Sponsored by:

991.1 C2S Non-PSE Exhaust Mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 12:27 PM
bson
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ThePhanatic
I absolutely love my Sharkwerks exhaust. No drone at lower speeds but sounds amazing anywhere above 3k.
Is that the x-pipe, or side bypass? Considering the side bypass in conjunction with my existing PSE, especially because they're local. Can handle some drone at highway speeds, but not the type that resonates and booms throughout the cabin. My only concern.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:51 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by oolor13
I like the option to have the remote control coded to the Homelink transmitter.
This is what I do. Eventually I'll get the PSE button.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:27 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 307 Likes on 213 Posts

We produce a center muffler delete X-Pipe that sounds fantastic. It is designed to bolt right up to the OEM mufflers.

Here is a video showing a direct comparison between OEM and Speedtech X-Pipe replacement:

Shown at the bottom of the page here: http://www.speedtechexhausts.com/ast1_041.htm
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook

Old 01-11-2018, 01:46 PM
ajeffrey10
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by John D II
We produce a center muffler delete X-Pipe that sounds fantastic. It is designed to bolt right up to the OEM mufflers.

Here is a video showing a direct comparison between OEM and Speedtech X-Pipe replacement: https://youtu.be/sA9QfMRb898

Shown at the bottom of the page here: http://www.speedtechexhausts.com/ast1_041.htm
I appreciate another option!

The 991 in that video appears to be a base, correct? How does your X-pipe work with a C2S? Any comparison vids?
Old 01-11-2018, 03:04 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 307 Likes on 213 Posts

Hi,

Yes, correct. That is a base c2. Our x-pipe also fits the 3.8 S cars and is a direct bolt on. The sound would be very similar to the video that I linked. Sorry, we do not have a comparison video with the S model.

That said, we feel that our center muffler delete x-pipe does a really nice job of waking up the car, while providing a very refined and extremely sporty tone.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:48 PM
ajeffrey10
Instructor

Originally Posted by Code
I cant say enough good things about my AWE switch path system. Simple to install, nice HP/TQ bump, and sounds amazing! My car was non-PSE from the factory, but I added the PSE button and had the ecu programmed so I can manually open the valves on the switch path just like you would an OEM PSE.
Thanks. That's helpful input.

Did you have the dealer do the install/ECU reprogramming?
Old 01-18-2018, 03:30 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ajeffrey10
Thanks. That's helpful input.

Did you have the dealer do the install/ECU reprogramming?
I installed the PSE button myself, TAG installed the exhaust, and the dealer did the ECU.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:01 PM
OC 991
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Code
I installed the PSE button myself, TAG installed the exhaust, and the dealer did the ECU.
And damn does it sound good!!
To everyone but scurrying children and old ladies
Old 01-18-2018, 10:04 PM
OC 991
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Check IPE also if you're considering these. It is higher pitched and I like the sound better than Akra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He01...s5pzydw03c010c
Agreed, you have great taste... (when you're not too busy stirring the pot hihihihi )
But... at over 10K
Not everyone idea of a "fun" addition just to play with.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:32 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

A word of caution when putting on exhausts, and just my opinion.

Like in most things, you get what you pay for. X-pipes are fun for a bit, but they boom and cause drone because you have lost the center dampening muffler. It's physics, not speculation and if you don't believe it, ask an automobile engineer that designs exhausts. You will tend to go with inexpensive and loud, but you may also regret it down the road when the newness wears off and you find you can't make a phone call on the highway when cruising because of the thrumming in the cabin. if you just want to be loud, Any X-Pipe (choose your maker) will do the job.

What most Porsche owners want is tone, which is not necessarily loud. For that you need a complete, engineered system. Makes good race car sounds when you are on the gas, but when you are going out to dinner with your wife/date and driving like she wants you to drive, you can have a conversation easily. A good aftermarket exhaust is going to be more than any X-Pipe, but you also won't be pulling it off the car a year later because of drone. I think Akropovic makes the best, but its pushing $ 10K. I have had a Tubi on my car for 3 1/2 years and its perfect for me and was around $ 4,500. There are other complete exhausts out there as well. Yes, I had an AWE Switchpath on the car for a few days before the Tubi - not my cup of tea.

