Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   PCCBs on a Carrera T - Yes or No? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1042902-pccbs-on-a-carrera-t-yes-or-no.html)

F1CrazyDriver 01-12-2018 01:26 PM

Do it.
Can't recommend enough.
If you don't, you will regret it.
IF you do, you can always sell and recoup $ by selling rotors and convert to irons.

Wing Commander 01-12-2018 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR (Post 14726646)
My $0.02 - I didn't check the box for PCCBs on my T order - for some of the reasons already stated (cost to replace, noise, etc). We all have to keep in mind that the steel brakes on the T are by most standards great! They are certainly better than what was on my base 993, and that car went 22 years with a single rotor change on 100% street use (albeit spirited) -- I never once ever had cause to doubt the brakes on my 993 -- and it's actually about the same mass as the T.

For a street car, PCCBs are an expensive cosmetic option. I don't fault anyone for choosing them - as many of the "options" on our cars are cosmetic. It's part of how we individualize them to ourselves.

I also suspect we'll see new tech in the 992. Has anyone read about the PSCBs on the Cayenne:

https://blog.caranddriver.com/in-dep...coated-brakes/

I'm a mechanical engineer by training...these are highly likely to be compatible with the base brakes on the T (and the PCCBs) with a rotor & pad swap in the future.

sean

Thanks, Sean. You are quite right, the main attraction to me is the look of the PCCBs, both colour and size. Call me shallow! ;) And as you say, Porsche owners collectively spend millions on cosmetic options! I spent about £2,800 on Carmine Red paint on my Panamera!! At least the Racing Yellow paint on the Carrera T is "free"! :)

Cheers,

Simon

Wing Commander 01-12-2018 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by TorqueChap (Post 14726729)

This ^ is exactly why I got PCCBs. Zero dust. Zero squeak. Zero future brakes.

Besides, they’ll match your exterior color perfectly ;)

Thanks, TorqueChap! :)

Someone has pointed out that the PCCB calipers are not Racing Yellow, but Sulphur Yellow (?) but it's close enough for me! ;)

Cheers,

Simon

Wing Commander 01-12-2018 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver (Post 14726742)
Do it.
Can't recommend enough.
If you don't, you will regret it.
IF you do, you can always sell and recoup $ by selling rotors and convert to irons.

Thanks, F1. I am getting closer to ticking that box! Said I'd let my Porsche Centre know my Monday. :)

Cheers,

Simon

Taffy66 01-12-2018 02:47 PM

I have a new RY GT3.2 and PCCBs was the first box i ticked and i would do the same with the T..The yellow calipers look much better with the RY paintwork although this is purely personal..The problem with the standard T's steel brakes is they are the same as the standard 370 hp version and not the upgraded S brakes..When Pete Stout drove the T he was surprised how the standard steels underperformed and if he was getting a T he would definitely choose PCCBs and i agree with him.The cost to upgrade offer the best value of all the 991s as you are upgrading from the smallest steel brakes upto the top spec 410/390 mm PCCBs which incidentally are the same as the 918.
In the future T's with PCCBs will be very desirable and will recoup most if not all of the £6k extra they cost new..

Wing Commander 01-12-2018 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Taffy66 (Post 14726909)
I have a new RY GT3.2 and PCCBs was the first box i ticked and i would do the same with the T..The yellow calipers look much better with the RY paintwork although this is purely personal..The problem with the standard T's steel brakes is they are the same as the standard 370 hp version and not the upgraded S brakes..When Pete Stout drove the T he was surprised how the standard steels underperformed and if he was getting a T he would definitely choose PCCBs and i agree with him.The cost to upgrade offer the best value of all the 991s as you are upgrading from the smallest steel brakes upto the top spec 410/390 mm PCCBs which incidentally are the same as the 918.
In the future T's with PCCBs will be very desirable and will recoup most if not all of the £6k extra they cost new..

Wow! Thanks, Taffy. That's the most positive feedback so far! :) A good point you make about upgrading from the smallest 911 brakes to the best.

To be honest, I'm not expecting much of the £6k to be reflected in any future trade in value.

Any issues whatsoever for you with the PCCBs on your 991.2 GT3 or on any previous Porsche?

Cheers,

Simon

P.S. Have you shared pics of your GT3 on here?

ibmiked 01-12-2018 03:57 PM

FWIW, I would NEVER have powder coated my winter wheels white if it wasn't for the thousands of miles of brake dust free driving I've already done in my car. Notwithstanding all of the mechanical and stopping advantages, you simply cannot overstate the sheer joy of always seeing your wheels clean. For me dirty wheels aways facilitated a car wash even before the rest of the car merited one. Now the car always feels cleaner than it actually is because the wheels are spotless. I enjoy the car more and wash it less. Win-Win in my opinion! Does this look like a car that's past due for a bath?

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...70c668e278.jpg

Wing Commander 01-12-2018 04:06 PM

Hi.

Thanks. Your car looks stunning! Lava Orange?

