Received 3,874 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by tse
The internet is a wondrous place.
And full of know-nothings....
Old 01-04-2018, 11:35 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Options are like........, everyone has one.

But a $100K+ car and folks wont protect their investment with a set of capable tires for the conditions they drive is just crazy.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:25 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by spiderv6
No they don't. That's a ridiculous statement to make. There must be a dozen recent threads on this topic if you search.
Of course they do. Your'e telling me you can't drive a 911 with Super sports on clear roads in 15 degree weather ? If you think the car will have no traction you have no idea what you are talking about. The car and tires will run just fine. Drive the speed limit and all is good. If you live in Ontario, yeah get winter tires, the guy lives in Georgia. There's no need.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:29 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S

But a $100K+ car and folks wont protect their investment with a set of capable tires for the conditions they drive is just crazy.

That argument is thrown around all the time. Same deal with tracking and safety, everyone has a different tolerance level and realization phase. With that logic every on track needs to be in a halo seat, full cage, fire suppression etc... Guys in jeans, 3 pt belts are going to die an imminent death and are nuts and value there life at nothing.

How about some original content.....
Old 01-05-2018, 11:32 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S

It's not an investment. It's a car. With that logic, folks shouldn't track these cars.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:14 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series
Your'e telling me you can't drive a 911 with Super sports on clear roads in 15 degree weather ?
Oh you can drive, of course, but your stopping capability will be significantly degraded. As will your traction.

If you think the car will have no traction you have no idea what you are talking about.
This is funny now.

If you live in Ontario, yeah get winter tires, the guy lives in Georgia. There's no need.
Wait. So now you think you DO need winter tires in cold climates??
​​​​​​​
Old 01-05-2018, 12:20 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Oh you can drive, of course, but your stopping capability will be significantly degraded. As will your traction.

This is funny now.

Wait. So now you think you DO need winter tires in cold climates??
Yes, if you daily the car in cold weather you need winter or all-seasons. My initial response was to the OP who is asking about winter tires in Georgia where the weather dipped below freezing but is generally in the 50's in the winter.
You can drive and stop just fine with summer tires in the cold. It's not optimal but doable. Same deal with all-seasons in snow, they work but it's not optimal. My responses are for winter tires in Georgia, not winter tires in general. Read the thread.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:23 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,117 Likes on 666 Posts

Can you run summer tires in cold climate? Yes you can, but not advisable. Summer tires are meant to be run in the summer. Running them in cold weather reduces their stopping power and traction. Why take the chance of endangering yourself and others.

Can you survive a 30 foot drop? Yes you can, but not advisable.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:29 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Can you run summer tires in cold climate? Yes you can, but not advisable. Summer tires are meant to be run in the summer. Running them in cold weather reduces their stopping power and traction. Why take the chance of endangering yourself and others.

Can you survive a 30 foot drop? Yes you can, but not advisable.
Read the thread: This is the question:"Live in GA, currently pretty cold here at the moment - highs in the upper 30's F, but next week getting back to highs around 50. Thinking about getting my first 991.2 but clueless about tires. Is it possible to only keep one set of tires all year round and still use the full potential of the car? Switching back and forth from winter to summer tires sounds like a bit of trouble, given that 4 tires won't even fit in the car ( or will they?). Tks"

My answer, yes you can run summer tires in the winter where winter is typically in the upper 40's 50's 60's. When the weather dips to 30's for a day or two you can still drive the car with summer tires, they don't become unusable.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:05 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

I read your answer:

Summer tires work fine in weather below 30 degrees. Yes, I know the recommendation and warnings.
It's good that you now recognize that's not the case, and that we can all agree they don't work.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:08 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Yes, if you daily the car in cold weather you need winter or all-seasons. My initial response was to the OP who is asking about winter tires in Georgia where the weather dipped below freezing but is generally in the 50's in the winter.
I agree, buying a winter set in a typically warm location is not really needed. Just don't drive on cold days as the tires don't work in cold temps.

You can drive and stop just fine with summer tires in the cold. It's not optimal but doable.
I agree, you will stop. Eventually.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:25 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm one of the lunatics who drives summer tires all year round in Atlanta. I would love a set of winter tires but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. When do you need winter tires? My research says when your commute is regularly below 45 degrees. That's not a given in Atlanta during winter months. When it does get down there it usually doesn't stay for too long. Average high temp for Dec.-Feb is about 51 degrees so it is right around the threshold. If you are in Atlanta the answer is probably "it depends". For me who doesn't hit the interstate commuting and maxes out at 45 mph on surface streets, your braking and wiggle are not diminished materially. You want to know what diminishes braking and wiggle more? Driving in the rain, even at summer temps...don't see anyone upset about doing that here. I have plenty of experience with panic stops in both conditions and I get more ABS action on the latter. If you want higher speeds or are on twisty roads, maybe get those winter tires.

Okay, fire away
Old 01-05-2018, 05:00 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,197 Likes on 723 Posts

There are plenty of folks that drive in 3 in of snow with bald no-season tires and most get by
This is the comment I find most interesting...
Old 01-05-2018, 05:19 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by kage65
Do you guys switch out the tires yourself? If so, you are not concerned about the alignment when doing it yourself?

Or do you have a shop do it? If so how do you get the 4 tires there and the others back? Tks
Porsche of the Main Line does mine, they swap out the tires and store the others. They charge a fee but for me it is worth it.
Eric
Old 01-05-2018, 05:48 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

I agree, buying a winter set in a typically warm location is not really needed. Just don't drive on cold days as the tires don't work in cold temps.

I agree, you will stop. Eventually.
You'll have to define "don't work". I have no hesitations driving a 911 with summer tires in 27 degree weather on clear roads a couple times a year.

Quick Reply: which tires for the winter?