Nick Murray Porsche negotiation

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 10:37 AM
Highyo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by chillindrdude
​​​​*Fixed it for you*

Dealerships are in business to maximize their profits at your expense. A relationship? You may exchange pleasantries, cards, or Christmas cookies, with your brand ambassador. But it's the GM that ok's all transactions. And they have numbers to meet. Hence, the fairly high turnover.

"What's a few grand here and there?"
It all adds up. But you may be in the tax bracket that can just let it burn so nonchalantly. For that, I do wish i could be in your shoes. I understand the adage, "spend money to make money". But I don't feel it applies here.
sure i would love a deal, but to do with this other guy did "giggling" at a dealer trying to make a little scratch, ah well. life is too short to be that way. i got a good lease on my car through a broker on coney island. when the time came i compared my residual vs the amount i see the cars trading at. i buy or give it back. if a few grand fall by the wayside what difference does it make to my mental health or financial picture. it doesnt add up unless you are buying and selling cars all over the place all the time.

like i said. life is too short to be a dick
Old 12-29-2017, 10:51 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by George from MD
I Says the guy who paid too much. Tell that to the dealership and see how you get treated.
I don't find a good relationship precludes a good deal. If you do that's a YOU problem.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:53 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Why would you equate bargaining for a good deal with being a dick?
Profit is not a dirty word but don't you value your money? Do you not negotiate real estate purchases or your salary?
Few grand buys me a nice vacation.
Hundred bucks, a nice dress shirt.
To each their own but I hate leaving money on any table especially a car dealership...

P.S. I'm tired of the darn kiwi and his nonsense, is he a good baker also?
Old 12-29-2017, 11:07 AM
Highyo
Pro

Originally Posted by Bemo
Why would you equate bargaining for a good deal with being a dick?
Profit is not a dirty word but don't you value your money? Do you not negotiate real estate purchases or your salary?
Few grand buys me a nice vacation.
Hundred bucks, a nice dress shirt.
To each their own but I hate leaving money on any table especially a car dealership...

P.S. I'm tired of the darn kiwi and his nonsense, is he a good baker also?
sorry, but did you read the comment about giggling over a guy trying to make a few hundred bucks over a car sale? believe the guy or not it seems to me that you have a price for a car, you are willing to pay it, or you are not. not sure why taking joy in squeezing someone's ***** for a car that 99% of the world can't afford. if its that important to you maybe try to not spend money on those nice dress shirts.. who spends hundred dollars on a dress shirt anyway? see how this goes? as for leaving money on the table. yeah well. we never really know how much we're leaving on the table do we? you wanna be a ball buster, more power to you. i aint got no time for it

btw few grand buys you a nice vacation? where?
Old 12-29-2017, 11:08 AM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Wanting to save a few grand and one's ability to afford a car can be mutually exclusive.

You sound like a pompous dick and must be fun at your champagne parties.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:08 AM
Highyo
Pro

Originally Posted by Gary JR
I don't find a good relationship precludes a good deal. If you do that's a YOU problem.
hear hear
Old 12-29-2017, 11:09 AM
Highyo
Pro

Originally Posted by chillindrdude
Wanting to save a few grand and one's ability to afford a car can be mutually exclusive.

You sound like a pompous dick and must be fun at your champagne parties.
and you sound like a money grubbing tight wad who is annoying.

which is worse

you have no idea how much you are saving. you think you do but you don't. what are porsches margins? any idea? you are operating under some crazy false pretenses but if you think you're saving a few grand, more power to you.

i think it's funny
Old 12-29-2017, 11:39 AM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
I take a different approach. I settled on a deal that seemed fair to me, the salesman and the dealer. I also take dealer location, services and reputation into account. I have found establishing a good relationship beneficial down the line. "Go to war" - not so much.
I do the same.

I find it comical that some are bragging about a 10% discount on any '17 that is about to be a year old in ~3 days. Your car will be worth about 5% ~ 8% less in a few days + the normal drive off depreciation.

You should at least get a 10% discount or more and most dealers would not even blink an eye at it. If you get major resistance they are probably just messing with you and laughing about it at the same time.

