Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anyone else disappointed by the Carrera T Auto Rev match function ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 06:37 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
I don't think so. The odd man out is the guy that can still do heel and toe despite the chatter and chest beating. I love rev matching. I wish it was available in normal mode.

+1

Clearly you don’t agree with my standpoint and that’s fine by me but that doesn’t entitle you to start making inflamitory remarks...
Old 01-07-2018, 06:44 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Yep, a simple on-off switch would have been fine. I can see the practical application of turning it on. Perhaps someone at the track would like to practice only hitting the apices, or Trail braking, etcetera, and not have to worry about heel-toeing. This is just a case where Porsche got too fancy for their own britches, tying it to modes and all. They got it confused with pdk, which people want to think and anticipate for them. When people order a manual transmission, they specifically don't want the car to think and decide for them.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:06 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

To me this is one of the strangest changes from 991.1 to .2. I think the .1 is perfect--sport without rev matching (but you get better throttle response etc) and rev matching in sport+. The best would be a way to configure it, or a button, but whatever I think the .1 way makes the most sense. If you really do want max performance then you should be using rev matching.

I'd be super annoyed to not be able to get the throttle response of sport without having rev matching.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:24 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Sport chrono changes almost nothing on the T. You get all the features just not the clock and lap timer wiring.

Someone mentioned on the GT3 it is the same for rev match, it is not, there is a button and all it does is on off rev match.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:51 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by blepski

Clearly you don’t agree with my standpoint and that’s fine by me but that doesn’t entitle you to start making inflamitory remarks...
Sorry. I didn't intend to be inflammatory and my comment was not directed at you. I should have put a ducking emoji after it since it was tongue in cheek. The point is that most Porsche drivers (and all drivers) are driving automatics, not manuals. Of the small number who do drive manuals, they are not heel and toeing which you really only need for performance driving any way. Granted polls on rennlist over inflate the number of manual and heel and toe drivers because it is an enthusiast forum.

I can agree with your points that rev matching should be selectable to satisfy all drivers. It seems simple enough to do.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:11 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueNorther
No. In individual mode, you can only choose Sport, sport +, enable/disable auto start stop, PSE, PSAM setting, and spoiler. You can't separately break out rev matching.
Well that's disappointing.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:37 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by blepski
I suppose that in order to share in my dissapointment and grief over that fact that it seems Porsche will never make a real drivers car again you’d first have to disagree with Auto Rev Matching ...

Personally, I find it to be one of the most absurd features to ever be put on a vehicle with a MANUAL transmission ... If convenience and around town comfort is what your after then PDK is the option for you .

For the rest of us it’s a nuisance that contradicts exactly why we purchased a MANUAL transmission in the first place ....

The fact that PSM needs to be switched off adds further annoyance because of the added step of disabling coupled with the warning light... Plus for spirited street driving many would appreciate the added safety net that PSM affords while exploring the cars limits...

+1!!!!!!!!!!!! Might as well get PDK
Old 01-08-2018, 01:47 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

Been mulling this, and skipped Sport Chrono on my .2 Carrera because I don't care for the dash top clock and because I just about never used the auto-blipper in my GT4 (but liked that it was there for when my better half, who wears size 8.5 womens shoes, wanted to drive the car). Patrick Long also preferred it on when he tested the car at Thermal. Skipping the Sport Chrono option avoids the issue, of course, but the auto-blipper is a nice feature to have even if you don't use it (I agree with all of the reasoning above).

The thing I'm missing is neither that nor the clock—but I wish there had been a way to get the active engine mounts, as they improve both the handling and the ride quality. And I now wish I had them. I sometimes wonder if there is a way to add the hardware and tie them to the Sport button.

