Sponsored by:

how long from order to delivery

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 07:58 PM
JFerraro17
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Gordon—

I’m trying REALLLLLLLLY hard not to be pissed and reactive to this whole thing. Venting here, and I have multiple times, has helped, since it seems to fall on deaf ears at the dealership. I think you and I discussed a “9 month gestation” a while back during one of my vents.

I’ve connected a few dots recently, and believe now that the dealership was playing fast & loose with “my” allocation. Perhaps because I’m a raffle winner. Perhaps because I’m not a multiple-time return customer. Perhaps both. But I think I got played and my allocation (and corresponding lock) was changed multiple times for their convenience. They hold all the information and can basically tell a guy in my position anything they want. What’s my recourse? Cancel the order on a “free” car?

Is what it is at this point; will be here when it gets here. But I can’t say it’s been a pleasant experience, nor one I’d want to repeat as a paying customer. Whether that falls on PAG, PCNA or the dealership doesn’t really matter in my mind...one in the same.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:08 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JFerraro17
Gordon—

I’m trying REALLLLLLLLY hard not to be pissed and reactive to this whole thing. Venting here—and I have multiple times—has helped, since it seems to fall on deaf ears at the dealership. I think you and I discussed a “9 month gestation” a while back during one of my vents.

I’ve connected a few dots recently, and believe now that the dealership was playing fast & loose with “my” allocation. Perhaps because I’m a raffle winner. Perhaps because I’m not a multiple-time return customer. Perhaps both. But I think I got played and my allocation (and corresponding lock) was changed multiple times for their convenience. They hold all the information and can basically tell a guy in my position anything they want. What’s my recourse? Cancel the order on a “free” car?

Is what it is at this point; will be here when it gets here. But I can’t say it’s been a pleasant experience, nor one I’d want to repeat as a paying customer. Whether that falls on PAG, PCNA or the dealership doesn’t really matter in my mind...one in the same.

I have no doubt that is what happened. One would have to be terminally naive to think some dealers don't play fast & loose with allocations. I am sure there are dealers that will take orders without an allocation, and then sit on it until they get one, or can trade for one. Even worse is when a high roller may come in to the dealership wanting a car, and your allocation mysteriously gets reallocated and waiting for the next allocation. I hope no dealers do that, but I'm relatively sure it happens. The sales mgr. at my dealership is a friend, and he has told me some real horror stories on what can happen at some of these dealerships.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:21 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 359 Likes on 234 Posts

Any dealer who sells allocations after taking an order and deposit is completely unscrupulous. I have not heard of it or perhaps I am lucky with my dealer.
Mine had two allocations for 2018 4s coupes and I placed a deposit of 5k for one in April of 2017. I also sold them my 13 Boxster S. They were upfront that the build date was in July. I did not get updates but the car was delivered as promised in August, two weeks earlier than the delivery date. And this happened despite the EPA holding up deliveries. One of the benefits of living in a non-CARB state. A nine month wait is completely unacceptable.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:24 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 608 Posts

I ordered October 2016 and took delivery July 2017, but I had both PTS and LTS (and snuck in the Powerkit Package "sort of" after the build had frozen thanks to good work by my dealer and the regional rep).
My fastest delivery was a 981 Boxster GTS that I ordered the end of September (2015) and took delivery before Thanksgiving.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:26 PM
JFerraro17
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
Even worse is when a high roller may come in to the dealership wanting a car, and your allocation mysteriously gets reallocated and waiting for the next allocation.

Yup. I’m 99% positive once, and suspecting twice.

Which then led to Christmas break, and then “parts shortage”.....and all of a sudden it’s 6.5 months.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:01 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Luckily I cannot say my experience has been too bad. The sales guy initially quoted ten weeks but indicated that they were recently experiencing closer to eight weeks. In fact, it took exactly eight weeks, to the day, to arrive at the dealer. Two days later, after dealer prep and arrival of documents from Porsche in Atlanta, I took possession.

