991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCCBs on a Carrera T - Yes or No?

Old 01-12-2018, 08:08 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,175 Likes on 431 Posts
Question PCCBs on a Carrera T - Yes or No?

Hi.

I have ordered a new Carrera T. CP08 date is 20th March. Hopefully arriving at UK dealership two weeks later. Last thing I'm pondering is whether to add PCCBs.

Car is Racing Yellow, manual transmission, Chrono pack, Carrera T interior in Racing Yellow...

It will be a daily driver & my sole car.

Annual mileage likely to be 12k to 18k miles a year. Unlikely to be tracked.

Keen to hear views for & against, especially from those with PCCBs on 991.2s.

Cheers,

Simon
Old 01-12-2018, 08:35 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,135 Likes on 977 Posts

Your stopping power is limited by your tires, not your brakes unless you are doing repeated hard braking for a period of time like on a track or driving spirited in the Alps. Even then, the steel brakes are very good. The 991.2 Base brakes are the same as the 991.1 S. You don't need PCCBs for a daily driver. You wont notice the unsprung weight reduction of the PCCBs on the street. The standard steel brakes are fantastic.

If money is no object, you don't like the brake dust or your car is yellow and the caliper color is a nice accent, then get the PCCBs. I'd skip it. One man's opinion.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:46 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by subshooter
If money is no object, you don't like the brake dust or your car is yellow and the caliper color is a nice accent, then get the PCCBs. I'd skip it. One man's opinion.
Thanks, subshooter. Not quite 'money no object' but I can afford to spec the PCCBs comfortably. I love the look of them, think they'd go great with a Racing Yellow T and the lack of brake dust is a nice to have. And I understand that they should last a very long time if the car is rarely/never tracked & they're taken care of when changing tyres etc.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:25 AM
Puf n Stuf
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very little, if any, difference in street driving.

For noticeably better braking (and cornering too), fit a winter wheel & tyre set between 1 Nov and 31 March.
Costs less than PCCB and for £250 per year, your OPC will provide a hoteling arrangement - 2 wheel changes and storage of whichever set isn't been used.

Not sure where in UK you are but even here in the home counties it's cold enough to benefit from a set of winters.

Sorry for going off on a tangent.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:43 AM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

I think the biggest question, since all P-car brakes are superlative, is:
1) will the PCCB be streetable, quiet, and offer comfortable feel
2) will they be durable and not chip during regular use
3) how long will they last?

My attraction to PCCB, is that for a small initial cost, they can give you a dust-free, lifetime set of brakes, that also is quite a bit lighter and can offer better initial impulse braking. Also, for some reason, the standard brakes look a little puny inside the rims. It's a shallow comment, but it does annoy me after seeing them side by side!

My fear of PCCB, is that they will be like the M3 system, which is uneven in modulation, noisy as hell, chip frequently at a cost of $15,000, and so on.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:00 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by Puf n Stuf
Very little, if any, difference in street driving.

For noticeably better braking (and cornering too), fit a winter wheel & tyre set between 1 Nov and 31 March.
Costs less than PCCB and for £250 per year, your OPC will provide a hoteling arrangement - 2 wheel changes and storage of whichever set isn't been used.

Not sure where in UK you are but even here in the home counties it's cold enough to benefit from a set of winters.

Sorry for going off on a tangent.
Thanks. Am in Swindon in Wiltshire. We tend to see little snow, but I do realise that winter tyres are sensible for the winter months, even if there is no snow/ice on the roads. Cheers, Simon
Old 01-12-2018, 10:06 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by docjohnM
I think the biggest question, since all P-car brakes are superlative, is:
1) will the PCCB be streetable, quiet, and offer comfortable feel
2) will they be durable and not chip during regular use
3) how long will they last?

My attraction to PCCB, is that for a small initial cost, they can give you a dust-free, lifetime set of brakes, that also is quite a bit lighter and can offer better initial impulse braking. Also, for some reason, the standard brakes look a little puny inside the rims. It's a shallow comment, but it does annoy me after seeing them side by side!

