Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is January / February a bad time to find 911 deals?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 01:41 AM
ducstar
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Is January / February a bad time to find 911 deals?

It seems there were lots of good deals around November / December, is January a bad time to find a deal?

Too early for 2018 model discounts and too late for 2017 available on the lot.

What is the ideal time. End of the month? Should I just wait when dealers start ordering 2019s and find a deal on existing 2018s?

I'm finally ready to make a purchase but not sure if my timing is off.

thanks
Old 01-11-2018, 09:36 AM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You should do the same or even better now than then, at least it would be like that according to what I see in south Florida
Old 01-11-2018, 09:54 AM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

I'd be far less concerned with getting a deal and far more concerned with getting the exact car you want. These cars a practically individual snow flakes with the amount of options and colors available.

Your buying a Porsche so get the right one for you irrespective of price. A few lousy bucks one way or the other shouldn't be part of the equation in my opinion.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:12 AM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

While @911seeker is correct about the deals here in FL, @blepski has it right-on.
I was also shopping for a deal, but only to then it struck me that i'f i'm spending almost 150K on a car, 10K off but settling on an interior/exterior color, MT vs PDK or other is not worth it.
A good friend of mine always says, if you build or find the one you have always wanted, will you ever look back and say "should i have settled on a diff color or feature?". I'm sure you can't say the same if you go the the compromise route.
That said, if you find the exact car you were looking for, you should be able to get a good deal on both 17 or 18.

Good luck...
Old 01-11-2018, 11:20 AM
Jon D
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Just finished my search and there are still a few 17s around, but as the others said only if it meets your specs. An extra option or two might not hurt but wrong color or trans would be a deal breaker for me.

Ome example I know of is a Sapphire Blue S Cabriolet at Porsche West Broward.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:16 PM
mwjackson92
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

It's a seller's market, the economy is very strong and the top 5% that are buying these cars have cash to burn. Atleast for the past 3 CPO cars I've inquired about, the dealers were not willing to budge on price more than a couple hundred bucks. I don't seem to remember this when I was shopping 2 years ago for a 991.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:27 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by ducstar
It seems there were lots of good deals around November / December, is January a bad time to find a deal?

Too early for 2018 model discounts and too late for 2017 available on the lot.

What is the ideal time. End of the month? Should I just wait when dealers start ordering 2019s and find a deal on existing 2018s?

I'm finally ready to make a purchase but not sure if my timing is off.

thanks
I got 6% off MSRP on an ordered car with the colors and the options that I wanted. No hassles but I also traded in another Porsche. The dealer that I use had several 2017 911s on the lot but none had the options I wanted. They order strangely-optioned cars IMO, for the lot. You are better off building a car to your preferences and then getting an allocation from a local dealer. It is not entirely unreasonable to ask for a 6% discount. Allocations tend to vanish fairly quickly so it always better to order ahead of time. Now would be a good time for a 2018 911. For a car costing this much money, a few bucks here or there won't make a big difference.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:29 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

It would also be helpful if you put your location in your profile below your screen name.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:31 PM
9ELOVIN
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

It is a sellers' market, as noted above. If you are ordering a car your deal depends on your negotiating skills, the economy and the dealer's allotment(s) for the car you want. If you are buying off the lot, the same applies but the best times to negotiate are year end, quarter end and month end in that order. I think the reasons are obvious but like every business the dealer is trying to make or exceed quotas.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:59 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

One factor right now - the lead times on a build to order are ridiculous. I bought a car today and had to "settle" for a car with some options I didn't want and missing some I would have liked. To get one made was potentially a 120+ day process. The discounts were fine but the lead time was too long for me. That probably is adversely impacting inventories as people like me purchase existing cars rather than order.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:06 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sales are down 3.5% through Oct.31st. Maybe more cars went to China and that would make it a seller's market. However, if it's because dealers didn't sell them, then the advantage is to the buyer. Cayman and Boxster sales have been a disaster this past year. Dealers will practically pay you to drive away with one of those from stock. Another big factor is where are you looking. Shop the snow covered, frozen dealers. Sport cars sales are very slow at this time of year for those dealers.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:10 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

I've got a few 911's for sale at my store and am very incentivized to sell them before the end of the month. coupe? cab? 2s? powerkit? what color are you looking for?

we can trade from dealer to dealer so if there is something specific you want we can work it out. I'd like to keep growing in 2018 like my store did in 2017.

Quick Reply: Is January / February a bad time to find 911 deals?