Anyone can make a loud exhaust, it takes some engineering and talent to make a tuned one. And not a single one of these cat-back units are going to add power - that's a pipe dream so don't buy into that part of the pitch,

Last edited by drcollie; 01-19-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:52 AM
ajeffrey10
Instructor

Originally Posted by drcollie
A word of caution when putting on exhausts, and just my opinion.

Like in most things, you get what you pay for. X-pipes are fun for a bit, but they boom and cause drone because you have lost the center dampening muffler. It's physics, not speculation and if you don't believe it, ask an automobile engineer that designs exhausts. You will tend to go with inexpensive and loud, but you may also regret it down the road when the newness wears off and you find you can't make a phone call on the highway when cruising because of the thrumming in the cabin. if you just want to be loud, X-Pipe (choose your maker) and that will do the job.

What most Porsche owners want is tone, which is not necessarily loud. For that you need a complete, engineered system. Makes good race car sounds when you are on the gas, but when you are going out to dinner with your wife/date and driving like she wants you to drive, you can have a conversation easily. A good aftermarket exhaust is going to be more than any X-Pipe, but you also won't be pulling it off the car a year later because of drone. I think Akropovic makes the best, but its pushing $ 10K. I have had a Tubi on my car for 3 1/2 years and its perfect for me and was around $ 4,500. There are other complete exhausts out there as well. Yes, I had an AWE Switchpath on the car for a few days before the Tubi - not my cup of tea.

Anyone can make a loud exhaust, it takes some engineering and talent to make a tuned one. And not a single once of these cat-back units are going to add power - that's a pipe dream so don't buy into that part of the pitch,
The more I've read, the truer this rings to me. The X-Pipe options seem alluring, and companies like AWE and Soul seem to make really good products, but eliminating that center muffler seems to be asking for drone and/or vibration and perhaps other issues. As a result, I'm looking at either Tubi, Fister or factory PSE. Of the three, PSE is the least expensive, for sure, and I kind of like the idea of an OEM solution. Would anyone push back really hard on that conclusion?
Old 01-19-2018, 11:34 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Going to be a PSE for sale shortly, get first in line!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1043...r-instead.html
Old 01-19-2018, 11:39 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by OC 991
Agreed, you have great taste... (when you're not too busy stirring the pot hihihihi )
But... at over 10K
Not everyone idea of a "fun" addition just to play with.
Akra =10K
IPE about half!
Old 01-19-2018, 11:46 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by ajeffrey10
The more I've read, the truer this rings to me. The X-Pipe options seem alluring, and companies like AWE and Soul seem to make really good products, but eliminating that center muffler seems to be asking for drone and/or vibration and perhaps other issues. As a result, I'm looking at either Tubi, Fister or factory PSE. Of the three, PSE is the least expensive, for sure, and I kind of like the idea of an OEM solution. Would anyone push back really hard on that conclusion?
If you just want an X pipe - any muffler shop can easily make you one cheap. There is no tuning or engineering involved here.

As Doc said - you get what you pay for in terms of tone, build quality and drone.

Some top Quality ones (certainly not a complete list)
Akra
IPE
Tubi
FVD
Kline

Tier 2 (not quite the quality but not as expensive)
AWE
Fabspeed
Soul
Cargraphic
remus
sharkwerks
Capristo
Old 01-19-2018, 11:59 AM
ajeffrey10
Instructor

Originally Posted by R_Rated
If you just want an X pipe - any muffler shop can easily make you one cheap. There is no tuning or engineering involved here.

As Doc said - you get what you pay for in terms of tone, build quality and drone.

Some top Quality ones (certainly not a complete list)
Akra
IPE
Tubi
FVD
Kline

Tier 2 (not quite the quality but not as expensive)
AWE
Fabspeed
Soul
Cargraphic
remus
sharkwerks
Capristo
Awesome list. Thanks!

I think I'm going for the full exhaust replace, so either PSE or Tubi.

Quick Reply: 991.1 C2S Non-PSE Exhaust Mods