Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound "symposer" vs PSE

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 11:08 AM
YTownSpyder
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

The clicking noise are the valves opening on your exhaust.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:03 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by YTownSpyder
The clicking noise are the valves opening on your exhaust.
Yea I think so just trying to confirm because I never really noticed it till recently. The valves are on the exhaust so I wouldn't expect to hear them, but I think the vacuum is on top of the engine.

Does sound symposer make noise when opening/closing?

I recall I heard more in sports mode, but now normal/ sport sounds really similar from inside. From outside when PSE is on its an obvious difference.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:53 PM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The sound symposer is just a Porsche marketing gimmick to appease the millennium "cookies and milk" crowd IMO. When Porsches were designed to be driven hard, the majority of the buyers realized...….engine exhausts make noises (believe it or not). Now that the majority of Porsches buyers are only interested in impressing people with the size of their other P...….who needs engine noise?

Rumors from the factory has it that upcoming Configurators will offer a new PSE.2 option...……..Perfume Scent Effect. Built right into the dash, it will include scents with catchy names like "Quiet Hour" and "Misty Mornings"
Old 02-23-2019, 01:03 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Does anyone have a sense of the sound difference, both inside and out, between the base 991.2 exhaust system and the S system? The base system is single stage, while the S system has exhaust valves which open a more direct exhaust passage and two more pipes at high rpm/large throttle openings. Presumably the S system also has less back pressure during high-power operation.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:50 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by trysixty
The sound symposer is just a Porsche marketing gimmick to appease the millennium "cookies and milk" crowd IMO. When Porsches were designed to be driven hard, the majority of the buyers realized...….engine exhausts make noises (believe it or not). Now that the majority of Porsches buyers are only interested in impressing people with the size of their other P...….who needs engine noise?

Rumors from the factory has it that upcoming Configurators will offer a new PSE.2 option...……..Perfume Scent Effect. Built right into the dash, it will include scents with catchy names like "Quiet Hour" and "Misty Mornings"
''yarr... back in my day we blah blah.' "Get a grip grandpa."

Mostly old men buy Porsche cars so hopefully that's the audience marketing department is targeting.

What you mean is 992 will offer an ionizer. Basically purifies air and personal experience is they work especially if you have allergies. Does wonders for old men with breathing difficulties including sleep apnea.

Seriously though having engine sounds piped into is good thing because it allows the car to be more insulated so you don't hear the sounds that are bad (drone etc). In reality even though its rear engine, its behind a firewall and well insulated. The old air-cooled cars were much more crude in all ways, but that doesn't mean 'better.'
Old 02-23-2019, 09:50 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by trysixty

And yet, it's the boomers and gen X who are actually buying 911's, not "millenniums." Sounds like you need to take it up with the 50+ crowd as to why 911's keep getting quieter and more insulated.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:06 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by DBH
May I suggest that whenever you can, roll the windows down. The sound is intoxicating!! You'll also freeze this time of year on LI.
I do that all the time, sometimes just crank up the heat. Love that sound! 991.1 w/ PSE.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:42 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts

you could burn a CD of a .1 N/A
Old 02-24-2019, 10:05 AM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
What BMW has done right. Pump it in digitally over the stereo.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:24 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by Homeles

Wow. Opening yourself up to a lot of liability with a suggestion like that on the internet.
What?! There are not enough lawyers in the world to represent people who did something stupid based on what someone told them to do online!
Old 02-26-2019, 01:59 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
What?! There are not enough lawyers in the world to represent people who did something stupid based on what someone told them to do online!
Crap. Ya mean now I have to go and reverse that mod I did, per his suggestion?
Old 02-26-2019, 05:43 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor

Quick Reply: Sound "symposer" vs PSE