Porsche again sets new records for deliveries - Page 5 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 991
Reload this Page >

Porsche again sets new records for deliveries

Notices
Sponsored by:

Porsche again sets new records for deliveries

Old 01-16-2018, 12:15 PM
BlackBeauty
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
My local, relatively small, dealership has a dozen .2s on their lot unsold, so it's not like the cars are super hard to get.
Yup, the problem now is getting an allocation. Instead of dealers getting more, they seem to be stuck with whatever they had planned coming into the new year.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:21 PM
STG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Time will tell how Porsche handles it's growth without losing sight of where it came from.

Growth always brings challenges without compromising your roots.

They keep growing and dealers keep building bigger and more $$ showrooms. Volume needs to feed that. Can they keep the sports cars niche and not try and make them the next M whatever? We can revisit in 10-15 yrs. My guess is the bigger a car company gets, the more diluted things become.

Like someone had mentioned, you'd have to be an idiot and not ride the last 5+ yrs of economic benefits. Car sales are slowing and what will the next 5-10 years look like?? In a slowing sales environment with big capital expenditures at the company and dealer levels, some sales orientated decisions may override logical ones.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:22 AM
Papa Fittig
User

Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
Exactly. Porsche isn't marketing to us oldies, just as BMW wasn't doing that when Chris Bangle took their cars in a 'new direction' and all the BMW fanboys screamed. They were looking for new customers to bring into the fold. And while that marked a dramatic turning point in the direction of the company, they survived and came out the other end just fine. Always have to keep looking forward.
...and E39 540i BMW was my last 5-series BMW period.

...and if marketing for them youngies is Porsche's focus going forward, which might make sense, then they should be ready to go robocars in 10-15 years from now. The car automation revolution will sure change the industry and the way we think about cars. Our kids/grand kids in 15-20 years from now will perhaps never even learn how to drive. Think how many youngsters today know how to use manual exposure mode when taking a pic? How many even use a camera as opposed to a phone?

...and - Here is from Lutz Meschke - Vice President of the Porsche Executive Board:
"The Porsche sports car will be one of the last automobiles with a steering wheel. But autonomous driving will dramatically change the efficiency of using vehicles. We therefore have to assume that we will have to create potential for growth alongside the vehicle in the era of autonomous driving."
- Thank you, It says it all.

...and recent Car&Driver issue on car autonomy gives us a glimpse into not too distant future https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...lained-feature
..so we all should get ready. Forget China, we have bigger threat to our driving passion on hand.

...and BTW Car and Driver should preserve a "Car no Driver" name IMO.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:28 AM
Archimedes
Super User

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig View Post
I had an E39 and an E46 as well. Those were the last good looking cars BMW made. They haven't made a single car since that is remotely classically good looking or really has that BMW identity.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:52 AM
sampelligrino
Addict
Rennlist Member

...and if marketing for them youngies is Porsche's focus going forward, which might make sense, then they should be ready to go robocars in 10-15 years from now. The car automation revolution will sure change the industry and the way we think about cars. Our kids/grand kids in 15-20 years from now will perhaps never even learn how to drive. Think how many youngsters today know how to use manual exposure mode when taking a pic? How many even use a camera as opposed to a phone?

...and - Here is from Lutz Meschke - Vice President of the Porsche Executive Board:
"The Porsche sports car will be one of the last automobiles with a steering wheel. But autonomous driving will dramatically change the efficiency of using vehicles. We therefore have to assume that we will have to create potential for growth alongside the vehicle in the era of autonomous driving."

...and recent Car&Driver issue on car autonomy gives us a glimpse into not too distant future https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...lained-feature
..so we all should get ready. Forget China, we have bigger threat to our driving passion on hand.

Well that was depressing to read...lol... might mean when that time arrives I have to hire an actual therapist instead of just taking the 911 out for a run
Old 01-17-2018, 06:05 AM
K-A
User

Originally Posted by sampelligrino View Post
Well that was depressing to read...lol... might mean when that time arrives I have to hire an actual therapist instead of just taking the 911 out for a run
F*******. Now you made it extra depressing.

My shrink’s name is “Weekend Runs Through the Hills Where It’s Just Me and the 911.”
Old 01-17-2018, 11:52 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by K-A View Post

F*******. Now you made it extra depressing.

My shrink’s name is “Weekend Runs Through the Hills Where It’s Just Me and the 911.”
I bring a couple cigars with me
Old 01-17-2018, 01:38 PM
stout
Addict
Rennlist Member

Truly, the E60 5-series was the beginning of the end of BMW as "The ultimate driving machine." I still hanker after a E39 528i or 530i with the Sport Package. Certain E30s, E28s, and E34s, also. Maybe an E36 or two.

I hanker after no new BMW.

Or even a manual gearbox! But is it any real surprise? How many parents have a manual to teach them on? And how many parents drive something that is actually soulful? Remember the days when even a Honda Accord or Civic had soul—back when they had low cowls, stick shifts, and four cylinders? And even the middle of the road Accord has pop-up headlights? I sometimes wonder if driving has become less pleasurable for people who don't care about cars because the cars themselves have become less pleasurable to operate. Alongside a number of other woes, congestion and distracted driving among them.

An interesting twist on Ferry's quote, is it not? And far less graceful or forceful than "The last automobile will be a sports car." Times change, and autonomous cars may be a-comin, but I am not so sure we'll see them as soon or as completely as legislators and carmakers seem to suggest. No one has really spelled out what the changeover will look like, how the liability will be handled (and inevitable loss of life to machine error), and how autonomous cars will fit into rural areas—where a shared fleet might not work so well. Much as I love San Francisco and the Bay Area, rural areas are sounding better all the time...

As for C/D, maybe they should reserve "Car and Rider"? They did a better job painting the "autonomous future" than anyone else to date, but I am still not convinced it will look like any of us think it will.

Last edited by stout; 01-17-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:52 PM
kmk0303
User

I agree, I had both an e39 528 5 speed with M pkg followed by a 540 with M package. Hands down the best model run and true timeless classic.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:45 PM
mb1
Addict
Rennlist Member

I did European delivery of an E39 540 6MT in the summer of 1998 with my wife and then 3 y.o. son. While dribbling around at around 100 mph on the Autobahn, my wife said something to the effect of "is that all it's got?". Sweeter words were never spoken...
Wonderful car. Have not driven a more "soulful" 4 door since I traded it for my first 911.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:31 PM
STG
Addict
Rennlist Member

So ..... everyone thinks Porsche can do no wrong. I'm sure same was thought about BMW. Things aren't always a smashing success in the business world as we know. Even Porsche in the past.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche again sets new records for deliveries

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: