Sponsored by:

PCCBs on a Carrera T - Yes or No?

Old 01-12-2018, 06:55 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Wing Commander
You are a mind reader! Thank you.

My only concern is to hear from drivers in a 991 (ideally 991.2) as to any issues they've had with PCCBs.

Cheers, Simon
i have them on my Targa (991.1...) and have had no issues what so ever. Love the lack of dust and the incredible stopping power.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:20 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,175 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
If you can deal with this kind of damage, then go for the PCCB's. If not, then at least consider it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1037...t-so-good.html

Thanks, Gordon. That was a very good thread to read.

Yes, I could live with that, especially having been forewarned by the good folks on here!

Cheers,

Simon
Old 01-12-2018, 07:21 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by shammerman

i have them on my Targa (991.1...) and have had no issues what so ever. Love the lack of dust and the incredible stopping power.

Thanks, I am edging nearer & nearer to being 100% on ticking the box!
Old 01-12-2018, 08:03 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

39,000 miles with them on my 991.1 targa 4S. Love them,... a 911 'must have' for me.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:08 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by fjpdds
39,000 miles with them on my 991.1 targa 4S. Love them,... a 911 'must have' for me.

That's great! Any issues or negatives at all, just to get a balanced view, before I commit £6k for the PCCBs? Damage from trapped stones etc?

Cheers,

Simon
Old 01-12-2018, 08:20 PM
Ticket Target
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 92 Posts

I have them on my 2018 GTS, and I will differ with people here. They do make a difference on the street. When you travel over a bump or a rough spot, the recovery is much quicker and the car gets less unsettled. I assume due to do lower unsprung weight.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:23 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ticket Target
I have them on my 2018 GTS, and I will differ with people here. They do make a difference on the street. When you travel over a bump or a rough spot, the recovery is much quicker and the car gets less unsettled. I assume due to do lower unsprung weight.

Great - thank you! Another vote for PCCBs!

Cheers,

Simon
Old 01-12-2018, 08:56 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 175 Posts

I have them and agree with the get them camp. Feel great, look great, no noise, and no dust.
Eric
Old 01-12-2018, 09:37 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
If you can deal with this kind of damage, then go for the PCCB's. If not, then at least consider it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1037...t-so-good.html
I initiated that post and in <250 miles both the left and right side caliper and wheel have sustained damage due to small stones getting trapped between the caliper and wheel. This is on a 991.2 which has a 410mm rotor diameter, much larger than 991.1’s. There is less than 6mm clearance between the wheel and caliper. I have ordered a set of Forgeline wheels which will more than double that clearance and I hope will solve the problem. I really like the PCCB performance and lack of brake dust. The clearance issue and resulting caliper/wheel damage is a bummer however. I imagine in 10,000 miles the wheels in particular will be a scaped up mess. Because of the minimal clearance it is very difficult to see the caliper damage.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:48 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Wing Commander

Thanks, TorqueChap!

Someone has pointed out that the PCCB calipers are not Racing Yellow, but Sulphur Yellow (?) but it's close enough for me!

Cheers,

Simon
PCCB’s are Speed Yellow.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:10 AM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can, drive both at a Porsche experience, or see if anyone on here lives near you. I drove cars with steel or PCCB, and when I ordered my car, I felt good about the PCCBs, and am going in eyes wide open. It's definitely a personal choice though- those steel ones do the job, but I fully appreciate the initial bite of the carbons. But I don't usually drive for comfort, and I REALLY don't like brake fade...

incidentally, a couple trips to PEC cured me of my desire to get a manual- I love rowing my own, but when you are REALLY hustling through the turns, it left me able to just concentrate on apexes and weight transfer more.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:17 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by ENCT
I have them and agree with the get them camp. Feel great, look great, no noise, and no dust.
Eric

Great - thank you, Eric!

Cheers,

Simon
Old 01-13-2018, 02:26 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by flickroll
I initiated that post and in <250 miles both the left and right side caliper and wheel have sustained damage due to small stones getting trapped between the caliper and wheel. This is on a 991.2 which has a 410mm rotor diameter, much larger than 991.1’s. There is less than 6mm clearance between the wheel and caliper. I have ordered a set of Forgeline wheels which will more than double that clearance and I hope will solve the problem. I really like the PCCB performance and lack of brake dust. The clearance issue and resulting caliper/wheel damage is a bummer however. I imagine in 10,000 miles the wheels in particular will be a scaped up mess. Because of the minimal clearance it is very difficult to see the caliper damage.
Thanks, flickroll. Sounds like you were really unlucky getting that damage in your first 40 miles. I am comforted by the fact that the damage inflicted is virtually invisible until you get the wheels off. Over the last few days I have accumulated a lot of feedback about PCCBs, mostly thanks to this forum. Most is very positive about PCCBs, from those who have them.

Out of interest, would you spec them on your next Porsche? And is the area/terrain in which you drive especially prone to picking up these small stones?

Cheers,

Simon
Old 01-13-2018, 02:29 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by flickroll
PCCB’s are Speed Yellow.
Thanks again! You learn something new every day!

I look forward to hearing/seeing how you get on with the new wheels that you've ordered.

Cheers,

Simon
Old 01-13-2018, 02:38 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by 8enny8lack
If you can, drive both at a Porsche experience, or see if anyone on here lives near you. I drove cars with steel or PCCB, and when I ordered my car, I felt good about the PCCBs, and am going in eyes wide open. It's definitely a personal choice though- those steel ones do the job, but I fully appreciate the initial bite of the carbons. But I don't usually drive for comfort, and I REALLY don't like brake fade...

incidentally, a couple trips to PEC cured me of my desire to get a manual- I love rowing my own, but when you are REALLY hustling through the turns, it left me able to just concentrate on apexes and weight transfer more.
Thanks, 8enny8lack.

My trip to the PEC in Silverstone will definitely be after my spec is locked down. To be honest, over the last few days I've accumulated tons of invaluable feedback, both from the US (Rennlist) and the UK (Porsche Club Great Britain and Macan Forum). I'm now 99% going to tick that box, with a balanced view of the pros & cons from Porsche enthusiasts.

Yep, I have heard that PDK results in slightly quicker driving and is recommended for track work/racing. I've had PDK in my Macan, 991.1 and Panamera 4. I always drove a manual before I discovered Porsches, and I have driven a 991.2 with manual transmission, although they are quite rare over here.

I definitely have my eyes open to the fact that there are arguments both for & against both the manual box and the PCCBs.

Cheers,

Simon

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PCCBs on a Carrera T - Yes or No?