991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 Battery Replacement DIY

Old 12-31-2017, 08:16 PM
NF4710
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 115 Posts

Wish this DIY was around when I did mine with the same battery. Great job. Battery has been working well for me. Took car to dealer and they said they didn't need to program anything. So far so good but I will note my car is in the mid to high 14V when driving (granted I have been doing many short drives recently).

Cheers,
NF
Old 12-31-2017, 08:20 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 371 Likes on 238 Posts

I did mine a few months ago. My car was a 2012.5. It was still starting fine, but there was a slight delay. I did it just to be safe and I used a Bosch.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:33 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Great write up.

My 5 year old battery is pushing it's luck with these single digit temps.

Just remember with using an aux power source like a tender when changing batteries, the battery cables are "hot" so be aware not to ground out the positive cable to any metal.
The following 2 users liked this post by CSK 911 C4S:
Bupkus (09-11-2021), Jimmyk79 (02-03-2022)
Old 12-31-2017, 09:41 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 471 Likes on 297 Posts

I'm running a Braille I48ce in the GTS. Works great but a lithium based battery minder is recommended if the car has to sit for any period of time. I'm using the Ctek for lithium batteries.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:26 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

This battery, because of its weight (10 lb) , would be like adding appx 4.7 HP to the car mathematically vs that 58 lb battery. it does come at a price however:

​​​​​​https://www.braillebattery.com/index...atteries/i48ce

I've been running Lithium batteries in my motorcycles for several years now - they do last far longer and perform better than the OEM type batteries. I personally can't see installing a 58 lb battery at steering wheel height in a performance car, this will be my next upgrade when my original battery kicks.
The following users liked this post:
ddinham (10-10-2020)
Old 01-01-2018, 05:34 AM
daberlin
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 12 Posts

FYI folks, it's a DIY for ANY battery you install :-) Lots of other threads debate WHICH battery to buy. That said, I own a C4S. I was fine with an extra 10lbs over the front wheels; figured it actually might help with traction. I don't track the car, so I wasn't gonna lose sleep over the weight differential of the new battery vs. stock, but I took the weight measurements because like you, I was surprised at the size difference between the two. Took the car out tonight to Beverly Hills and it still felt (butt dyno) as wonderful as it always has blasting onto and off of freeways, and I'm sure it'll be fine in my occasional canyon carving exploits. I'm happy with my choice of battery. Cost + 90 additional CCA's over OEM + 4 year free replacement warranty were the best out there. I'm good.

Wishing you all a happy and healthy new year.

Last edited by daberlin; 01-01-2018 at 04:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by daberlin:
bms0918 (10-19-2021), George from MD (12-08-2022)
Old 01-01-2018, 11:02 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,114 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
This battery, because of its weight (10 lb) , would be like adding appx 4.7 HP to the car mathematically vs that 58 lb battery. it does come at a price however:

I've been running Lithium batteries in my motorcycles for several years now - they do last far longer and perform better than the OEM type batteries. I personally can't see installing a 58 lb battery at steering wheel height in a performance car, this will be my next upgrade when my original battery kicks.

Over $1600 for a battery? Plus you need a special lithium charger? That's nuts. Happy New Year.
The following 2 users liked this post by Porsche_nuts:
George from MD (12-08-2022), JHW911 (02-04-2023)
Old 01-01-2018, 12:14 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,135 Likes on 977 Posts

Thanks for the write up. Very well done. I assume the process and configuration is identical for my 981 Boxster? I will be doing that in the Spring.

Last edited by subshooter; 01-01-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:22 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie

the car was designed with a 47 lb battery in that location. Upping that to 58 is going to change next to nothing.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:18 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,387 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Very nice write-up. Thank you.

Does the tire pump and kit always need to be removed, or only when upsizing the battery?

How many CCA in the factory OE battery? How many CCA in the new upsize battery?
Old 01-01-2018, 04:05 PM
daberlin
Racer

Originally Posted by LexVan
Very nice write-up. Thank you.

Does the tire pump and kit always need to be removed, or only when upsizing the battery?

How many CCA in the factory OE battery? How many CCA in the new upsize battery?
Hi Lex. Happy New Year. Removing the tire pump box is not related to battery size. I suppose with a thin face or flex ratchet and some patience you could remove the two 13mm nuts that secure the bracket over the battery without removing the tire pump kit/box. There is a 'channel' (see in Photo #4) that could accommodate skipping this step. However, when I was assessing that option, I was concerned with dropping one or both 13mm nuts after loosening them and would have ended up having to remove that tire pump kit/box if that had happened. Far easier just removing it as part of the process. Two additional T20 screws and it lifts right out. Much easier access to that bracket once the tire pump box is removed.