My fear of PCCB, is that they will be like the M3 system, which is uneven in modulation, noisy as hell, chip frequently at a cost of $15,000, and so on.
Thank you. I agree with all of this:

"My attraction to PCCB, is that for a small initial cost, they can give you a dust-free, lifetime set of brakes, that also is quite a bit lighter and can offer better initial impulse braking. Also, for some reason, the standard brakes look a little puny inside the rims. It's a shallow comment, but it does annoy me after seeing them side by side!"

I'm hoping to hear ideally from some 991.2 owners who may have PCCBs fitted. Cheers, Simon
Old 01-12-2018, 10:15 AM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Wing Commander
Thanks, subshooter. Not quite 'money no object' but I can afford to spec the PCCBs comfortably. I love the look of them, think they'd go great with a Racing Yellow T and the lack of brake dust is a nice to have. And I understand that they should last a very long time if the car is rarely/never tracked & they're taken care of when changing tyres etc.
This is one of those things that goes to the way you will think about your purchase afterwards. It does not sound like you NEED them, but it sounds like you WANT them. As the cost is not a defining factor, if you do not get them, you will always think in the back of your mind later "maybe I should have gotten the PCCB brakes after all... Go for it!
Old 01-12-2018, 10:17 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by shammerman
This is one of those things that goes to the way you will think about your purchase afterwards. It does not sound like you NEED them, but it sounds like you WANT them. As the cost is not a defining factor, if you do not get them, you will always think in the back of your mind later "maybe I should have gotten the PCCB brakes after all... Go for it!

You are a mind reader! Thank you.

My only concern is to hear from drivers in a 991 (ideally 991.2) as to any issues they've had with PCCBs.

Cheers, Simon
Old 01-12-2018, 10:33 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

I’ll never buy another modern Porsche without PCCBs. It’s a wonderful option, as mentioned above. If I ever buy a Carrera T, it will have the PCCB option. I like the fact that they are lighter than steel brakes, which is in line with the Carrera T design philosophy. I had no issues with PCCBs on my 997, and no issues on my 991.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:37 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Wing Commander
You are a mind reader! Thank you.

My only concern is to hear from drivers in a 991 (ideally 991.2) as to any issues they've had with PCCBs.

Cheers, Simon
I'd never had PCCB brakes until my last car, a 991.2 TTS, on which they came standard. I'd have honestly never known the difference otherwise. I had been perfectly happy with Porsche steels both on and off track.
Brake dustless and looks aside, I simply fell in love with the pedal feel of PCCB over steel brakes.
PCCB was the first box I checked on my new 991.2 build without any second thoughts.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:10 AM
GT325
Pro

Received 185 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Your stopping power is limited by your tires, not your brakes unless you are doing repeated hard braking for a period of time like on a track or driving spirited in the Alps. Even then, the steel brakes are very good. The 991.2 Base brakes are the same as the 991.1 S. You don't need PCCBs for a daily driver. You wont notice the unsprung weight reduction of the PCCBs on the street. The standard steel brakes are fantastic.

This gets thrown around a lot it seems. The 991.1 S brakes are NOT the same as the 991.2 base brakes.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:12 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
I'd never had PCCB brakes until my last car, a 991.2 TTS, on which they came standard. I'd have honestly never known the difference otherwise. I had been perfectly happy with Porsche steels both on and off track.
Brake dustless and looks aside, I simply fell in love with the pedal feel of PCCB over steel brakes.
PCCB was the first box I checked on my new 991.2 build without any second thoughts.

Great to hear! Thank you, 1Gunner. And presumably no adverse issues with the PCCBs on your Turbo S, like stones getting caught etc?

Cheers,

Simon
Old 01-12-2018, 11:14 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Thank you, Dennis. That is good to hear! Cheers,Simon
Old 01-12-2018, 11:22 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I’ll never buy another modern Porsche without PCCBs. It’s a wonderful option, as mentioned above. If I ever buy a Carrera T, it will have the PCCB option. I like the fact that they are lighter than steel brakes, which is in line with the Carrera T design philosophy. I had no issues with PCCBs on my 997, and no issues on my 991.
I've had two 991.1S's - one with steels and one with PCCBs. I really enjoyed the PCCBs, so much so that I decided to order them on my incoming 2018 911 GTS. It was a difficult decision based on cost but I really liked the lack of brake dust and the feel over the steels. Mine never squeaked (although my steels did occasionally).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PCCBs on a Carrera T - Yes or No?