Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCCBs on a Carrera T - Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 08:04 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 618 Likes on 249 Posts

I had the first generation PCCB's on my 2005 launch car 997.1S . One year later and 9K miles they were perfect despite all the complaints I heard from others. The rest of my cars did not have them and I never suffered by lacking them either . When I modded my 07 turbo I did go into the aftermarket Brembo . They are great but would not modify any of the modern 911's (just my opinion). Many have listed the benefits .The only negative I see is the cost . Add enough things to a T and one can make it nearly a GTS and an over optioned car faces the downside cost risk when selling or trading. A 125K T will compete one day in the used markets with 115K T cars as well as 105 K base cars to the average shopper. Porsche staggered pricing tends to bring the high spec car right into the next trim level and the over spec can even jump two trim levels.

So to answer your question .. would i get them .. if ordering and waiting hell yeah I would !! Would i buy a stripped lot car without them ? yep I would . Convenience has a price too. good luck in the decision.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:42 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,177 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
I had the first generation PCCB's on my 2005 launch car 997.1S . One year later and 9K miles they were perfect despite all the complaints I heard from others. The rest of my cars did not have them and I never suffered by lacking them either . When I modded my 07 turbo I did go into the aftermarket Brembo . They are great but would not modify any of the modern 911's (just my opinion). Many have listed the benefits .The only negative I see is the cost . Add enough things to a T and one can make it nearly a GTS and an over optioned car faces the downside cost risk when selling or trading. A 125K T will compete one day in the used markets with 115K T cars as well as 105 K base cars to the average shopper. Porsche staggered pricing tends to bring the high spec car right into the next trim level and the over spec can even jump two trim levels.

So to answer your question .. would i get them .. if ordering and waiting hell yeah I would !! Would i buy a stripped lot car without them ? yep I would . Convenience has a price too. good luck in the decision.
Thank you!

I am going into the decision knowing that if I add PCCBs to my order, I'll get little of the £6k back at trade in time.

Funnily enough, I started by looking at a GTS originally, but then I stumbled on a T build slot.

The more I see about the T the more I love it! Feels like the perfect current 911 for me! 370hp in a 1,500kg car is just plenty for me!

And hopefully the T will be rarer than a GTS too...

I will post my final decision on here in the next day or two.

Cheers,

Simon
Old 01-13-2018, 09:04 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 618 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Wing Commander
Thank you!

I am going into the decision knowing that if I add PCCBs to my order, I'll get little of the £6k back at trade in time.

Funnily enough, I started by looking at a GTS originally, but then I stumbled on a T build slot.

The more I see about the T the more I love it! Feels like the perfect current 911 for me! 370hp in a 1,500kg car is just plenty for me!

And hopefully the T will be rarer than a GTS too...

I will post my final decision on here in the next day or two.

Cheers,

Simon
Get them !! I had overlooked your location. In the UK the market (new and used) is completely different than the States . The wait is longer , there are no lot cars , and used cars hold value differently (actually better) . Your T will be more rare in a location where it's a bit harder for the shopper to get the instant gratification of an immediate car . In terms of the car itself .. there is no dispute . They simply are better !! Whatever you decide I wish you the best.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:21 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Thanks, flickroll. Sounds like you were really unlucky getting that damage in your first 40 miles. I am comforted by the fact that the damage inflicted is virtually invisible until you get the wheels off. Over the last few days I have accumulated a lot of feedback about PCCBs, mostly thanks to this forum. Most is very positive about PCCBs, from those who have them.

Out of interest, would you spec them on your next Porsche? And is the area/terrain in which you drive especially prone to picking up these small stones?

Cheers,

Simon

Hi Simon. I would spec them only if my new wheels fix the problem, otherwise no. I have never experienced anything like this on any car I have owned in my life which has been quite a number. I do like the performance they offer and the fact they are a lot ‘cleaner’ than steel brakes. But I also like my cars to remain in really good shape after purchase and wheels that are constantly getting scraped up would be a non starter for me. So we’ll see, and once I get the new wheels on the car, which should be no later than 2 weeks from now, I’ll report back how things are going. To answer your question about the roads in my area, I’d say they are no more prone to small stones than other roads in general.

if you don’t mind your wheel barrels getting dinged, go for them. They really do perform great. Having said that, if I was speccing a yellow 911, I would most likely get them, stone problems be damned. The yellow calipers on your yellow 911 will look super!

Old 01-13-2018, 10:35 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by yrralis1
Get them !! I had overlooked your location. In the UK the market (new and used) is completely different than the States . The wait is longer , there are no lot cars , and used cars hold value differently (actually better) . Your T will be more rare in a location where it's a bit harder for the shopper to get the instant gratification of an immediate car . In terms of the car itself .. there is no dispute . They simply are better !! Whatever you decide I wish you the best.

