Sponsored by:

991.1 Battery Replacement DIY

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 11:37 PM
drive95
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by kilster
I thought most folks had their *** working without having to enter the new battery info. I am leaning towards antigravity.
My *** did begin functioning again on its own accord. Refer to my above post for other thoughts on the subject.

PS - sometimes acronyms just aren't a great idea 😜
Old 03-21-2019, 10:28 PM
nwjade
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an unsettling experience and wonder if this is normal or what? I have a CTEK 7002 plugged into to my garaged 991.2 with the eyelet pigtails (+ to the positive on the battery and - to the ground point on the car) I got in the car, turned on the ignition (without starting it) with the CTEK still hooked up and turned on. The electronics of the car went crazy: dash lights and headlights flashing on and off, sports chrono and stereo going on and off etc. I turned the key off right away got out of car, disconnected the charger got back in the car turned on the ignition and everything seems ok with the exception of having to reset the driver's side window position setting. In checking out the charger to reconnect it I found that the inline 15A fuse had blown so I replaced that and hooked it back up. I thought I could get in the car and use the electronics while the charger was still connected but evidently not. The battery was fully charged. Wondering why the electronics were trying to draw +15A from the charger resulting in a blown fuse? The CTEK manual doesn't mention anything against doing this. Is this a no no? Anyone else have this happen? I know I'll be avoiding doing this again in the future.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:16 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by orclean1
Pep boy is selling Champion AGM for our 911's at a 25% till 3/31/2019, cost 148.00 , Champion is made by one of the three manufacturers
. 48 month warranty to boot
They also sell a Bosch AGM as well in the same size. Originally $195 with the same 25% and BOTH the Bosch and Champion have $40 mail in rebates. I bought the Bosch today and net cost will be $115. Must be purchased before 3/31/19 for the rebate though so hurry!
Old 03-21-2019, 11:46 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by nwjade
I had an unsettling experience and wonder if this is normal or what? I have a CTEK 7002 plugged into to my garaged 991.2 with the eyelet pigtails (+ to the positive on the battery and - to the ground point on the car) I got in the car, turned on the ignition (without starting it) with the CTEK still hooked up and turned on. The electronics of the car went crazy: dash lights and headlights flashing on and off, sports chrono and stereo going on and off etc. I turned the key off right away got out of car, disconnected the charger got back in the car turned on the ignition and everything seems ok with the exception of having to reset the driver's side window position setting. In checking out the charger to reconnect it I found that the inline 15A fuse had blown so I replaced that and hooked it back up. I thought I could get in the car and use the electronics while the charger was still connected but evidently not. The battery was fully charged. Wondering why the electronics were trying to draw +15A from the charger resulting in a blown fuse? The CTEK manual doesn't mention anything against doing this. Is this a no no? Anyone else have this happen? I know I'll be avoiding doing this again in the future.
I also have a CTEK 7002 and I have never experienced what you did. Both your battery and charger are connected in parallel and since the 15 amp inline fuse blew it leads me to believe you may have a loose or dirty connection on one or both of your battery terminals which could have caused a temporary open condition causing a current surge on your battery tender resulting in a blown 15 amp fuse. The flashing lights and horn in my opinion were also an effect caused by a temporary open condition.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:51 AM
Cajun Martyni
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by AWay
They also sell a Bosch AGM as well in the same size. Originally $195 with the same 25% and BOTH the Bosch and Champion have $40 mail in rebates. I bought the Bosch today and net cost will be $115. Must be purchased before 3/31/19 for the rebate though so hurry!
Going to stop at Pep Boys to pick one up today. Is there a consensus on whether it’s best to get the Bosch or Champion, if both are available?
Any particular size or type to get, other than what’s specified in their materials at the store?
If I keep the charger plugged in while changing the battery will I need to program anything afterwards, or not, or does it vary by individual vehicle?

