Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   991.2 GTS no rear axle steering and standard PASM (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1042595-991-2-gts-no-rear-axle-steering-and-standard-pasm.html)

ducstar 01-10-2018 01:43 AM

991.2 GTS no rear axle steering and standard PASM

Will I be missing out on performance If I purchase a GTS without rear axle steering and standard PASM (standard 10mm vs 20mm lower)

Thoughts?

Yojeffo 01-10-2018 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by ducstar (Post 14721503)
Will I be missing out on performance If I purchase a GTS without rear axle steering and standard PASM (standard 10mm vs 20mm lower)

Thoughts?

YES... RWS a must! Icing on the cake on my 2018 C4S

worf928 01-10-2018 03:33 AM

RAS is definitely a plus. SPASM may not be a good thing if your roads suck and you plan to do something other than track driving. Or, if you have steep inclines to navigate and pass on FAL.

marinb 01-10-2018 04:03 AM

I didn't get it on my 991.2 GTS. Went for the purist build, rwd w/ manual, with the least amount of computers controlling my shifting, traction, and steering. =P Also, I'm hoping this will be a long term car for me, so one less thing to break down the road.

Some people say it helps with parking, but honestly that's been a non-issue for me, the car is small and super easy to park. Also, you have to be going above 50mph for it to activate during high-speed cornering, which doesn't happen often on the street. Overall, I'm not missing it. Happy with my choice.

If you can't decide... flip a coin. I'm sure you'll be happy with the car with or without RAS.

marinb 01-10-2018 04:21 AM

It really comes down to what options are most important to you personally. Stack rank them, draw a line at your max budget, and don't get any of the options below the line.

If you are trying to do a max perf GTS build, then I think that's probably the 4GTS with PDK, PDCC, SPASM, RAS, and PCCB. Will you be missing out on some performance if you don't get one of those? Yes (of course). Does it matter? Not really (the car is fantastic!)

AnandN 01-10-2018 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by ducstar (Post 14721503)

Thoughts?

I didn't get rear wheel steer in my C4S. I honestly could not tell the difference. I also don't track my car and wanted to be able to use 19 inch winter wheels and tires.
Regarding SPASM, I don't know if it is more prone to scraping with the more aggressive-looking front fascia of the GTS models. May need to add front axle lift. With standard PASM in my car, the ride is pretty decent in normal and pretty harsh in sport plus.

tstafford 01-10-2018 09:58 AM

If I was ordering the car I'd pay for RWS but I wouldn't rule out a car that didn't have it if I was buying off the lot. Note: I track my cars. If I didn't I wouldn't care either way about RWS - probably wouldn't order it just to save $$$.

docmalone 01-10-2018 10:15 AM

Lots of different opinions, as expected. I've been in my Targa 4 GTS now for one full month, 1500 miles, and I did not get RAS or PDCC. Compared to my previous TTS which did have both RAS and PDCC, I do not miss those options and the car is great fun to drive. I am not disappointed and not kicking myself for not including those options. Despite being heavy, this Targa "feels" smaller and more go-cart-ish than the TTS. Not sure if it is the absence of these options or just me being out of a 911 for a year and missing it!

basic666 01-10-2018 12:36 PM

The way i see it, any modern 911 has waaay too much performance than anyone whos not a professional driver to utilize. Would test drive different cars for the SPASM though. I felt the ones with SPASM felt a lot tighter than ones without, but that's just my preference

TheeBlackMamba 01-10-2018 12:48 PM

If you lower the vehicle with coilovers or springs, is PASM even necessary?

nilaz 01-10-2018 01:20 PM

I am not a professional driver who can even utilise 50% of any 911.2 car. In order to do that I might have to spend at least 50K € for driving lessons in track in order to get experience and confidence.

From my point of view 911.2 GTS is a great car even with standard options and definitely will be a dream car for me.

Options are good in case I have the money to pay but I would prefer to spend this money for Porsche driving lessons around the globe and Turing sessions with my family in my GTS.

stephen k 01-10-2018 01:49 PM

If you drive both back to back you can feel the difference with the RWS immediately especially if the road is curved and off banked. RWS makes the rear end lateral weight transfer almost seamless and tucks in the rear better in a turn whereas w/o RWS you can feel the lateral weight transfer through the whole turn. Driving many vehicles without this type of feature really makes a rear engine car like the 911 + RWS feel like magic.

Also - I have a good friend who purchased and have the same amount of miles as I do and I have been noticing a lot less tire wear on the rear tires of his car.

Is no-RWS a deal breaker? To me it is not. I like feeling the mechanical grip and I am not trying to break any records on the track. Like one mentioned above I wanted to have a more pure form of a 911 so I went NO RWS, SPASM, 7mt, and non sport chrono on my C2S and do not regret missing any of these on the options sheet.

Stephen

Mark993TT 01-10-2018 03:49 PM

RAS/RWS no, sport PASM yes. Imho.

nilaz 01-10-2018 04:01 PM

GTS Coupe has -20mm lower settings by default. Is this considered as sport pasm?

arter 01-10-2018 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by nilaz (Post 14722575)
GTS Coupe has -20mm lower settings by default. Is this considered as sport pasm?

yes, you can also option to get the higher setup (-10mm) if you wish a softer ride.