Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody ship wheels? Cost Estimate?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 04:55 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

For reference, in October tire rack shipped my winter wheels and tire set for 991.2 GTS via UPS 2 day ground, CT to VT, for $173 total (4 separate "packages" , cardboard over wheels)
Old 12-22-2017, 08:55 PM
mrmojom3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StormRune
I just checked my records. I shipped 4 wheels in proper heavy-duty boxes from Austin TX to Carlsbad CA for a total of $141.44 back in April. I do get some discount for having an account with them through PayPal but it is just a personal-use account so the discounts are good but not dramatic. They were HRE monoblocks so they were a few pounds lighter than OEM wheels.

I did find that it was actually cheaper not to bundle them into two bigger strapped-together sets of two but to ship them as 4 separate boxes, at least in this case with UPS. I ran the pricing both ways. The UPS ground rate was the best I could find short of pallet-shipping with freight company, which just seemed like too much trouble for little additional savings.
Good info. What type of "boxes" did you use? Did you just pick up something at the local store? I saw a few noted to check with a tire store, but makes sense they dont use boxes anymore.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:35 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmojom3
Good info. What type of "boxes" did you use? Did you just pick up something at the local store? I saw a few noted to check with a tire store, but makes sense they dont use boxes anymore.
I used boxes and bubble wrap UHaul. They have a 24x24x20 box so there is a couple of inches of extra space for packing around the perimeter. I cut down the extra height of the box and used the extra cardboard along with some old Amazon box pieces as an extra layer of protection on the face of the wheels and possibly some around the perimeter as well (I forget exactly). As I recall I wrapped the wheels in a circle around the rim in bubble wrap and folded the edges down over the sides, holding it all together with some stretch plastic wrap (I love that stuff; available at UHaul too). I then used densely crumpled newspaper to make sure it all fit snugly in the box. I tend to over-engineer these things so all of that might not really be necessary but I'd rather err on the side of caution. Even if the boxes were dented somewhat I was reasonably comfortable the contents were protected.

BTW, when cutting down the box, a trick to get a good edge is indent a line fairly firmly where you want the bend to happen using a straight edge and something with a blunt edge (like the back of a kitchen knife). You don't want to cut the cardboard but indent it pretty strongly. If you don't it will be hard to bend it along a straight line.

Last edited by StormRune; 12-23-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:58 PM
mrmojom3
Racer

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
Shipnerd is the only way to go. I speak from experience.
What is the benefit of shipnerd? Looking at their site, looks like it allows to pre pay for shipping. Then its on you to drop off at the shipping location.

I was hoping their is a shipping co who would pick up at my house
Old 12-23-2017, 05:36 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

UPS and fedex will pick up. Just need a call tag or whatever it is called. Costs more

It was $250 to get my wheels and tires from the mid south to north east but that included supplies. Carboard on top and bottom and wrapped in plastic.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:46 AM
Mountain_Smith
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Check Greyhound as well. I shipped a winch bumper for a Range Rover from CA to NYC for a very reasonable price. Less than $200 if I recall, and that was for an oversized package right at their size limit. I suspect Tires & Wheels will be cheaper. A double layer of cardboard on the face and back, shrink wrap all around, and you'll be good to go.

http://www.shipgreyhound.com/
Old 12-25-2017, 12:22 PM
mrmojom3
Racer

Thanks all. Should I estimate about 45 lbs per wheel? I used the 24x18x24 box, with the wheels wrapped well.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:47 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

I don't have the numbers for mine, but I know they were far less than that... low-to-mid thirties. Do you have a bathroom scale at home you could use? Ours doesn't read that low, but for things like this I stand on the scale once with the box and once without and subtract the difference.

It's also safe to estimate low, I'd say low-to-mid thirties, the back wheels maybe three pounds more than the front. If they are more than you list when you buy the postage, UPS will still accept them but will then charge the additional amount to the credit card you've use once their equipment determines they are more. I've had this happen a couple of times. There was no penalty... just the difference was charged.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:19 PM
mrmojom3
Racer

Hi all, came back to update so hopefully this helps others out.

1. I used shipnerd. After paying, it chose UPS so I got to drop off at the local store. They were $250, just print off the label. Quite a bit cheaper than Fed Ex or UPS store drop off.

2. I used the tip on the 24x20x24 boxes. I also used the round cardboard covering both ends of the wheel. So a "double packing" to keep it safe

Wheels were 36 and 38 lbs

thanks for the tips!

Last edited by mrmojom3; 12-26-2017 at 07:20 PM. Reason: spelling
The following users liked this post:
Meatball964 (06-22-2019)
Old 12-26-2017, 10:22 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Find a friend with a business account, this will save you around 30-40% off the retail list price.

This in our experience is the best way to pack wheels, however if you don't have a band-strapping machine you can use duct tape.

Old 01-16-2018, 02:44 PM
ShipNerd
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for your feedback @991carreradriver!!

We've had many rennlisters use ShipNerd to to save on shipping -- Wheels included!!

Here's recent feedback posted by a fellow member in the classified forum that used our service:

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
FYI, I sold my 17" wheels with tires yesterday, used shipnerd to get them from Chicago to NJ and the cost for the four wheels shipped was $114.81!!!! Wow, that's cheap. I would of expected them to go for about $200-$225. So it works!

It's actually easier to use as compared to the UPS or FedEx site IMO.

They went out UPS, just dropped them off at the local UPS store. Oh so easy.

Thanks Ship Nerd! You aren't that nerdy in my book!

Here were the wheels, just put a cardboard face on them and dropped them off.

Here is my quote:

Link to entire thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...hip-rates.html

Also -- As @Wheel Dynamics indicated above, using cardboard is definitely a must as sometimes shipping companies charge additional fees for packages not encased in cardboard.

Last edited by ShipNerd; 01-17-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:55 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts

I'm looking at a shipment. After entering a bunch of info Shipnerd says, "ShipNerd does not offer shipping for packages this size" . I've seen wheels and seats shipped before. What's the magic size to get a quote? I'm looking at up to 48 inches max dimension and don't want to go through the whole detailed process of entering all the data just to get denied at the end...Just go Greyhound?
Old 11-19-2019, 02:02 PM
ShipNerd
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

@c didy - What are you trying to ship? ShipNerd obtains rates and transit times in real time, which means that when you enter product weights and dimensions into our platform we literally transmit them to the couriers we work with to get rates and transit time. If you're getting the message above, it means that none of our shipping partners offer rates for packages that size. 48" should be fine though... What are the weights and dims are you are putting in?

Steve
Old 11-19-2019, 02:47 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,130 Likes on 678 Posts

You can do Fastenal 3PL freight shipping. Stack them and strap them to a pallet. I've done it a few times.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:22 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by ShipNerd
@c didy - What are you trying to ship? ShipNerd obtains rates and transit times in real time, which means that when you enter product weights and dimensions into our platform we literally transmit them to the couriers we work with to get rates and transit time. If you're getting the message above, it means that none of our shipping partners offer rates for packages that size. 48" should be fine though... What are the weights and dims are you are putting in?

Steve

Thanks Steve.
Carpet pieces. 20 lbs. Max dim 47 inches.

Quick Reply: Anybody ship wheels? Cost Estimate?