Sponsored by:

Switching to 2018 718 Cayman from 2017 911 Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 03:01 PM
Pinger
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching to 2018 718 Cayman from 2017 911 Carrera S

I know this will be considered sacrilege and/or asinine by some, but I have decided to switch from a 2017 911 Carrera S to a 2018 Cayman GTS.

Put in the order last week. Specs of both are below, and I've tried to attach pictures of the Cayman build. Love my 911, but test drove a Cayman S, and couldn’t believe how much fun it was , and how different the mid-engine felt (balance, etc.). So fun that I started to think about the relative cost of building a Cayman GTS to my preferred specs relative to the trade in value of the 911 (which I bought at a significant discount from my local dealer) – the 911 is very nice, but not to my preferred spec (was missing MT) and colour scheme. Turned out to be a pretty even deal.

Some other considerations:
- The loss of the backseat (only used for storing bags in the 911 anyway);
- Moving from a 6-cyl to 4-cyl… yes, there is a difference in sound, but not a deal breaker for me, and the fun factor more than compensates;
- Loss of the “911 prestige factor”, i.e. that the 718 is "an entry level sports car", the 911 more refined. In some ways I suppose this has some truth to it, but the 718 is not a “lesser car”, just fundamentally different. Must be driven to be understood.

I’d be interested in the views of the Rennlist community on the switch… from what I’ve read, there are those that just won’t ever entertain a 4-pot over a 6, and I get that. I guess in the end we all buy the cars that speak to us…

Outgoing 2017 911 Carrera S

Guards Red
Power Sport Seats (14-way) with Memory Package
Seat belts in Guards Red
Sport Chrono Package
Sport Exhaust System
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
Premium Package Plus i.c.w. Power Sport Seats (14-way)
Luggage net in passenger footwell
Smoking package
Porsche Crest on headrests
SportDesign exterior mirrors
Wheel center caps with colored Porsche Crest
Multifunction and Heated Steering Wheel
20" RS Spyder Design Wheels
Electric Slide/Tilt Sunroof in Glass
Power Steering Plus
BOSE® Surround Sound-System
SportDesign Exterior Mirrors (Lower Trim) Painted in High Gloss Black
PORSCHE Logo and Model Designation Painted
Bi-Xenon™ headlights with four-point LED daytime running lights and dynamic headlight leveling

Incoming 2018 718 Cayman GTS

Night Blue Metallic (interior: TG Leather Interior with Sport-Tex Seat Centers in Graphite Blue/Chalk)
Premium Package Plus (Adaptive Sport Seats Plus, 18-way) - Porsche Entry & Drive; Automatically Dimming Mirrors with Integrated Rain Sensor; Light Design Package; 2-Zone Automatic Climate Control; Seat Heating
Deletion of Model Designation on Doors
Window Surround and Window Triangle Painted in High-Gloss Black
Bi-Xenon main headlights in Black including Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
SportDesign Package Painted in Black (high-gloss)
Rear side air intake grilles painted
Performance 480 6-speed Manual Transmission
Power Steering Plus
20" 911 Turbo wheels
GT Sport Steering Wheel (Heated, Multifunction)
Deletion of Alcantara®
Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) withMemory Package
Smoking Package
Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell
Instrument dials in White
Sport Chrono stopwatch instrument dial in White
Seat Belts in Silver Grey
Porsche Crest on Headrests
Navigation Module for Porsche
Communication Management (PCM)
Burmester® High-End Surround Sound System
Connect Plus