Thanks
Old 03-22-2019, 12:21 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cajun Martyni

Going to stop at Pep Boys to pick one up today. Is there a consensus on whether it’s best to get the Bosch or Champion, if both are available?
Any particular size or type to get, other than what’s specified in their materials at the store?
If I keep the charger plugged in while changing the battery will I need to program anything afterwards, or not, or does it vary by individual vehicle?

Thanks

Both the Champion and Bosch are made by Exide as far I could tell. Take your pick. Link to the Bosch AGM: https://www.pepboys.com/bosch-premiu...OHC?quantity=1
Old 03-22-2019, 02:26 PM
nwjade
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7

I also have a CTEK 7002 and I have never experienced what you did. Both your battery and charger are connected in parallel and since the 15 amp inline fuse blew it leads me to believe you may have a loose or dirty connection on one or both of your battery terminals which could have caused a temporary open condition causing a current surge on your battery tender resulting in a blown 15 amp fuse. The flashing lights and horn in my opinion were also an effect caused by a temporary open condition.

I thought it was odd this happening. The car is almost new and in checking the battery terminal connections they're both tight. I wish I knew what the issue is... I guess I'll just not have the battery tender connected when I turn the ignition on until I can have the dealer check it out.Thanks for the reply!
Old 03-22-2019, 02:51 PM
JC68
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by nwjade
my CTEK eyelet cable is not long enough to spread between the positive battery terminal and car ground point, so I connect to the negative terminal of the battery. CTEK gets really hot during bulk charging, have not encountered a blown fuse.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:47 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Sajan
As a follow-up, I haven't gotten a fix from icarsoft yet; i emailed them a log file.

In the meantime, I found my new mechanic for all things porsche in houston. Einar's garage in Seabrook. I took my car over there just to say hi and check out the shop. The tech connected the PIWIS II and asked me what I want to put in the battery change section. I put 95 ah, AMG, old porsche battery serial and 99961109510 as the part number. Old battery had 070 in the bolded part.

my other mechanic in houston said oh don't worry about! we change batteries and we don't do anything in the car. Einar's tech said it doesn't affect the car but it affects the life of the new battery. I highly doubt porsche would add this extra step to indicate battery capacity and type for no damn reason.

I noticed my voltage came dowe to 13.3V in normal mode after cars been running for a while and up to 14.5V in sport on the highway.

I might return the icarsoft since I have no use for it for a year, and it didn't do the battery thing like how i hoped it would.
For what it's worth, I had a Porsche tech tell me the same thing about battery longevity being affected if the battery isn't initialized.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:53 PM
kilster
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I relented. I was holding out the wide availability of antigravity coinciding with my annual service in June for PIWIS battery info entering. However, the deal at Pep Boys was too good to pass up. As a bonus, they are even taking care of the installation. While my battery tested out ok, it is 6+ years old and I consider this preventive maintenance.

Immediately after the change, the charging voltage dropped to low-to-mid 13 volts with *** () working again (just one time to see if it was working). With Sport on, 14.2-14.4 Volts. Everything seems to be working fine. The only thing was that I had to reset the driver side window with the 3-sec holds in the fully up/down positions despite having a power source connected through the fuse panel during the battery swap.

Last edited by kilster; 03-23-2019 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:53 PM
kilster
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Delete

Last edited by kilster; 03-23-2019 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:32 AM
orclean1
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Away , I purchased the pep boy Bosch battery yesterday , I could not file for rebate on line so I mailed it in , did you file yours on line ?
Old 03-29-2019, 09:37 AM
AWay
Rennlist Member

You can file online you just had to wait a day for the receipt to process in their system. I filed online and it’s already been processed and approved.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:08 PM
orclean1
Pro

yep it was accepted , enjoy the upcoming driving and racing season
Old 03-30-2019, 07:12 PM
orclean1
Pro

Installed Bosch battery in less then 45 minutes , thanks to the post listing required tools and directions !

Quick Reply: 991.1 Battery Replacement DIY