Sponsored by:

Returning to a 911 after 15 years

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 09:12 PM
fishskis
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Returning to a 911 after 15 years

It has been about 15 years or so since I had my last 911. A manual 911 cabriolet. This was my fourth 911, all bought new. When I got rid of it, I was trying to be practical and a little more economical; I told myself I wanted more comfort and a real back seat. After my 911, I had a couple of Mercedes 4-seat convertibles and then became a loyal BMW fan, having various M3s and m4s and some 6's and one 5 - all convertibles except for the 5 (which I only kept for a year). A few times I flirted with going back to a 911, but it never happened; I didn't love the tiptronic, and I always felt that the M3 was a better value, with a back seat, and more practical and less flashy. But I never really got 911s out of my mind.

Finally, after about 15 years, I am returning to Porsche. My 911 C2 arrives in the next couple of weeks. I realized that I almost never use my back seats. I also stopped trying to justify the practicality of the purchase, or its economic rationality, and just admit that this is what I want, and I can afford it. Having a health scare ( I am fine now) also changed my perspective a bit. There are a few things that make me truly happy; one of them is driving in a great car though the canyons or in the mountains or by the ocean, on a windy road, with my top down, listening to my favorite music (or just listening to the engine). Sometimes it is best to follow your heart, and be true to yourself, even if it is not the most practical decision.

Now, on a pragmatic note...I am picking up the car in the next week or two; are there any things I should do/ get for my car immediately? Please note that I am almost definitely leasing, and though I might ultimately keep the car, I rarely have done so. Any thoughts on: Tire and Wheel insurance (I have 20" wheels), Protective Coating for the car, Lease Return Damage Insurance (Does Porsche even offer this?). I am planning on replacing the yellow side light covers with white ones, but other than that, I am not planning on anything else. In general, I am not going to mod this car, nor am I planning on tracking it.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:12 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Your story sounds like mine. I went the CLK Cab route, then BMW's (M3 / 330i / etc) and after surviving a Stage 4 cancer I went back to a 911, a new 2014 Porsche 991 S Cab. I basically said "Life is short (almost too short), so what if I can't really afford it, I'm getting it anyways". I've now had that car 4 years and love it, best Porsche ever (this is my fifth one). Yes, a BMW M series car can do 90% of what a 911 can do - but its not a Porsche and never will be. There is a joy in the mechanical symphony that comes from behind you, the unique Porsche exhaust tone (when modified with a proper exhaust) and the oneness with the car that BMW's just don't have. I predict you will love it. Not sure about the leasing, Porsche prices are holding up well, may cost less in the long run to buy it outright and finance, glad I did not lease mine as I still like it ! Wheel insurance depends on whether or not you can stay off the curbs, personally I never buy that protective coating stuff. They really don't need much in the way of mods, the car is pretty highly developed from the factory just as it is. Put gas in it and go have fun.

I snapped a photo of mine the other day. Even though the car is four years old, its still a good looking ride.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:40 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Great stories you both have on your journey back to the 911. Congrats to you both. Once you have had these cars they are hard to get out of your mind.

Fishskis
is I am on number 13 currently and if any of this helps I’m glad to share. I agree with drcollie I don’t sign up for any of the extras and on 13 Pcars I only had one wheel that I curbed and it cost $150 to fix. But to each his own on this decision.
I have modded (tuned and others) and on most did nothing but try to become a better driver. The more you know how to drive these cars the more of the car you get to experience and realize Porsche put plenty there to work with.
Bling is always good, clear side markers, interior bits, and if you want a little more howl an after market exhaust always is a winner. I had the Kline Iconel on my last 4S which was awesome and I have a Europipe on my TTS.
Good luck enjoy the car.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:58 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Congrats on your new purchase.

I had the front clip of my C4S protected in clear bra...... and after reading some post on here and driving my car 78K miles I would have protected the wheel arches and under the back bumper little more.

The only thing I might re-consider on my next purchase is wheel and tire coverage if it included refinishing for curbed wheels.