Old 12-17-2017, 09:43 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Well, first, I agree with your comments regarding the way the mid-engine cars are so tossable. I love my 981 Spyder. I also love the way the new 718 Drive. Cosmetically, your car is awesome. Night-blue is great, and the choc / graphite Interiors are really cool. I think you were going to enjoy the car immensely, because you've already come to the conclusion that the four-cylinder turbo engine doesn't bother you too much. I, on the other hand, have test-driven these cars a couple of times, and while I love the handling characteristics, I just haven't been able to get used to the turbo lag and the sound. The cars are great and I am sure you will have a blast. I wish you all the best. As for sacrilege, no, don't listen to any of that nonsense. People that would stick with a 911 for that reason alone or not true Enthusiast. It's all about the Drive characteristics. If Hyundai comes out with a car that has the fit, finish, and drive characteristics of a Porsche, and half the price, well, there's no question which one I would buy. Hope you have a blast.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:55 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Drive what you like--life is short!
Old 12-17-2017, 11:29 PM
gearboxtrouble
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't think you're crazy. I got to spend some time in both a 718 S and a 991.2 carrera GTS on track. I'm not really an expert so for me, the cayman was actually the quicker car - I was even able to pass plenty of drivers in the 911 GTS during those sessions. I felt like I could carry a lot more speed through corners with the Cayman and while it does fall behind a bit on the straights, its actually pretty quick just taken by itself. I even like the flat-4 exhaust note. It sounds great at idle and on cold start and its a very different sound to what I'm used to hearing from Porsches. Congratulations on your new ride.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:39 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

As long as YOU are happy - that's what matters!! Love the night blue metallic, and I have heard that the new 718 platform really just makes driving a lot of fun, 4 cyl engine included.. a lot of the critiques on the newer turbo'd cars I feel are resistance to change/psychological that can taint the driving experience (it has even happened to me driving my turbo'd C4), get it out of your head and if you are smiling and happy then it's a good move
Old 12-18-2017, 01:39 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

The trade in or resale value on cayman will not be very good.. the exception being the cayman GT4.
i would totally trade my 991.1 Carrera S in for a GT4.

Why not not look for the best of all caymans? They can be had for 94 to 97k with under 10,000 miles now
Old 12-18-2017, 03:20 AM
zx5go
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I wish Porsche would figure out a way to give us ventilated seats on the sport tex!
Old 12-18-2017, 03:20 AM
Unframed
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 83 Posts

I drove the 991.2S PDK and 718 S MT back to back today. Same road. The 718 steering is much more lively, in the best way. I did not care for the engagement point of the clutch but I am out of practice with driving stick. The deal breaker for me was cabin noise in the 718. The exhaust droned and resonated inside the cabin at all speeds. I did not like it at all. If the 718 sounded like the 981 GTS I would have been all over it.

As long as you aren’t sensitive to the resonance the 718 is a killer car. It’s so agile and the low end torque feels fantastic.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:01 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like a great idea - the Cayman in GTS form (718 - 981) is a brilliant drivers car.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:26 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Life is really about trying to get what you want not what Others think you should have. Beautiful car, enjoy it.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:00 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

There is no shame in this trade other than it was kind of dumb to move away from the best and fastest colour - Guards Red! (only kidding that it's dumb but I can post graphs and dynos of GR being the fastest).

I struggle with this at times but with a Boxster for the driving reasons you've mentioned. Eventually I will add a Cayman of some kind for the reasons of what it feels like to drive,

Also - congrats for following the fun factor as it speaks to you and not some sort of image that you think a new 911 projects. Following the personal fun factor is the reason for many unresolved differences within many 911 generations and the reason it's so hostile is because it is an emotional connection that cannot be quantified.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:01 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

My 911 was in for service and I was given a nicely spec'd 781 S for a loaner. Lots of fun, really nice power, etc. I personally would not make the move only because I need the space. However I would zero hesitation adding one to the stable. Congrats!
Old 12-18-2017, 08:01 AM
J.Ho
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those cars are a blast. The turbo wheels are a huge pain to clean tho trust me! I have them on my C42S.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:17 AM
TheWolf
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your answer: Keep the 991 AND get the Cayman GTS... best of both worlds.

Seriously though, this was similar to the choice I faced a year ago. I ended up with a 991, but once the kids are too big for the back seats, I have my eye on a Cayman. Cayman GTS is a great car.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:00 AM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

I think you should buy what you like and not give a damn about what anyone else thinks.

I had a 718 loaner a few months back and I thought it was absolutely fabulous. That blue looks exquisite! Enjoy the car.

Quick Reply: Switching to 2018 718 Cayman from 2017 911 Carrera S