My OEM battery is stamped 760A (CCAs). The new one I purchased has 850 CCAs.

Last edited by daberlin; 01-01-2018 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:11 PM
daberlin
Racer

Originally Posted by subshooter
Thanks for the write up. Very well done. I assume the process and configuration is identical for my 981 Boxster? I will be doing that in the Spring.
Exactly the same.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:13 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Nicely done write-up! I went with the same battery just a couple of weeks ago based upon prior suggestions by R-Rated and others.

The instructions you provided match right up with how I did it (and yes I disconnected negative first). I assume you'll respond to LexVan, but while I'm here I'll just call out that I couldn't see a way to get to the front bracket bolt without removing the tire kit. That was simple to do though.

Note that Batteries Plus offered a 10% discount for ordering online before going to the store for pickup... so assuming that is always in effect it's a quick $20 back in your pocket.

One thing you didn't mention that I ran into was I had to work a bit to wrestle the negative cable over to reach the new hookup position since the battery takes up the full tray the cable was apparently made just to be able to reach that position... at least mine was. When wrestling it over be careful not to make a connection with your hand between the negative battery terminal and the cable. Or wait to hook the positive until you have the negative poised in the right spot (but not hooked up). I'd recommend some good gloves just to be safe.

The capacity rating increases from 70 amps for the one I removed to 92 amps. I figured that was a plus since I've wired my Thinkware dashcam run in parking mode when I'm out away from home. I'll usually unplug it at home to reduce drain on the battery. The Thinkware has a built-in shutoff if the battery drops below a voltage you specify in its app and/or after parking mode has been active a certain amount of time. I set it for a 12.3 volt shutoff and 6 hours max but haven't found out how long that will let the camera run yet. The CCA number for the OEM was 740 and this Duracell is 850.

One last note is that posts have been saying that you are supposed to have the dealer do some sort of battery "reset" when you install a new battery. Apparently the car changes its charging behavior as the battery gets older so it will be healthier for the new battery if you do this.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:26 PM
daberlin
Racer

Originally Posted by StormRune
Nicely done write-up! I went with the same battery just a couple of weeks ago based upon prior suggestions by R-Rated and others.

The instructions you provided match right up with how I did it (and yes I disconnected negative first). I assume you'll respond to LexVan, but while I'm here I'll just call out that I couldn't see a way to get to the front bracket bolt without removing the tire kit. That was simple to do though.

Yes, agree.

Note that Batteries Plus offered a 10% discount for ordering online before going to the store for pickup... so assuming that is always in effect it's a quick $20 back in your pocket.

You are correct. My price out the door included that discount as well.

One thing you didn't mention that I ran into was I had to work a bit to wrestle the negative cable over to reach the new hookup position since the battery takes up the full tray the cable was apparently made just to be able to reach that position... at least mine was. When wrestling it over be careful not to make a connection with your hand between the negative battery terminal and the cable. Or wait to hook the positive until you have the negative poised in the right spot (but not hooked up). I'd recommend some good gloves just to be safe.

Maybe I got lucky. Had no issue lining up either POS or NEG cable with the Duracell.

The capacity rating increases from 70 amps for the one I removed to 92 amps. I figured that was a plus since I've wired my Thinkware dashcam run in parking mode when I'm out away from home. I'll usually unplug it at home to reduce drain on the battery. The Thinkware has a built-in shutoff if the battery drops below a voltage you specify in its app and/or after parking mode has been active a certain amount of time. I set it for a 12.3 volt shutoff and 6 hours max but haven't found out how long that will let the camera run yet. The CCA number for the OEM was 740 and this Duracell is 850.

740?

One last note is that posts have been saying that you are supposed to have the dealer do some sort of battery "reset" when you install a new battery. Apparently the car changes its charging behavior as the battery gets older so it will be healthier for the new battery if you do this.

I'm off work for the remainder of this week. I'll call my Porsche Service Tech and see what he says. Good tip.
Embedded

Last edited by daberlin; 01-01-2018 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:37 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

THX...Well written & easy to follow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991.1 Battery Replacement DIY