Can't wait to see some pic's when you pick up your whip.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:08 PM
fishskis
Advanced

Originally Posted by drcollie
Your story sounds like mine. I went the CLK Cab route, then BMW's (M3 / 330i / etc) and after surviving a Stage 4 cancer I went back to a 911, a new 2014 Porsche 991 S Cab. I basically said "Life is short (almost too short), so what if I can't really afford it, I'm getting it anyways". I've now had that car 4 years and love it, best Porsche ever (this is my fifth one). Yes, a BMW M series car can do 90% of what a 911 can do - but its not a Porsche and never will be. There is a joy in the mechanical symphony that comes from behind you, the unique Porsche exhaust tone (when modified with a proper exhaust) and the oneness with the car that BMW's just don't have. I predict you will love it. Not sure about the leasing, Porsche prices are holding up well, may cost less in the long run to buy it outright and finance, glad I did not lease mine as I still like it ! Wheel insurance depends on whether or not you can stay off the curbs, personally I never buy that protective coating stuff. They really don't need much in the way of mods, the car is pretty highly developed from the factory just as it is. Put gas in it and go have fun.

I snapped a photo of mine the other day. Even though the car is four years old, its still a good looking ride.

Clearly, you know exactly where I'm coming from. Very, very similar experiences, in life and with specific car models.

Regarding leasing; though it is a bit painful to lease this car, I think it makes the most sense for me. If I thought it was likely that I would be keeping the car, I would just buy it, or most likely finance some of it since rates are so low. However, my history has been to change cars every two years or so. But especially since this the last model year of the cycle, I think there is a good chance I will want the latest and greatest a couple of years from now. If I love the car, maybe I will end up keeping it, which I can always do of course.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:37 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by fishskis
Clearly, you know exactly where I'm coming from. Very, very similar experiences, in life and with specific car models.

Regarding leasing; though it is a bit painful to lease this car, I think it makes the most sense for me. If I thought it was likely that I would be keeping the car, I would just buy it, or most likely finance some of it since rates are so low. However, my history has been to change cars every two years or so. But especially since this the last model year of the cycle, I think there is a good chance I will want the latest and greatest a couple of years from now. If I love the car, maybe I will end up keeping it, which I can always do of course.
The only thing I would recommend is the PPF as the front of these cars do get hammered.....I regret not doing that on my black car which shows the chips very clearly! However, if you are leasing then it is not really your problem when you hand it back so you can skip it, unless the aesthetics would bother you.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:01 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Great story and thanks for posting it. Leasing is a great no-lose option from my perspective. I also tend to trade cars a lot, but once in awhile I have found one that I keep for awhile. My C2 is leased, but if the upcoming 992 doesn’t interest me, I’ll buy this one.

From what I have seen, I am doubtful I’ll prefer the 992.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:52 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

Awesome story welcome back! Took the M3 route for a few years too...hated the F-series and decided life is too short myself so get wha you really want.

Leasing may fit your needs but bring your own, or push your dealer on options - Porsche leases are very unattractive in MF and residuals in my experience.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:27 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by spiderv6
The only thing I would recommend is the PPF as the front of these cars do get hammered.....I regret not doing that on my black car which shows the chips very clearly! However, if you are leasing then it is not really your problem when you hand it back so you can skip it, unless the aesthetics would bother you.

Yes, agreed. But indecision about keeping the car is the issue. If even 50% likely, I say spend what it takes to cover at least the front bumper cap and the hood.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:00 PM
fishskis
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Great story and thanks for posting it. Leasing is a great no-lose option from my perspective. I also tend to trade cars a lot, but once in awhile I have found one that I keep for awhile. My C2 is leased, but if the upcoming 992 doesn’t interest me, I’ll buy this one.

From what I have seen, I am doubtful I’ll prefer the 992.
Agreed. Though I am keeping an open mind on the 992. Also, I got a color that I love, but I am a tiny bit concerned that I may get tired of it over time, Graphite Blue. We'll see.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:03 PM
fishskis
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chris C.
Awesome story welcome back! Took the M3 route for a few years too...hated the F-series and decided life is too short myself so get wha you really want.

Leasing may fit your needs but bring your own, or push your dealer on options - Porsche leases are very unattractive in MF and residuals in my experience.
Actually the residual on the C2 is not so bad: 62% for 36 months, 10k miles. The MF is definitely worse than BMW or Mercedes, but not crazy bad.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:27 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by fishskis
Agreed. Though I am keeping an open mind on the 992. Also, I got a color that I love, but I am a tiny bit concerned that I may get tired of it over time, Graphite Blue. We'll see.
The graphic blue is awesome. I like how it changes colors with different lighting.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:15 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy

The graphic blue is awesome. I like how it changes colors with different lighting.
I agree! I am a sucker for colors that change in the light. It's a very cool looking color!

Quick Reply: Returning to a 911 after 15 years