Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nick Murray Porsche negotiation

Old 12-29-2017, 12:29 AM
ducstar
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Nick Murray Porsche negotiation

Has anyone successfully purchased/ordered a new P car with a signification percentage discount as described by Nick?

I'm about to start connecting with dealerships. My plan is to send out offer letters for my configuration.

I have time on my side. My own financing, and a significant cash down ready.

thoughts?
Old 12-29-2017, 12:42 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You have all the weapons, go to war. I just purchased a brand new '17 GTS. Sticker 150k MSRP. Got 10% off and purchased it at $135. I still feel like I overpaid but I'm very happy with the price. I had to shop nationwide for this deal but it was the color I wanted with all my must have options.I had dealerships asking me if I was crazy, flat out ignoring me, and a bunch of NO'S. Also had a couple smug salesman trying their best(WEAK) attempt at making a point. Just moved on.

I must admit I got sick and tired of looking at one point because it was consuming so much time, I'm just happy it all worked out. When I finally made this deal and wanted to push for those last few thousand dollars off I ended up ditching the salesman and called the sales manager directly. Told him I was really serious about the car and wouldn't waste his time by contacting him directly. Salesman held his ground at final price of $138,500. I told the sales manager my real no BS price was $134,750 and if he agreed I'd slap down a deposit right then and there on the phone. He got quiet for a long while, sighed loudly and said "Okay let me at least make 400 bucks on the car.. How about $135,800?". I told him to hang on a minute.. Put that **** on mute and wondered if I should continue to punish him... Giggled to myself I bit and decided I was happy with the price. Picked the phone back up and made my deposit.

Lived happily ever after.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:50 AM
CombatChuk
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 11 Posts

If you're willing to take one off the lot (especially a 2017) you should be getting close to a 10-12% discount...

I have a 991.2 GTS on order, it was like getting blood from a rock to get the 4% discount I ended up with. The allocations for 911s are so tight that if you even get an allocation, most dealers are only willing to give you 1-2% off.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:20 AM
Loft23
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a car broker to purchase mine. roadster.com if you live in California. My fee to the broker was only $272 but I never have to deal with anyone at the dealership. Got me 6% on a 2018 custom order. The broker gets 1% from the dealership. Win-win. Max I was able to get on my own was 3% but then they try to make up the money elsewhere. From delivery to signing the contract, it took me all of 15 minutes. I could have gotten the same deal for a GTS as the dealer and broker offered the same deal, but I didn't want to spend the extra money for power I won't really notice or need.

I too had my own financing ready and significant down payment, but the broker was able to give me options to get me buyers rate on the money factor if I were to lease, better than what any salesperson was able to quote me. My own financing was 2% APR and the dealership were offering 5% for tier 1 credit. As soon as I mentioned and gave the approval letter, they were able to get me 3% all of the sudden and told me it would only be $40 more per month. Dealers are such scams that I refuse to deal with them on my own. They sell you rates at 5% and then sell the loan to another bank for 2% and profit the additional 3%. I eliminated all this hassle by working with the broker who had relationship with dealerships up and down the west coast.

I'm sure he could have gotten me 10-12% off on vehicles on the lot.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:35 AM
Terrence
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

The problem is, when you buy a car off the lot, you are most likely compromising on color, interior color, options, or a combination of some or all of,them. You will end up paying for options you don’t want which negate some of the discount you may have gotten. Also, the car is now officially one model year old, and when you sell it, it will be 8k to 10k less just because of that.
There is no free lunch.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:47 AM
ducstar
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrence
The problem is, when you buy a car off the lot, you are most likely compromising on color, interior color, options, or a combination of some or all of,them. You will end up paying for options you don’t want which negate some of the discount you may have gotten. Also, the car is now officially one model year old, and when you sell it, it will be 8k to 10k less just because of that.
There is no free lunch.
I hear ya on this. If there was a perfectly spec'd on the lot new or used for that matter P car, I would've snatched it up now.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:58 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 603 Likes on 247 Posts

It's the end of the 2017 year , This is the time where every unit sold benefits the dealership and there is not a better time to buy one off the lot than now . Markup is 11 percent and region does play a role in the price . Convenience plays a role . Don't cry if spending more than someone else .. just enjoy the car !!!
Old 12-29-2017, 08:24 AM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

Where you live has a lot to do with this too. I would just go straight to the sales manager of your local dealer(s) and explain what you’d like to do. I agree with everyone that your discounts will be higher for something off the lot, but then you’ll be compromising, and at this price point, you shouldn’t be compromising.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:07 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Dealerships lie cheat and steal

How much of a statement is it that we have to deal with 3rd parties because Porsche dealers are so dishonest. I wish I had gone with a broker even for a CPO due to Rosslyns dishonesty during our transaction. I wonder if the folks in Germany know or care ?

UOTE=Loft23;14697492]I used a car broker to purchase mine. roadster.com if you live in California. My fee to the broker was only $272 but I never have to deal with anyone at the dealership. Got me 6% on a 2018 custom order. The broker gets 1% from the dealership. Win-win. Max I was able to get on my own was 3% but then they try to make up the money elsewhere. From delivery to signing the contract, it took me all of 15 minutes. I could have gotten the same deal for a GTS as the dealer and broker offered the same deal, but I didn't want to spend the extra money for power I won't really notice or need.

I too had my own financing ready and significant down payment, but the broker was able to give me options to get me buyers rate on the money factor if I were to lease, better than what any salesperson was able to quote me. My own financing was 2% APR and the dealership were offering 5% for tier 1 credit. As soon as I mentioned and gave the approval letter, they were able to get me 3% all of the sudden and told me it would only be $40 more per month. Dealers are such scams that I refuse to deal with them on my own. They sell you rates at 5% and then sell the loan to another bank for 2% and profit the additional 3%. I eliminated all this hassle by working with the broker who had relationship with dealerships up and down the west coast.

I'm sure he could have gotten me 10-12% off on vehicles on the lot.[/QUOT
Old 12-29-2017, 09:12 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Nino
You have all the weapons, go to war.
I take a different approach. I settled on a deal that seemed fair to me, the salesman and the dealer. I also take dealer location, services and reputation into account. I have found establishing a good relationship beneficial down the line. "Go to war" - not so much.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:40 AM
Highyo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

life is too short to be a dick for a few grand
Old 12-29-2017, 09:50 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,115 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by Highyo

lol
Old 12-29-2017, 10:09 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 350 Likes on 208 Posts

I did this exactly one year ago. Go to Herb Chambers in Boston. You need not ask me how I know.

Says the guy who paid too much. Tell that to the dealership and see how you get treated.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:17 AM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Highyo
life is too short to be dicked for a few grand
​​​​*Fixed it for you*

Dealerships are in business to maximize their profits at your expense. A relationship? You may exchange pleasantries, cards, or Christmas cookies, with your brand ambassador. But it's the GM that ok's all transactions. And they have numbers to meet. Hence, the fairly high turnover.

"What's a few grand here and there?"
It all adds up. But you may be in the tax bracket that can just let it burn so nonchalantly. For that, I do wish i could be in your shoes. I understand the adage, "spend money to make money". But I don't feel it applies here.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:35 AM
Highyo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by George from MD
I did this exactly one year ago. Go to Herb Chambers in Boston. You need not ask me how I know.

Says the guy who paid too much. Tell that to the dealership and see how you get treated.
i just dont have the time or patience to mess around with trying to save a few grand. if thats really what you are trying to save maybe you can't afford the car in the first place?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nick Murray Porsche negotiation