Were I to do it over again, I might have ordered Sport Chrono to get the engine mounts. But then you're stuck with the auto-blipper...which should really be a standalone button on the dash separate from Sport, Sport Plus, and PSM.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:46 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Sorry. I didn't intend to be inflammatory and my comment was not directed at you. I should have put a ducking emoji after it since it was tongue in cheek. The point is that most Porsche drivers (and all drivers) are driving automatics, not manuals. Of the small number who do drive manuals, they are not heel and toeing which you really only need for performance driving any way. Granted polls on rennlist over inflate the number of manual and heel and toe drivers because it is an enthusiast forum.

I can agree with your points that rev matching should be selectable to satisfy all drivers. It seems simple enough to do.
I disagree. Matching revs and heel and toeing are two different things. I've driven MT for 42 years and still do both. I match revs on every single downshift and heel and toe on off ramps. I think there are still a few of us left that like to match ourselves.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:15 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
I disagree. Matching revs and heel and toeing are two different things. I've driven MT for 42 years and still do both. I match revs on every single downshift and heel and toe on off ramps. I think there are still a few of us left that like to match ourselves.
Absolutely. Matching revs is the first part of the equation, the easy part. Heel toeing is the second half of the equation.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:37 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911boy
Huh? Re-read my statement and then yours. Of course they are different things and I did not say otherwise. I'm not sure what point you are disagreeing with me on. I rev match without heel and toe in normal driving like many manual drivers. Do you really think the only way to match revs is to use your heel and toe? The larger point is that very few people do heel and toe anymore. Very few people did it before auto rev matching anyway. It's dead like the engine crank handle. Fact. Sorry.

And if you don't like rev matching, turn PSM off and you wont have it in any mode. Purist don't like all those safety nannies anyway right?
Old 01-08-2018, 03:40 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Huh? Re-read my statement and then yours. Of course they are different things and I did not say otherwise. I'm not sure what point you are disagreeing with me on. I rev match without heel and toe in normal driving like many manual drivers. Do you really think the only way to match revs is to use your heel and toe? The larger point is that very few people do heel and toe anymore. Very few people did it before auto rev matching anyway. It's dead like the engine crank handle. Fact. Sorry.
Wow. Calm down. I'm suggesting that more people (MT drivers) match revs and or H&T than you think. Sheesh.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:41 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

By this do you mean true "heel-toe," as in actual use of heel and toe, and not sides of the foot while rotating the foot on its heel to see the brake and gas at the same time? I tend to lump all versions of simultaneously manipulating the brake and throttle with one foot into "heel-toe" as suspect most others do, too. And I'm not sure that it's dead if thousands (tens of thousands? hundreds of thousands?) of drivers are doing it...
Old 01-08-2018, 03:43 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by stout
By this do you mean true "heel-toe," as in actual use of heel and toe, and not sides of the foot while rotating the foot on its heel to see the brake and gas at the same time? I tend to lump all versions of simultaneously manipulating the brake and throttle with one foot into "heel-toe" as suspect most others do, too. And I'm not sure that it's dead if thousands (tens of thousands? hundreds of thousands?) of drivers are doing it...
Thank you...........
Thats what i do.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:59 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stout
Yes, I did mean all version of simultaneous gas and brake action. However, some drivers who rev match just blip the throttle without braking if they are doing normal street driving and don't need to be braking hard. Most don't rev match at all. For reference, 5% of all new cars are sold as manuals (all cars not just Porsches). https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/...s-disappearing. Even so, the overwhelming majority of new Porsches are pdk and not manuals, so we are talking about a very small subset to begin with.

Of those manual drivers, how many are braking/throttle blipping simultaneously. Let's say 10% (I doubt it is that high). That means that 10% of 5% is .5% of new cars are using heel and toe (or rolling your foot)...and it is no where near that high.

But to get back to the OP's thread, he seemed to be concerned about the "mandatory" rev matching in a "driver's car" like a 911T. Many of the purist don't like all the safety nannies either. So just turn off PSM and rev matching is disabled. Do all the heel and toe that you want in all modes.

Quick Reply: Is anyone else disappointed by the Carrera T Auto Rev match function ???