My previous Cayman took ~ten week - same dealer.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:46 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Gordon—

I’m trying REALLLLLLLLY hard not to be pissed and reactive to this whole thing. Venting here, and I have multiple times, has helped, since it seems to fall on deaf ears at the dealership. I think you and I discussed a “9 month gestation” a while back during one of my vents.

You aren't alone, brother. I ordered Oct 31 and SA thought it would be here in Feb. End of Dec, the spreadsheet showed dealer delivery on March 30th. Checked again today, and now it is showing April 27th. Not a happy camper but I agree, it will be here when it gets here. Not much I can do about it at this point.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:12 PM
JFerraro17
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hurricane

You aren't alone, brother. I ordered Oct 31 and SA thought it would be here in Feb. End of Dec, the spreadsheet showed dealer delivery on March 30th. Checked again today, and now it is showing April 27th. Not a happy camper but I agree, it will be here when it gets here. Not much I can do about it at this point.

Thanks Hurricane. The thing that chaps my hide is the shady-ness of the whole thing. I’ve got the screen caps of the production schedule from the beginning. The original order/lock, all the way thru to the latest. NOT once has an explanation been truly given....just vague possible reasons.

Even your order date is 6 weeks after mine, yet we both show 3/30. Now I’m waiting for more bad news based on your post. End of April. Geez.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:37 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

So, I traded my 1995 993 during February 2015. My 2015 GTS 991 coupe was delivered on May 7, 2015. I had purchased 6 Porsches, 2 Audis and one Mercedes from this dealership. Is there an explanation for the rapidity of the delivery of my GTS?
Old 01-08-2018, 07:13 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman
So, I traded my 1995 993 during February 2015. My 2015 GTS 991 coupe was delivered on May 7, 2015. I had purchased 6 Porsches, 2 Audis and one Mercedes from this dealership. Is there an explanation for the rapidity of the delivery of my GTS?
3 years ago probably isn't real useful for todays data. Maybe you got lucky and maybe because you had purchased 9 cars from them they did their best to get you one as quickly as possible.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:25 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

The biggest luck factor here is securing an allocation due to lock in a week. Guaranteed to produce a relatively quick turnaround to the dealer.

Getting that allocation is probably where luck plays a less important role than money, or history.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:11 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Well here's a new one. According to my SA, he heard last week that U.S. 911’s are being delayed because there is a new EU regulation that goes in to effect in July and Porsche is trying to get as many 911’s built for the EU market before this regulation goes in force. Therefore, there are very few US 911’s coming in the first half of this year.

Take that for what you will. I haven't been able to find any corroborating information.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:12 AM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Well here's a new one. According to my SA, he heard last week that U.S. 911’s are being delayed because there is a new EU regulation that goes in to effect in July and Porsche is trying to get as many 911’s built for the EU market before this regulation goes in force. Therefore, there are very few US 911’s coming in the first half of this year.

Take that for what you will. I haven't been able to find any corroborating information.
That sounds a little like the dog ate my homework, but kudos to your SA for creativity.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:57 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
That sounds a little like the dog ate my homework, but kudos to your SA for creativity.

Thought I would share it for the entertainment value...
Old 01-09-2018, 11:22 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Thanks Hurricane. The thing that chaps my hide is the shady-ness of the whole thing. I’ve got the screen caps of the production schedule from the beginning. The original order/lock, all the way thru to the latest. NOT once has an explanation been truly given....just vague possible reasons.

Even your order date is 6 weeks after mine, yet we both show 3/30. Now I’m waiting for more bad news based on your post. End of April. Geez.
I feel your pain. I will be second guessing if I should have gone with another dealer, probably until delivery and then all will be forgotten.

Would have been better if they were more transparent. Leaves me wondering "will it get moved to the right AGAIN?"

Quick Reply: how long from order to delivery