Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Siri in 991.2 w/o Voice Control (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1042823-siri-in-991-2-w-o-voice-control.html)

tstafford 01-11-2018 05:11 PM

Siri in 991.2 w/o Voice Control

All - I just finalized a deal on a new 991.2S. Haven't seen the car or had a chance to play with it.

Question: How does CarPlay and Siri work with the PCM? In my M2 I just yell "Hey Siri" and she talks to me thru the stereo. Is this the same in the 991.2? Or does the button on the stalk help?

Thanks in advance.

subshooter 01-11-2018 05:54 PM

On mine, I have to push the button and hold a bit (like a sec) and then siri kicks on. I needed voice control optioned and the iphone needs to be plugged into the USB in the center console. Glove box console does not support apple car play. It will not work via blue tooth.

If you didn't get voice control optioned, I don't think this will work.

Franky66 01-11-2018 06:07 PM

If your IPhone is plugged into center console, then u push button on the stalk to activate Siri. It works pretty good. I dont have voice control.

Franky66 01-11-2018 06:10 PM

It works well. Just plug iphone into center console to activate apple car play and then hit button on stalk and Siri comes on.

freeman727 01-11-2018 11:42 PM

You actually can get Siri to work without the voice control option. How do I know? I’m configured this way. It’s works ok. I don’t like fiddling with the phone while driving. Voice recognition for me is about 80%. I need it to be 95%+ to be truly useful.

Mr. Big 01-12-2018 12:23 AM

Too bad the iPhone needs to be plugged into the USB port for Siri to work via voice control. In BWWs and Corvettes all that's required is a Bluetooth connection.

tstafford 01-12-2018 04:33 AM

Thanks guys.

Yeah - BMW actually does it via wifi not BT. But either way it's nice that it doesn't require plugging in. Plus BMW has wireless charging. Wireless charging plus wireless CarPlay is quite nice. Maybe in the 992. . .

Sounds like I'll be able to make something work. I've come to like CarPlay. I'll post more once I do in case others have similar questions.

Mr. Big 01-12-2018 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by tstafford (Post 14726017)
Thanks guys.

Yeah - BMW actually does it via wifi not BT.

I believe Siri gets its data from WiFi/LTE, but the connection to the car is Bluetooth.

tstafford 01-12-2018 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Big (Post 14726024)
I believe Siri gets its data from WiFi/LTE, but the connection to the car is Bluetooth.

It may well use both. The car definitely creates a CarPlay wifi network that the phone joins. I have it in the M2 and it works well. If Wifi is turned off on the phone (BT on) it will not operate.

marinb 01-12-2018 08:07 PM

Siri works the same with or without the voice control module. Just hold the voice control button for 3s and it activates Siri.

However, I recommend getting the voice control module even if you never use it and only Siri.

Because if you don't have have VC and then activate Siri, you get a stupid momentary (2s) error message on the top of the PCM that says something like:
"Voice Control Operation Not Supported". (even though Siri will work as expected). So if that will drive your OCD crazy, get VC.

Mr. Big 01-12-2018 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by marinb (Post 14727546)
Siri works the same with or without the voice control module. Just hold the voice control button for 3s and it activates Siri.

However, I recommend getting the voice control module even if you never use it and only Siri.

Because if you don't have have VC and then activate Siri, you get a stupid momentary (2s) error message on the top of the PCM that says something like:
"Voice Control Operation Not Supported". (even though Siri will work as expected). So if that will drive your OCD crazy, get VC.

This is when the iPhone is connected via USB, right? Mine won't work when it's a Bluetooth connection.

marinb 01-12-2018 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Big (Post 14727551)
This is when the iPhone is connected via USB, right? Mine won't work when it's a Bluetooth connection.

Correct, that seems to be the case for me too. My car has VC.

Can anyone with a 991.2 without VC confirm their behavior?

tstafford 01-13-2018 08:59 AM

I'm going to brave the cold and go visit the car I bought later this AM. I'll see if I can get some time to play with the PCM/CarPlay and report back. I'm very familiar with CarPlay in my M2 so I should be able to give a decent report.

Edit: Only had a few mins in car. Confirmed car doesn't have VC. Siri works fine with CarPlay either by yelling "Hey Siri" or briefly depressing button on stalk. Waring does occur that VC isn't optioned. For those who like CarPlay, this all works quite well. YMMV but the wired CarPlay seems faster than the wireless in the BMW.

BlackOptic 05-02-2018 08:12 PM

Reviving an old thread.

My 911 does NOT have Voice Control. And, I have successfully used Siri to initiate calls, and send text messages (while my phone is plugged in, inside the center console).

But, WHERE IS THE MICROPHONE?

In the car somewhere? Or just leveraging the iPhone's mic (inside the center console)?