Sponsored by:

Spark Plug Coil boot stuck on spark plug

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 01:47 AM
wilsonaudio
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Spark Plug Coil boot stuck on spark plug

I am new to the Porsche world. I own a 2014 911 991 C2. I like to do my own maintenance. I started a spark plug replacement on Saturday. All was going well when I pulled the coil pack off the spark plug and the rubber boot end stayed on the spark plug. I tried to pull it off with long needle nose pliers but it is really stuck on there. I've come across one other thread that talks about this issue. This thread talked about spraying lube inside the boot and using something to separate the boot from the plug. Has anyone else had this issue when replacing plugs? If so, how did you remove it? Any tips?

Old 04-29-2019, 02:37 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by wilsonaudio
I am new to the Porsche world. I own a 2014 911 991 C2. I like to do my own maintenance. I started a spark plug replacement on Saturday. All was going well when I pulled the coil pack off the spark plug and the rubber boot end stayed on the spark plug. I tried to pull it off with long needle nose pliers but it is really stuck on there. I've come across one other thread that talks about this issue. This thread talked about spraying lube inside the boot and using something to separate the boot from the plug. Has anyone else had this issue when replacing plugs? If so, how did you remove it? Any tips?

Take a wire hanger, straighten it out and cut a 45 degree end off the tip to form a spear. Take a set a pliers and bend the tip to form an arc that is slightly larger than the inner diameter of the coil rubber tubing. Insert the arc in the head where the spark plug’s tip is located and hook the rubber insulator by pulling out. You may need to widen/narrow the arc for a better fit.

Hooked wire hanger.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:51 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Would a long pair of needle nose pliers work?
Old 04-29-2019, 08:47 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Precisely why my Mx routine is new plugs and coils every 2 years. The heat is unrelenting.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:39 AM
wilsonaudio
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you all for the excellent feedback. I tried using a pair of long needle nose pliers. I was able to pull on the boot but couldn't get it off. I didn't want to damage the rubber sleeve so I gave up. I purchased some silicone based lube that I will spray inside of the sleeve and use a coat hanger as suggested to try to break the seal.. This should be easy on the front and middle cylinders but I'm concerned about the access to the rear spark plug due to other equipment in the way. I will try this on the weekend and get back to you on my success.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Coil boot stuck on spark plug