991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do 991s go to “ sleep”?

Old 12-18-2017, 10:04 AM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Speaking of evidence to support ..... Without any documentation regarding the “ conservation” mode I remain skeptical that our cars do this at all .

If the car is left locked with the alarm armed what exactly is being turned off to conserve power ?

These cars are just like any other modern vehicle with a multitude of control modules that consume small amounts of power to retain settings etc .

Disconnecting the battery for a long period of time can potentially cause issues like I experienced on a 987 that lost its front control module settings and required re coding after winter storage ...

In the case of the older 996/997 models Porsche mitigated this by shutting down what appeared to be a body control module completely . It was obvious as the key fob would no longer function and if I can remember correctly neither did the interior lights until the ignition was turned on .

What obvious change occurs to the 991 when it’s in this conservation mode ?
Old 12-19-2017, 12:39 AM
GT325
Pro

Received 185 Likes on 103 Posts

The cars to go into conservation/battery saver mode at least both of my 991.1 have.

There is intelligent power management in the 991. If the car sits for somewhere around 7 to 10 days it automatically enters a battery protection mode battery/saver mode. The key fob does not work on my car which optioned without keyless entry/drive. You have to pull the door handle to "wake" the car then the fin works to unlock the door.

Upon first wake up start you get a nice message in the ancillary PCM dashboard screen in yellow notifying you that the car was in battery protection mode. This may help mitigate battery drain issues.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:29 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by deezmfnutz
The cars to go into conservation/battery saver mode at least both of my 991.1 have.

There is intelligent power management in the 991. If the car sits for somewhere around 7 to 10 days it automatically enters a battery protection mode battery/saver mode. The key fob does not work on my car which optioned without keyless entry/drive. You have to pull the door handle to "wake" the car then the fin works to unlock the door.

Upon first wake up start you get a nice message in the ancillary PCM dashboard screen in yellow notifying you that the car was in battery protection mode. This may help mitigate battery drain issues.

Thanks for the input that's great to know, does this happen for you only when the car is locked or does it happen when unlocked as well?
Old 12-19-2017, 02:07 PM
GT325
Pro

Received 185 Likes on 103 Posts

Good question. I'm not 100% sure. I always leave my car locked.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do 991s go to “ sleep”?