Sponsored by:

Nick Murray drops a new video on YouTube. Tuned .2 vs stock .2

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 10:54 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by NightBlue
I'm curious, since this is a software tune, can it be programmed to turn on/off depending on whether the manettino is in Normal, Sport, or Sport+ mode? That would be ideal for street driving.
Nope, just 1 setup for now. Just do not push the petal as hard if you dont want the extra power.....
Old 12-24-2017, 11:00 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

It almost sounds too good to be true. Why would you invest the extra dough to get an S or even GTS when it would be so easy to just crank up the boost on a base Carrera with these tunes? Talk of tuning cars always reminds me of way back when I was in high school, in a friend's garage where we would do such cunning tricks as turning the top of an air cleaner cover over, or draining the platinum beads out of our catalytic converters to increases performance. My friend's dad walked in and said to us something like 'do you guys really think you can do a better job than the engineers that built this car?' Funny how the technology is different but the goals remain the same.

Jim
Old 12-24-2017, 11:11 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Can I ask what people intend to do with all that extra power? Or why it's even desired?

I can't recall the last time I got behind the wheel of a 911 (991 GT3, 997 GT3 RS, 991 TTS, 991.2 C2, 991.1 C4S etc.) and thought to myself, "****, I wish this thing had more power, if only ..."

Is the chassis of the cars (suspension, etc.) setup to even take advantage of an additional 50-100 hp?

This reminds me of all those Nissan GT-R Frankenmonsters cranking out 1500 hp at the crank, with drivers struggling to point that thing in a straight line with just the lightest touch of the throttle.
Come on...
Old 12-24-2017, 11:13 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
On the GTS, those numbers would give a turbo a run for its money. Porsche may be cannibalizing turbo sales if one can pick up a GTS (for $35K less than a turbo) and for $2K get similar performance...

Sure. Then the guy with the Turbo spends a similar amount with similar gains. It's an arms race and whoever has the most cubic dollars wins. Always.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:31 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 618 Likes on 249 Posts

I have a modded 911 Turbo and I would not tune the .2 car . I also have a .2 GTS which will remain stock .

These base, S and GTS cars are not drag racers cars .They are meant to in some way mimic an NA car yet offer a interesting twist of the added torque which makes it such a great daily car but at the same time has just enough seamless acceleration to handle in many like an NA car but even faster .

Porsche made this new car and entered into a new domain . It is not a typical NA or Turbo . It's almost like a breed of its own and I love it just the way it is.

Last edited by yrralis1; 12-25-2017 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:11 AM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Not surprised by how this thread has shifted. Can we please just talk about the tune, it’s their car and they can do as they please with it.
The following users liked this post:
Bulldawgfan1000 (02-11-2021)
Old 12-25-2017, 12:15 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Can I ask what people intend to do with all that extra power? Or why it's even desired?

The base, S, and GTS are not drag racing , 1/4. or standing mile types of cars . I agree with you . They are daily driving 911 cars which can offer a heck of a lot of fun a the track too. As for creating a Hp monster .. I had hoped to enter the Texas Mile 10 years ago . Then I saw the amount of work and expense that went to to making such a car and at the same time I saw a few near wipe outs and i decided not to do it. I kept the car though .

I will also stay this .. straight line driving is vastly different type of skill orientation than carving through corners . Both take skill but are different . There is a certain excitement being pressed into ones seat so hard that his face smears though.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:17 AM
mikex25

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
It almost sounds too good to be true. Why would you invest the extra dough to get an S or even GTS when it would be so easy to just crank up the boost on a base Carrera with these tunes? Talk of tuning cars always reminds me of way back when I was in high school, in a friend's garage where we would do such cunning tricks as turning the top of an air cleaner cover over, or draining the platinum beads out of our catalytic converters to increases performance. My friend's dad walked in and said to us something like 'do you guys really think you can do a better job than the engineers that built this car?' Funny how the technology is different but the goals remain the same.

Jim
with regards if we can do a better job than the engineers who built this car. Porsche left a lot on the table because they plan to use the same engine for future models but with a different tune and tweaks on the motor. You can also say, do you think Porsche put in their best effort to produce the best exhaust note for the 991.2 engine? I would say not when a lot of aftermarket exhausts sounds way better.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:19 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mikex25
Not surprised by how this thread has shifted. Can we please just talk about the tune, it’s their car and they can do as they please with it.
GIAC can make a very nice tune . It will make the car faster . It will likely eliminate CPO ability upon trade in . It will change the driving dynamics .
Nicks video does show that it can work . The question being raised is whether its a good choice . I wont do it to my GTS.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:23 AM
mikex25

Originally Posted by yrralis1
GIAC can make a very nice tune . It will make the car faster . It will likely eliminate CPO ability upon trade in . It will change the driving dynamics .
Nicks video does show that it can work . The question being raised is whether its a good choice . I wont do it to my GTS.
In my opinion, it is a great option for those who want more power. We are all car enthusiast and part of us are always looking to raise the bar on our cars.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:24 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mikex25

with regards if we can do a better job than the engineers who built this car. Porsche left a lot on the table because they plan to use the same engine for future models but with a different tune and tweaks on the motor. You can also say, do you think Porsche put in their best effort to produce the best exhaust note for the 991.2 engine? I would say not when a lot of aftermarket exhausts sounds way better.
Porsche has to be able to warranty it for 4 years 50K mi. They tweak it to the masses . They also dont want dentists and soccer moms crashing cars on public roads . In short .. they water it down enough and there's always someone who wants more.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:28 AM
mikex25

Originally Posted by yrralis1
Porsche has to be able to warranty it for 4 years 50K mi. They tweak it to the masses . They also dont want dentists and soccer moms crashing cars on public roads . In short .. they water it down enough and there's always someone who wants more.
Exactly the word I was looking for. Porsche definitely waters it down and a lot of is is cost cutting. Reason why some after market companies make a better product. Everyone can agree akrapovic makes a substantial better exhaust system than Porsche does, they even use them for the stock GT2 RS exhaust. So to answer that above question, yes people can do a better job than Porsche engineers.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:29 AM
phx991
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
impressive numbers
I can't think of a reason not to do it
https://www.sonnenporscheoemparts.co...bC1oNi1nYXM%3D
Old 12-25-2017, 01:28 AM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

Impressive hp and performance. I just looked at the GIAC website and the numbers they’re quoting are made on 98 ron fuel. Outside of a race track, where does one get 98 ron fuel?
Old 12-25-2017, 01:46 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

^ You're not breaking anything with 4 additional pounds of boost

This thread is filled with old fart COPE.

Quick Reply: Nick Murray drops a new video on YouTube. Tuned .2 vs stock .2