Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

It is not a compelling package IMO
Old 12-21-2017, 09:55 AM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
“Hi, I’d like something that looks like a 911 but with weight and handling closer to a Cayenne.”

”Yes sir we have 3 Targas in stock right this way please...”
Ye gods. This again.

The Targa is hardly gimped in handling. Any instrumented test will tell you that. Test show the 991.1 Targa holds 0.99g on a skidpad, and the 991.2 holds 1.04g.

Yes, it weighs more, and that hurts acceleration, but it's not remotely a Cayenne. +200lbs is not +1000lbs. It's always going to be slower than a similar trim 991... but that doesn't mean it's slow. C&D puts the 0-60 time of a 991.2 C4S Targa at 3.3 seconds. That's slow? You must really hate the 991.1 GTS, since no one managed that kind of time in that car.

Yeesh.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:42 AM
vwduud
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome. Another negative nelly hater.

I own a 991.1 targa 4 GTS and a Cayenne twin turbo. To say that my targa handles like my Cayenne is ridiculous. What a stupid statement.

If you don't like the targa, don't buy one. If it's too expensive for your tastes, get a Versa S for $12k.

And the whole "extra weight makes it slower" is right up there with the sales pitch that the PDK is faster than a manual. Statistically speaking, on a track, that's what we read. Of the Porsche owners that I know and talk to, very few of them put their cars on the track, much less drive them at all (yay battery tenders).

I'll have my targa 2 years in about 5 days. It is my daily driver. Just rolled over 33k miles. Rain or shine, it puts a huge grin on my face every time I get in it. Oh, and if its not raining, I press the little thingy to let the sky and wind pour in. That sometimes finds me having to pull over to cover up when the forecast shifts and the rain comes. Pressing a button sure beats the day when I had a 914 and had to spend more than twice the time running around the car to get the roof back on, getting soaked.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:26 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Sorry, I just cannot understand the targa. I love convertibles, I have a convertible, they’re totally worth the extra weight. But they make a great 911 convertible that’s lighter and more open with the top down than the targa.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:19 PM
vwduud
Instructor

Sorry, I just cannot understand the targa. I love convertibles, I have a convertible, they’re totally worth the extra weight. But they make a great 911 convertible that’s lighter and more open with the top down than the targa.
Why do you think that you need to understand the targa? And then apologize for it. I appreciate the history of why a targa 911 was introduced in the late 60's due to the belief that the NHTSA would make it difficult for fully open convertibles to meet regulations for sale in the US. A red, whale tail, air-cooled targa still stands out, in my mind, as the pinnacle of all 911's. I could care less about the extra weight.

Doesn't mean all hard tops are bad, nor convertibles. Yet, I don't feel the need to tell others why I think the targa is better. I just assume have a pissing contest; against the wind. No one wins that contest.

Enjoy what you bought. Let others do the same.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:21 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm not that old, but I'd assume the Targa came about when that wasn't the case - when convertibles represented a performance and structural/safety challenge. Fast forward to present:. Convertibles now present little structural or performance penalty. As far as I can tell, the 991 Targa was pursued purely for nostalgic and aesthetic reasons. It does nothing better than a Cab.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:26 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I think people who wanted a Targa had very little choice. They jumped on the 991.1 Targa. Then there is 3 more years of no choice. Now you can get a 991.2 Targa. So some 991.1 Targas are available. Plus half the country has difficulties selling any open top car in winter.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:11 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

I guess I mean yeah the percentage difference is small, and if it’s really what makes you happy than get it, but I’m the kind of guy that just has to call things out if they don’t make any logical sense. Like there was a time when knit sweaters made sense, but they don’t anymore because we have hoodies now and they’re like the same thing but better because you have a hood. So if you’re like “I’m going to go buy a bunch of sweaters” I feel like I have a duty to tell you “dude just get hoodies they’re better”.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:22 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

I guess I mean yeah the percentage difference is small, and if it’s really what makes you happy than get it, but I’m the kind of guy that just has to call things out if they don’t make any logical sense. Like there was a time when knit sweaters made sense, but they don’t anymore because we have hoodies now and they’re like the same thing but better because you have a hood. So if you’re like “I’m going to go buy a bunch of sweaters” I feel like I have a duty to tell you “dude just get hoodies they’re better”.
OMG.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:36 PM
vwduud
Instructor

I'll make sure that I ask for your approval the next time that I am in the market for a 911. Or a new sweater.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:17 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I can't believe there's a Targa Haters Thread... I love mine and I'm immune to all this ridiculous, stupid bashing.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:24 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by vwduud
I'll make sure that I ask for your approval the next time that I am in the market for a 911. Or a new sweater.
IMO people should ask my approval about a lot of things.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:51 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Very confused by this. Wouldn't a hoodie be more like a targa and a sweater be more like a cab?
Old 12-21-2017, 09:10 PM
bwiele
Pro

Originally Posted by Al.Fresco
Very confused by this. Wouldn't a hoodie be more like a targa and a sweater be more like a cab?
Finally someone who can cut through all the nonsense and speak the truth!
Old 12-21-2017, 09:23 PM
bwiele
Pro

Delete

Quick Reply: Three 991.2 targas for sale