Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nick Murray drops a new video on YouTube. Tuned .2 vs stock .2

Old 12-25-2017, 01:48 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ski Porsche
Impressive hp and performance. I just looked at the GIAC website and the numbers they’re quoting are made on 98 ron fuel. Outside of a race track, where does one get 98 ron fuel?
That translates into 93 octane.

95 ron translates to 91 octane.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:19 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I really love my 996 Turbo but I'm pretty sure a 2017 991.2 base or lightly optioned S will be my next 911. Off 2-year lease cars should start hitting resale in another few months...

Hopefully everyone will still be bitching and moaning about how Porsche ruined the 911 by putting turbo engines in the 991.2 and they will be selling at great prices. ;-)

And oh yes... It will have a tune.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:32 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

No surprise. Great for the guys wanting to go this direction!

Could the tuned RWD GTS be compared to the GT2RS in a similar manner to the Carrera T being compared to the GT3? Clearly different, but perhaps in the same vein for some?
Old 12-25-2017, 09:58 AM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37
No surprise. Great for the guys wanting to go this direction!

Could the tuned RWD GTS be compared to the GT2RS in a similar manner to the Carrera T being compared to the GT3? Clearly different, but perhaps in the same vein for some?

Of course it will be .... This is the amazing and extremely boring world of turbocharged engines where tuning potential blurrs the lines between model variants ....
Old 12-25-2017, 10:21 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,139 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
Porsche has to be able to warranty it for 4 years 50K mi. They tweak it to the masses . They also dont want dentists and soccer moms crashing cars on public roads . In short .. they water it down enough and there's always someone who wants more.
Don't forget that the 9A2 engine will be the same engine in the 992.1 and 992.2 so the Base 991.2 engine is very detuned to allow room for future growth in power. I am guessing about a 30hp gain for each model in the 992.1 and another 30hp gain for the 992.2.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:09 AM
2001f4s
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been seriously considering the GIAC Tune on my BASE CPO Carrera. But like others, I am concerned about the warranty. Champion, another GIAC Retailer claims some type of Warranty "Gap" if the dealer fails to honor a warranty on a claim. However no Champion dealers in Chicago area. So I have chosen to wait for GIAC or someone else to come out with an OBD tunable solution, but as I have learned the tuners have just recently cracked the ECU coding, and OBD based tuning seems to be a few months out. With an OBD option, you could set the car back to stock when taking the car to the dealer. I had something similar on my BMW 335i, and it was a breeze, using an Android phone to tune.

With the current GIAC option the ECU has to come out of the car to be tuned (not too involved), but if you want to de-tune, say for a dealer visit, or re-tune because the dealer reset the ECU, you need to send the brain back to GIAC for a retune. Apparently the re-tune is free from GIAC, but the you pay for labor for the retune, as well as the inconvenience.

From what I have learned these tunes are just emerging, and while GIAC is very reputable, it sounds like OBD based tunes are just around the corner, and I am choosing to wait for that. My car is still in break-in too, so probably good to wait until it is at least above 2K miles anyway.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:23 PM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001f4s
I have been seriously considering the GIAC Tune on my BASE CPO Carrera. But like others, I am concerned about the warranty. Champion, another GIAC Retailer claims some type of Warranty "Gap" if the dealer fails to honor a warranty on a claim. However no Champion dealers in Chicago area. So I have chosen to wait for GIAC or someone else to come out with an OBD tunable solution, but as I have learned the tuners have just recently cracked the ECU coding, and OBD based tuning seems to be a few months out. With an OBD option, you could set the car back to stock when taking the car to the dealer. I had something similar on my BMW 335i, and it was a breeze, using an Android phone to tune.

With the current GIAC option the ECU has to come out of the car to be tuned (not too involved), but if you want to de-tune, say for a dealer visit, or re-tune because the dealer reset the ECU, you need to send the brain back to GIAC for a retune. Apparently the re-tune is free from GIAC, but the you pay for labor for the retune, as well as the inconvenience.