Thanks again!

Yes, I'm hoping that a Racing Yellow Carrera T with the striking Carrera T interior pack (Racing Yellow) and PCCBs will be pretty rare over here!

Although I also appreciate that by being my sole car & daily driver, the mileage will hit the trade in value pretty hard, but you only live once!

Am now 99.5% going for the PCCBs!

Cheers,

Simon
Old 01-13-2018, 10:47 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

"If you don’t mind your wheel barrels getting dinged, go for them. They really do perform great. Having said that, if I was speccing a yellow 911, I would most likely get them, stone problems be damned. The yellow calipers on your yellow 911 will look super!"

Thanks, flickroll.

This is my thinking:

* PCCBs will look great on my Racing Yellow Carrera T
* PCCBs are the best brakes that Porsche do
* As I'm unlikely to track the car, the brakes should last a very long time
* There are driving/handling benefits too
* I can afford them
* I'm prepared for a bit of damage to calipers/wheels if/when stones get trapped
* I understand that most of this damage (if any) will not be plainly visible until the wheels are taken off

Cheers,

Simon
Old 01-13-2018, 12:04 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

sounds like you are sold! I have only driven my GT4 with them for about 500 miles so far, but I love them and they look great too!
Old 01-13-2018, 12:40 PM
Super_K
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simon, I'm just coming from a 991.1 C4S to a 991.2 TTS which I've only had for a month or so but to me the PCCBs feel significantly better than the steels in the 4S. I daily drive and I've found the PCCBs to be more enjoyable to drive around town on and much quicker to stop with less force on the pedal than the steels without feeling touchy. Also, it doesn't feel like their performance changes when they're wet (which it is often where I'm at). Between the performance, the lack of dust and the look I'm glad my .2 has PCCBs.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:41 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by MJG911
sounds like you are sold! I have only driven my GT4 with them for about 500 miles so far, but I love them and they look great too!

Glad to hear that you're enjoying the GT4. Awesome car! I fell in love with a yellow one at the local dealership!

You're right. PCCBs "sold" to the man in the Racing Yellow Carrera T!
Old 01-13-2018, 12:45 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by Super_K
Simon, I'm just coming from a 991.1 C4S to a 991.2 TTS which I've only had for a month or so but to me the PCCBs feel significantly better than the steels in the 4S. I daily drive and I've found the PCCBs to be more enjoyable to drive around town on and much quicker to stop with less force on the pedal than the steels without feeling touchy. Also, it doesn't feel like their performance changes when they're wet (which it is often where I'm at). Between the performance, the lack of dust and the look I'm glad my .2 has PCCBs.

Hi Super K.

That is another vote for the PCCBs and some really useful feedback for me. Much appreciated!

Enjoy the Turbo S 991.2 and don't forget to update your avatar photo!

Cheers,

Simon
Old 01-13-2018, 12:52 PM
Super_K
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Done. I was hoping for a better photo just haven't gotten around to it yet.. I think you made a good call Simon!
Old 01-13-2018, 02:18 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

The Turbo S looks great! Agate Grey?

Just trying to figure out how to add a 'signature' with my brief Porsche history...
Old 01-13-2018, 03:36 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
I have decided that if I order a T I will for sure get it with PCCBs (and LWBs). I think that car needs/deserves them. If I order a Base or an S then no.

Full disclosure: My opinion means nothing.
Please spec your Carrera T like this! It does deserve those options. Then take meticulous care of it. Then call me in 2 years when you're ready to move to the next hot Porsche! Agate grey or carmine red would be appreciated.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:27 PM
Puf n Stuf
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
...Agate grey or carmine red would be appreciated.
Now that would be a unicorn.

White, m white, black, m black, guards, yellow, silver, lava & miami. That's your picking list

Old 01-15-2018, 04:58 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

"If you don’t mind your wheel barrels getting dinged, go for them. They really do perform great. Having said that, if I was speccing a yellow 911, I would most likely get them, stone problems be damned. The yellow calipers on your yellow 911 will look super!"

Thanks, flickroll.

This is my thinking:

* PCCBs will look great on my Racing Yellow Carrera T
* PCCBs are the best brakes that Porsche do
* As I'm unlikely to track the car, the brakes should last a very long time
* There are driving/handling benefits too
* I can afford them
* I'm prepared for a bit of damage to calipers/wheels if/when stones get trapped
* I understand that most of this damage (if any) will not be plainly visible until the wheels are taken off

Cheers,

Simon
Simon, the wheel barrels will be visible with the wheels on the car, so over time I imagine you'd see the scrapes from small stones on the wheels. You most likely will not notice dings on the calipers however. Just wanted to set the record straight with respect to my experience with PCCB's. Relative to performance and little brake dust I love em!

Cheers

Quick Reply: PCCBs on a Carrera T - Yes or No?