Although my wheels will be grey, I still appreciate the benefit of no/negligible brake dust. :)

Cheers,

Simon

ibmiked 01-12-2018 06:09 PM

Thanks Simon, yep Lava Orange. My summer wheel/tire combo is silver but it still makes a huge difference. Congrats on the ‘T. ’ If I was in the market I’d be getting one myself. Stick with the lightweight ethos of the car and get PCCB. After all, the weight savings is what the car is about, much like the first gen Spyder.

F1CrazyDriver 01-12-2018 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Wing Commander (Post 14726824)

Thanks, F1. I am getting closer to ticking that box! Said I'd let my Porsche Centre know my Monday. :)

Cheers,

Simon

Not sure if anyone else has said this or if you're aware of. A car with PCCB damping/ rebound is much better due to unweighted load on the suspension. The shock and spring have to work much less.
I can write a book on this but it's substantial difference to me personally when i drive a gt3 w/ them or jump another one with them not on.
When driving on the mtn roads or when on track, i can feel it. Steering response as well... like i said i can write a book. Just do it :)

stout 01-12-2018 06:31 PM

I think it's good you started this thread, as it will help T customers as well as Carrera customers.

You're looking for opinions on PCCB or no, so here are mine:

1. If I could only keep ONE extra cost option on my 2018 Carrera, PCCB would be the one.
Those who say it doesn't make any difference on the street are baked. I feel the PCCBs every time I drive the car, mainly in the immediacy of the response. And I find it delicious. Some say that immediacy makes it tough to heel-toe, as the PCCB are sensitive, but I think that's a matter of learning the muscle memory. YMMV. Again, we are talking opinions here, and there's a reason they're optional. Next, their fade resistance when hammered hard on back roads is unquestionable, and I have now gotten the standard brakes hotter than I'd like on three continents. Both the smell and the pedal were less than reassuring, though I did not experience actual fade. Perhaps I warded it off by changing my driving style, but it's never fun to drive for the brakes. I also like clean wheels, and PCCB helps tremendously here. And finally, yes, I like the little thrill that goes through me when I notice those giant discs and calipers behind the wheel spokes—filling out the wheels. Maybe that's shallow, but hardware is always sexy. To me, much sexier than aero kits and other add-ons.

2. What about the noise on the street??
What noise? Mine have been very quiet for the last 2800 miles, only exhibiting some squeal once or twice and not that bad. My GT4 on iron rotors was worse. Maybe that will change with time. We'll see.

3. What about the costs, both up front and in terms of risk?
I viewed the up front cost in terms of what an aftermarket upgrade would cost me, such as those from Brembo on Tire Rack, etc. And suddenly PCCB looked like very good value—and is engineered by Weissach and comes within the new car warranty. Of course, there are risks. I mitigate the chipped rotor thing by buying the installation pegs from my dealer, and will probably note track the car—so in terms of replacement costs, PCCBs come out ahead of iron rotors as they should last a long, long time. Now, what about if I do track the car, or get a rock between the caliper or pad and the rotor? Yeah, that's a risk and a scary one, given the replacement costs. There are options, however, from a switch to iron rotors that will work with the PCCB caliper to a refurbished PCCB rotor to a different CCB rotor from Racing Brake.

The bottom line:
I weighed everything, and took the plunge. 2800 miles and a few months later, if I could only keep one extra-cost option out of all those I selected, it would be PCCB. The only "option" like better than PCCB is the manual gearbox, which was actually "free." YMMV...

P.S. Oh, and your T is going to be yellow? So the calipers will look good with it? What are you waiting for again? ;)

Wing Commander 01-12-2018 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by ibmiked (Post 14727341)
Thanks Simon, yep Lava Orange. My summer wheel/tire combo is silver but it still makes a huge difference. Congrats on the ‘T. ’ If I was in the market I’d be getting one myself. Stick with the lightweight ethos of the car and get PCCB. After all, the weight savings is what the car is about, much like the first gen Spyder.

Cheers, ibmiked! I'm very nearly there and the feedback on here has been overwhelmingly in the "do it" camp! :)

Wing Commander 01-12-2018 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver (Post 14727365)
Not sure if anyone else has said this or if you're aware of. A car with PCCB damping/ rebound is much better due to less weight.
I can write a book on this but it's substantial difference to me personally when i drive a gt3 w/ them or jump another one with them not on.
When driving on the mtn roads or when on track, i can feel it. Steering response as well... like i said i can write a book. Just do it :)

Thanks, F1. Really appreciate your input. :thumbup:

Wing Commander 01-12-2018 06:42 PM

Thanks, stout. A great post that summarises a lot of what I've gathered over the last couple of days!

I'm unlikely to track the car, but am now 95% of the way there to ticking that PCCB box on Monday! :thumbup:

Gordon Shumway 01-12-2018 06:49 PM

If you can deal with this kind of damage, then go for the PCCB's. If not, then at least consider it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1037...t-so-good.html