From what I have learned these tunes are just emerging, and while GIAC is very reputable, it sounds like OBD based tunes are just around the corner, and I am choosing to wait for that. My car is still in break-in too, so probably good to wait until it is at least above 2K miles anyway.
where did you hear they finally broke the coding that allows OBD tuning? It took tuners forever to do that for the FX8 generation M3/4. They only released that option a few weeks ago, which leads me to believe it is a difficult process.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:34 PM
2001f4s
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mikex25

where did you hear they finally broke the coding that allows OBD tuning? It took tuners forever to do that for the FX8 generation M3/4. They only released that option a few weeks ago, which leads me to believe it is a difficult process.
No indication that OBD tuning has been cracked. I mentioned that it was "around the corner".

You can check this out from BoostAddict, might give some insight: http://www.****************/content.p...ents-the-issue
Old 12-25-2017, 04:58 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Very impressive. I'm surprised a tune doesn't void the Porsche factory warranty.
Old 12-25-2017, 06:36 PM
N2B8TOR
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

A compelling reason to get the AWD instead of the RWD. I would imagine the extra hp on a RWD might not be as useful. But wow that's some serious power gain with what looks like reasonable traction.
Old 12-25-2017, 06:38 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraFahrer
Very impressive. I'm surprised a tune doesn't void the Porsche factory warranty.
That’s inconclusive. The dealer can tell you one thing, but when it comes down to warranty claims Porsche is the decider. I don’t think a mild tune is a cause for much concern vis-a-vis durability, however I’m reluctant to give Porsche a reason to deny warranty work. I’ll wait until the 4 years is up. 2.5 years to go and it will be like getting a new car at that point.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:09 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraFahrer
If you melt a piston or put a rod through the block and they know you modified the ecu software, you be sure they will not cover it. But warranties aren't really 'voided', only warranty claims potentially not covered if Porsche feels that that the damage was due to neglect or modification.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:23 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 603 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by blepski

Of course it will be .... This is the amazing and extremely boring world of turbocharged engines where tuning potential blurrs the lines between model variants ....
That's why I say its necessary to start with a Turbo S before tuning for straight line speed . And I'll follow that up by saying the Turbo S is the wrong 911 to do it with . PDK will be a roadblock to holding the pressure although I do see a few recent tuners attempt it . The 997..1 Turbo still holds the records . With its Gt1 engine it is a striong platforum to tune and swapping out the clutch can hold under load . I am at 750 Hp on mine and we threw out the stock clutch once we passed 600 before it went on its own . The stage 2 didnt hold . The stage 3 clutch can withstand it . It will climb over a 991 Turbo S despite being 10 years older .

These base, S and GTS cars are not meant for this . They are daily driving great handling 911 cars . They are not record breakers .
Old 12-25-2017, 07:31 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 603 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
If you melt a piston or put a rod through the block and they know you modified the ecu software, you be sure they will not cover it. But warranties aren't really 'voided', only warranty claims potentially not covered if Porsche feels that that the damage was due to neglect or modification.
Correct . If one tunes his car and his air conditioner breaks its covered . If he blows an engine or breaks an axle and its determined the tune was related then the owner is toast on the expense . The car can not be CPO'd so trade in is tough . Dealerships dont want the car . many buyers dont want the car either . They think the owner was a hot rod racer . Most want to buy a car from a mature driver that pampered the car .

That;s why when I see people talk about the pennies it costs to make a base car into an S they are not looking at the exit fee or repair risk exposure .

One last thing a modified car ought to be documented with ones insurance . a lot of guys do not do this and they need to.

Ultimately it;s the owners car . Porsche owns the warranty but Porsche does not own the owner.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:34 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Thats what I expected. As a guy who’s blown two motors on track in other cars I leave my engines stock while under warranty. If I owned a 991.2 I wouldn’t be tuning it if I was tracking it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nick Murray drops a new video on YouTube. Tuned .2 vs stock .2