To that end I have NEVER found a car on the lot that was even close to what I would order. They are usually loaded up with $5K ~ $10K worth of junk I could care less about. If you find one that suits your needs, fantastic!, but I also believe that any '17 left on the lot (especially a GTS) is a strange combination, was a demo, or left behind for some other reason. Regardless it's been sitting around for 6 months most likely. (something I really don't like)

I usually just figure out a deal that satisfies me (trade-in, discount, etc) print out the options sheet, email it to a salesman I have had good past repor with and bingo....done deal. I have never been turned down on
any reasonable offer/discount and have had great experiences. To that end I have received tons of cool freebies, invites to closed events, bump to better loaners when needed (hardly ever), etc.

Could I have gotten some extra off?.....maybe, but who cares. I got exactly what I wanted, usually when I want it,....fresh from the factory with about 8 miles on it. That to me is worth a large percentage.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:41 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Figure out market value on what you want. Be willing to pay something in the market value range, but factor in your comfort and convienence and time into that decision. I rather pay a little more for a dealer I like that save a bit and have one shipped from a dealer I will never see.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:56 AM
Highyo
Pro

Originally Posted by evilfij
Figure out market value on what you want. Be willing to pay something in the market value range, but factor in your comfort and convienence and time into that decision. I rather pay a little more for a dealer I like that save a bit and have one shipped from a dealer I will never see.
this is the right attitude. thank you
Old 12-29-2017, 12:15 PM
NightBlue
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if you need to do excel spreadsheets like Nick. Do have an MSRP for your build on hand because that does make a difference. If you call around the prices will be fairly competitive. But its also important to find someone you think is honest and easy to work with. It's just business so definitely try to do the best you can but remember that the salesmen are people too. If you check my previous thread you will get some dealer suggestions as well as the name of the guy I went with.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:19 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Highyo
... if thats really what you are trying to save maybe you can't afford the car in the first place?
Now that's a statement from someone who has no problem being a dick.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:26 PM
Highyo
Pro

Originally Posted by KM1959
Now that's a statement from someone who has no problem being a dick.
i dont mind if you think that. just a matter of perception. i think if you are willing to belittle, call a guy a "****", giggle at the attempts he makes to secure a little money (especially because you probably make WAY more than he/she does) to save a few bucks makes you a bigger dick than me saying you may not be able to afford the car if you need to use those tactics

i don't know, just me. i don't hate

and btw if you are trying to model your purchasing habits on a guy who makes youtube videos with stuffed quoting gorillas who probably wears tube socks to bed, again, more power to you
Old 12-29-2017, 12:30 PM
scsuperfan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used his advice when ordering my 991.2 C2S abut a month ago. Turned out well for me, ended up with 8.5% off here in CA for an ordered car, which i was happy with.

Only bad part is now I have to wait a few months for the car to be built!
Old 12-29-2017, 12:41 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I only got 3% off my 2017 C2s, but I ordered it before they had hit the states as it was a new model. I think I ordered it in October 2015. Also it was my first Porsche. I don't have a huge drive to squeeze the best deal no matter what Count me in as another buyer who also was interested in buying from a nearby dealership although I contacted other dealerships by email. I know for a fact I could have gotten a better deal from a dealership much farther away, but in the end I passed. The net financial effect of not getting the best discount on all the vehicles I have purchased is negligible, and more than offset by the fun of getting a vehicle I really wanted sooner rather than later. I paid MSRP for a KTM adventure motorcycle this spring and now I could could easily buy one for a couple thousand less, but I rode the bike all summer and loved it. I took delivery of the 911 in May or June 2016 and shortly after that my wife and I did a drive down the Oregon coast to visit our kids in northern California and that trip alone was worth way more than any extra discount I may have gotten. I also think there is a big psychological aspect to the approach to buying a car that varies from person to person. Some feel, often rightly so, that the dealer is trying to cheat them. Others that negotiating a car deal is "going to war". I dunno. If the "war" is coming out ahead financially, then I won that war a long time ago without ever firing a shot So to each his own. If you got a huge discount on you 911 purchase then more power to you!

Quick Reply: Nick Murray Porsche negotiation