 2001f4s
HI John,
I'm also a local Chicagoan who is considering chip tuning my 2017 991.2 Base. Can you tell me what type of stated increases you expect.

I also was not clear on your reference to the time difference in Germany. Does the ECU need to be sent to Germany? I'm guessing not, if you dropped it one day, and picked it up the next.

Love to hear more details. I have been considering the GIAC tune, but a little "gun shy" due to potential warranty issues.

Thanks
Scott

The files are sent to Germany then uploaded to the ECU, which is then reinstalled in the car. As far as I know there's no other option but bench flashing.
The car is a quite different under hard acceleration. Even on normal mode, there's the neck snap feeling. Gradual acceleration is far more gratifying.
Warranty issues may exist, but these cars can take a beating. I find the trade in quite acceptable.
Look for Alex, he will take care of you.

LavaGTS 01-13-2018 12:06 AM

John, do you have any exhaust work done to your vehicle?

John Mclane 01-13-2018 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Nino
John, do you have any exhaust work done to your vehicle?

None. All I have is PSE.

For all that I read, the only effective change in sound would come from sport cats or catless system. Both are hardware changes way too visible for the stealership.

There's an upgrade for the turbos in the market, in addition to exhaust. to be honest, I don't see how the car will put that down. It's way too much torque for a RWD car. On a C4 I see some room for plenum, catless, bigger turbos etc.

I know how the S drives, so I'm confident that it was money well spent...

LavaGTS 01-13-2018 12:32 AM

I see. I ask because in the GIAC tunes they don't tell you that their dyno's all have cars with downpipes on them. This tuner didn't require exhaust work which I like.

What octane are you required to run with this tune? If 93, can you run 91 and still see gains?

John Mclane 01-13-2018 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Nino
I see. I ask because in the GIAC tunes they don't tell you that their dyno's all have cars with downpipes on them. This tuner didn't require exhaust work which I like.

What octane are you required to run with this tune? If 93, can you run 91 and still see gains?

We have 93 here so I didn't ask about 91. I believe shouldn't be an issue. The gains are not discrete, you will need good tires.

I didn't know that tidbit about giac...

djrizon 01-13-2018 07:46 AM

Did you do any dyno tests or plan to?

Any details on hp/torque gains

John Mclane 01-13-2018 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by djrizon
Did you do any dyno tests or plan to?

Any details on hp/torque gains

I wanted to, but they are not that common around here. If I find a curious part willing to do it for free, I'm game.

I do believe the gains announced are real, as I said before, I know how the S drives and this tune is quite beyond that.

Once the weather improves (at least dries) I'll have some runs and compare to the pre tune numbers. On winter tires the fun is quite tamed...

djrizon 01-13-2018 02:14 PM

Right on! I'm eagerly awaiting my new 991.2 base 17' now having shipped from Florida! I am strongly considering a tune, however maybe after sometime. I really want to get to know and learn the car, dynamics, since it would be my first 911.

I am a bit concerned about warranty, what's your take? Is this your first 911?

What was the cost? Plan to upgrade anything else, ie add headers etc along with the tune?

Also, how do you like the DSC box, does the 991.1 box work for 991.2? I didn't see anything on the site

John Mclane 01-13-2018 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by djrizon
Right on! I'm eagerly awaiting my new 991.2 base 17' now having shipped from Florida! I am strongly considering a tune, however maybe after sometime. I really want to get to know and learn the car, dynamics, since it would be my first 911.

What was the cost? Plan to upgrade anything else, ie add headers etc along with the tune?

Also, how do you like the DSC box, does the 991.1 box work for 991.2? I didn't see anything on the site

This is my 4th 911, I tuned all of them but this is the 1st w/ turbos. Warranty maybe an issue, how comfortable one is varies.

It cost about 2k. I don't intend to do any additional hardware changes bc I don't think the RWD would be able to handle it properly. As of now with winter tires I cannot tell how much I can put down. Soon I'll have my Cup2 back on, then things will be different. The latter is probably the best single thing you can change and it won't void warranty. Another upgrade is yourself, going for a high end driver's education school.

The DSC module is from TPC racing.

Porsche_nuts 01-13-2018 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by djrizon (Post 14728752)

there are different boxes for the .1 and the .2