Sponsored by:

First-Time Porsche Owner, Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 10:36 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by drive95
Your defensiveness is markedly surprising to me; I did not mean to touch a nerve. I have no experience with paint films and simply found it surprising it could cause damage.
I am not being defensive as I have no dog in the fight. I was just trying to understand why a professional installer doing his job was so "off putting" to you and looking for a better understanding of what your issue was. I was not involved in your conversation. Maybe he was just a jerk about it or something. I don't know.

Edit - my bad I confused you for an earlier post in the thread that was the actual person that had the conversation with the detailer. Rereading this I see you were just reacting to the post. Sorry
Old 01-08-2018, 10:39 AM
drive95
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
I am not being defensive as I have no dog in the fight. I was just trying to understand why a professional installer doing his job was so "off putting" to you and looking for a better understanding of what your issue was. I was not involved in your conversation. Maybe he was just a jerk about it or something. I don't know.
You confuse me for having been in that conversation; I was neither present nor involved in it. If you look higher in the thread you will see that it was another user's post to which I was referring.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:41 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

You confuse me for having been in that conversation; I was neither present nor involved in it. If you look higher in the thread you will see that it was another user's post to which I was referring.
yes I edited my previous post and apologized for that about the same time you were typing this. Sorry again
Old 01-08-2018, 11:25 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

That's good to hear! And, yes, I definitely would like to meet up with a group drive in the area before long
Me too! You guys put something together for a drive in the mountains. Before it gets warm enough that cyclists (of whom I am one ) are all over the mountains.

Cheers!
Old 01-08-2018, 02:56 PM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Received 535 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Me too! You guys put something together for a drive in the mountains. Before it gets warm enough that cyclists (of whom I am one ) are all over the mountains.

Cheers!

I’m up for it some time. We own a home on Lake Lanier near the outlet mall on 400. Can meet up there and head north or possibly drive over to AMP which is about ten miles away. They have karting avaiable most days.

Ben
Old 01-08-2018, 03:18 PM
bittrl1000
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A couple dozen of us ATL owners have a Facebook group called "Atlanta Porsche Sports Car Drivers". A group usually gets together about once a month for a few hour drive up in the mountains. Last month we drove to Blue Ridge for some barbecue. The month before, we got a tour of AMP and did some karting.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:02 PM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by bittrl1000
A couple dozen of us ATL owners have a Facebook group called "Atlanta Porsche Sports Car Drivers". A group usually gets together about once a month for a few hour drive up in the mountains. Last month we drove to Blue Ridge for some barbecue. The month before, we got a tour of AMP and did some karting.
Thanks for the comment. I'm gonna search for the group.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:57 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice move...great car. Enjoy!
Old 01-09-2018, 09:08 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Congrats! My car originated from Atlanta as well (good taste in cars out there ).

That S3 is beautiful as well. I would love one as a companion to the 911.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:12 AM
K-A
Drifting

Re: Removing film removing paint, aren't one of the chief selling points for these PPF's that they won't remove paint?

Anyone know what XPEL (for example) gives as a "shelf life" to a garaged car (I mean.... if a car barely gets sun, then scientifically the film should be able to last as long as the car itself).
Old 01-09-2018, 09:18 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Re: Removing film removing paint, aren't one of the chief selling points for these PPF's that they won't remove paint?

Anyone know what XPEL (for example) gives as a "shelf life" to a garaged car (I mean.... if a car barely gets sun, then scientifically the film should be able to last as long as the car itself).
The issue with PPF is the warranties are a HUGE PITA. (trust me, I went through this and Xpel only stepped up once the COO got involved.... the field manager was worthless in the process and only wanted to tout how many Porsches he's had) The challenge is not if the film can come off - it can. The caveat is the unknown about how it was installed and if the installer will warranty their work. My initial installer did sub par work and caused a lot f headache and delay in warrantying his work and therefore the film.... imagine a warranty claim years later and the complexity of getting anyone to warranty someone for the second owner.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:34 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by R_Rated
The issue with PPF is the warranties are a HUGE PITA. (trust me, I went through this and Xpel only stepped up once the COO got involved.... the field manager was worthless in the process and only wanted to tout how many Porsches he's had) The challenge is not if the film can come off - it can. The caveat is the unknown about how it was installed and if the installer will warranty their work. My initial installer did sub par work and caused a lot f headache and delay in warrantying his work and therefore the film.... imagine a warranty claim years later and the complexity of getting anyone to warranty someone for the second owner.
Eesh. Funny how our "safety measure" mods turn out to be nightmares of their own, eh? Lol.

I have no idea who installed mine, but it seems to be a good job (appears to use the precut XPEL stuff, which also fits flawlessly on the multitudes of places it's placed on my car). There's a slight nick or two on the wrap on the hood (didn't get to the paint, thankfully), some slight peeling around the edges after the wheels (not very noticeable), but considering these are plastic covers meant to protect paint, I'm not **** about them looking perfect (the OEM wrap on the rear haunches of our cars take quite a beating themselves) as I am with the actual paint.

I dunno. My car is garaged, and although the plan is to keep it a long time, I'm just gonna hope I never have to take any of the wrap off. Makes life easier.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:39 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Eesh. Funny how our "safety measure" mods turn out to be nightmares of their own, eh? Lol.

I have no idea who installed mine, but it seems to be a good job (appears to use the precut XPEL stuff, which also fits flawlessly on the multitudes of places it's placed on my car). There's a slight nick or two on the wrap on the hood (didn't get to the paint, thankfully), some slight peeling around the edges after the wheels (not very noticeable), but considering these are plastic covers meant to protect paint, I'm not **** about them looking perfect (the OEM wrap on the rear haunches of our cars take quite a beating themselves) as I am with the actual paint.

I dunno. My car is garaged, and although the plan is to keep it a long time, I'm just gonna hope I never have to take any of the wrap off. Makes life easier.
YMMV but my advice is to start by picking the smallest or worst section to have removed to check for potential damage. Also, if there is going to be damage by removing.... better to rip that bandaid off now since it won't get any better in the future.

Those factory sections in front of the rear wheel are a polite notion but I am sooooo glad I had that replaces and covered the whole hip!
Old 01-09-2018, 10:12 AM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by wareaglescott

Edit - my bad I confused you for an earlier post in the thread that was the actual person that had the conversation with the detailer. Rereading this I see you were just reacting to the post. Sorry
It was the lack of professionalism in the way he communicated it. I certainly appreciate anyone working on my car being up front with me, but when I explained one of the primary reasons I would pay a professional to uninstall is so that I don't risk messing up the car myself, his respone was borderline childish as if to make it clear he didn't want my business. I won't bother sharing our email exchanges, and I'm sure he does good work, but I've decided to stay away.
Originally Posted by K-A
Congrats! My car originated from Atlanta as well (good taste in cars out there ).

That S3 is beautiful as well. I would love one as a companion to the 911.
I saw your car on Butler's site last week!
Old 01-09-2018, 11:19 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by dkmesa

I saw your car on Butler's site last week!
Haha, not actually sure what Butler’s is.. but sounds cool?!

Quick Reply: First-Time Porsche Owner, Atlanta