Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting article about warranty and modifications

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 08:17 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Anyone know how third party warrantees handle this (if differently than OEM)?
Old 01-07-2018, 08:35 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Anyone know how third party warrantees handle this (if differently than OEM)?
The short answer is that it depends. There is a lot of fine print that varies by company and policy.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:54 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

Why would a dealership try to avoid warranty work? Because they don't have a tech that can do Job A in X hours. Remember that all of the work is outlined in a catalog along with the service hours allocated for the work (my Indie uses the same catalog (actually it's an online subscription) to estimate their work). I could easily see a smaller dealership not wanting to deal with experience based labor items like engine swaps.

As for the article itself, this is common knowledge but it is good to sperate facts from folklore. I had my manual transmission lock out even numbered gears while tracking at VIR. Limped the car home and directly to the dealership in odd numbered gears (still had my helmet and track gear in the car). I was worried they were going to make comments about the car being tracked, exact opposite, I got thumbs up comments. However, it took them close to 3 hours to determine that they would replace the transmission under warranty. I asked why it took so long and they responded by explaining a checklist they had to go through first, a very involved checklist. Since my car was clean they didn't even have to 'ask' PCNA (though they did notify them). I almost installed a Numeric Shifter earlier and asked what would had happened if I had, they said that this would have put me into a gray area that would require correspondence with PCNA and 'if' the warranty work were approved it would take weeks to get that approval.

Lesson to be learned - don't modify anything you aren't willing to pay for repairing yourself... until your CPO expires
Old 01-07-2018, 06:59 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,574 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
what's interesting about it?
I think it’s interesting to see a look at how detailed a manufacturer will get to instruct its technicians about how to check for signs of mods and what to do about it. We all know that those documents exist, but always good to understand exactly what they are saying. And how they go through the decision making process. iE an I take doesn’t automatically void your warranty.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:19 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

I think it’s interesting to see a look at how detailed a manufacturer will get to instruct its technicians about how to check for signs of mods and what to do about it. We all know that those documents exist, but always good to understand exactly what they are saying. And how they go through the decision making process. iE an I take doesn’t automatically void your warranty.
It depends upon the expense of the repair. If it's something expensive like a blown engine, a factory rep will be checking it out. OTOH there are some common problems that Porsche is aware of which will be repaired quickly.
About ten years ago I had a friend who did an ECU upgrade to his Audi TT. I believe it was provided by APR and it increased his HP to around 400. A few months after the installation, his engine blew. He thought that he would be safe by replacing the upgrade with the original ECU. Audi however refused the warranty since they were able to detect the change. He appealed but lost. Audi did compromise by providing all the parts at cost, but it still was a significant cost.

Quick Reply: Interesting article about warranty and modifications