Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera T - MotorTrend Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 11:03 AM
rxtrom
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Obviously Porsche figured out a long time ago that there is not one single 911 for everyone but by having 22 different models of the 911 they made it a car suitable for all. Some of you would like to think that if given the money and opportunity that the 911 R or GT3RS is the perfect car but honestly if your car use does not coincide with what the model was designed for you will be quickly disappointed.

I like the concept of the T and I have one on order, hopefully it holds up to my expectations.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:41 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by rxtrom
Obviously Porsche figured out a long time ago that there is not one single 911 for everyone but by having 22 different models of the 911 they made it a car suitable for all. Some of you would like to think that if given the money and opportunity that the 911 R or GT3RS is the perfect car but honestly if your car use does not coincide with what the model was designed for you will be quickly disappointed.

I like the concept of the T and I have one on order, hopefully it holds up to my expectations.
PCCBS?
Old 01-01-2018, 11:42 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Motor Trend picked the Alpha Giulia as its car of the year. Apparently it found one that survived a road test. That says all I need to know about its judgement about anything automotive.
Well aside from allegedly poor reliability the Giulia Quadrifoglio is one of the best cars I've ever driven. Its only real foible I could see was that to have the quick steering, chases and loud exhaust it needs to be in race mode which disables stability entirely...and with 500-hp she's plenty frisky without the ESP especially in wet conditions.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:21 PM
rxtrom
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
PCCBS?

So far that is my plan. My build locks in April so I have some time. If an S brake upgrade or compelling aftermarket kit comes out I may change.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:29 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm having a tough time with the brake issue as well. Seems to me any Porsche worth its weight, or certainly one that potentially might command an ongoing High resale value, like the GT4, should have excess braking capacity.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:48 PM
FifthGear
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
I'm having a tough time with the brake issue as well. Seems to me any Porsche worth its weight, or certainly one that potentially might command an ongoing High resale value, like the GT4, should have excess braking capacity.
Yeah, but what you're looking for is usually more of a "brake pad choice" and regular bleeding than anything else. Other than on track, it's a bit of a fallacy that you need bigger brakes. The ones it has will stop the car. If it's an aesthetical thing, well then yes. I go back to Porsche removing the option to save everyone from themselves.

If we're talking on track, the biggest difference I've found is in the design, by permitting the rotor to expand and contract independently. You can warp a set of 997 rotors in a single 2-day PCA event, whereas the 991 rotors just keep on going. No effect on the street though.

Old 01-01-2018, 04:30 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Seems like a lot of press is coming out now following the event in Monaco that Porsche hosted. Pretty exciting, I like each car for different reasons.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:37 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by rxtrom

Well I would never be disappointed with a R. Truly it probably is the Ultimate 911. Track capable enough to take or hold with any 911 that carries a license plate. And it can easily be a street car with any 911or any others.

The T, while a good car, is not remotely the everyman R that I was looking for. But for folks getting one absolutely enjoy your T ^^.

I may be one of the only long time Porsche owners that never owns a 911 ( having had 951s, Caymans, and Cayennes). As much as I like Porsche the R might have been my Swan Song. For me I'm not likely to get a 4 cylinder anything and there is no R in my future . . but I will at least look at the T when one passes through the dealer. But not for 125 - at least not for me.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:16 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
No . The 718 is Porsche's first mid engine turbo. It also happens to be a 4 . This is uncharted territory for this vehicle.. The new 911 is a flat 6 turbo of which Porsche has had years of experience perfecting the rear engine turbo . This is apples to oranges . That's not to say the Cayman is a bad car . It's just in its infancy phase with the engine and with that comes more room to grow.
There are plenty of CPO F6 options out there. You don't HAVE to buy a new one.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:27 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
There are plenty of CPO F6 options out there. You don't HAVE to buy a new one.

That is very true as it pertains to the Caymans.

It's just that none of them (Caymans) are in the color that I want.

I specifically got the last of the F6's - and then of course my new car got flooded down here. Sigh.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:39 AM
Jzips
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

One of these spec’ed with PCCB and the LWB seats would be a sick car. Add a tune and you’ve got a very special beast.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:49 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

This car really has me torn between it and the new spyder
Old 01-02-2018, 09:30 AM
russdc
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 51 Posts

My thoughts exactly. Still went ahead with the order for April delivery.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:27 AM
Closertotruth
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Given the different engine positions and the possibility of Spyder still being NA, won't they drive very differently?
Old 01-02-2018, 04:23 PM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Closertotruth
Given the different engine positions and the possibility of Spyder still being NA, won't they drive very differently?
This is precisely why I am torn. I miss the 911 rear engine dynamics but not 100% fond of the turbo motor. While the 982 spyder with the supposed detuned 4.0 ticks the motor box but the mid engine layout doesn't tick the rear engine box.

Quick Reply: Carrera T - MotorTrend Review