Header discussion

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 11:05 PM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Nino
Good stuff SBA!

I remember talking with you a while back about sound/tone changes with headers.

What did you find in terms of noise with only headers on PSE then headers + sport cats vs sport cats only on PSE.

Read that slowly lol.
hey Nino,
yep, I remember that conversation, it was very helpful, thank you for you time. It was just before I pulled the trigger on that Fabspeed setup.

I didnt hear any noticeable diff in sound with the headers. I feel like the only diff in sound was effected by the sport cats.
As for PSE vs none PSE, in none PSE, all sound the same to me. With PSE on, headers made no diff but sport cats did open her up and made it growl louder. Not too loud, but a good loud that makes you smile when pulling over 4RPM.

I was very worried about an the turbo whistle becoming too much, but I can’t say it is that much more noticeable. Though the sound clips do bring that tone out, I can seem to movie it as much. I’m starting to really like the way these 991.2 sound, and I’m not trying to start a 991.1 vs 991.2 battle
Old 04-17-2018, 12:24 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SBARacing

hey Nino,
yep, I remember that conversation, it was very helpful, thank you for you time. It was just before I pulled the trigger on that Fabspeed setup.

I didnt hear any noticeable diff in sound with the headers. I feel like the only diff in sound was effected by the sport cats.
As for PSE vs none PSE, in none PSE, all sound the same to me. With PSE on, headers made no diff but sport cats did open her up and made it growl louder. Not too loud, but a good loud that makes you smile when pulling over 4RPM.

I was very worried about an the turbo whistle becoming too much, but I can’t say it is that much more noticeable. Though the sound clips do bring that tone out, I can seem to movie it as much. I’m starting to really like the way these 991.2 sound, and I’m not trying to start a 991.1 vs 991.2 battle;)
Don't worry, those days are over..

I can't wait to have my headers and bypass pipes put on.. Currently awaiting ceramic heat coating
Old 04-17-2018, 08:17 AM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

ceramic heat coating?
Old 04-18-2018, 02:27 PM
stephen k
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I went ahead and bought the FabSpeed headers and sport cats for my 991.2.
I did the install myself and decided to try each component separately.
1. headers swap only, left the OEM cats and muffler.
2. Sport Cats only, putting back OEM headers and OE muffler.
3. Both headers and sport cats with the OE muffler.

Keep in mind get the findings are based on feel only, same route with similar weather conditions at similar times of the day (evening).
My feel comes from spending a few good years on race motorcycles, where the inputs we get from throttle, breaks, chassis and suspension are key to winning.
I know it isn’t going to be as accurate as a dyno, but these are the findings.

1. With headers swap only, I couldn’t feel any diff from full stock OE.
2. With sport cats swap only, I did feel a significant diff in response, felt quicker and obviously louder.
3. While I was under the impression that since 1 didn’t make any diff, I was surprised to find out that with both headers and sport cats, I did feel a noticeable improvement over sport cats only. It felt much quicker than the all stock, and it also felt quicker than sport cats only. I’m not so sure why, but I tested it again just to be sure and it is noticeably quicker with hears and sport cats (3) vs just sport cars (2).

These were my findings and I’m not sure I can explain why. And there may be a chart out there that may show that I lost something somewhere, but for a feels prospective, I feel like the car is significantly quicker with (3) than any other setup I tried.

Hope this helps somone

I have done this same succession of exhaust part swaps and have found the same thing. I did not have the time to dyno but can confirm that the sport cats by itself is the key to making additional power on the 9A2. Sport headers in junction with sport cats make the car even stronger but the sport headers with all else stock does not feel this way. I can only assume the issue is that without the oem cats replaced, the oem cats are not able to utilize the additional flow from the sport headers.

On the inside of the car, with sport headers and cats the sound may seem like it is a very little or no difference from a car with just sport cats but on the outside the difference in sound is very easily perceivable. The exhaust is louder and more throatier and with sport mode on the increase in turbo sound is pretty substantial.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:33 PM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stephen k
I have done this same succession of exhaust part swaps and have found the same thing. I did not have the time to dyno but can confirm that the sport cats by itself is the key to making additional power on the 9A2. Sport headers in junction with sport cats make the car even stronger but the sport headers with all else stock does not feel this way. I can only assume the issue is that without the oem cats replaced, the oem cats are not able to utilize the additional flow from the sport headers.

On the inside of the car, with sport headers and cats the sound may seem like it is a very little or no difference from a car with just sport cats but on the outside the difference in sound is very easily perceivable. The exhaust is louder and more throatier and with sport mode on the increase in turbo sound is pretty substantial.
there is nothing like taking it out for a spin and trying the diff setting yourself. While working on it myself was long, and left a good number of cuts on my hands, it was very rewarding and fulfilling. 🤙
Old 04-18-2018, 02:52 PM
stephen k
Rennlist Member

there is nothing like taking it out for a spin and trying the diff setting yourself. While working on it myself was long, and left a good number of cuts on my hands, it was very rewarding and fulfilling. 🤙
I totally agree... The wrench clearance around the oem cats and heat shields took some patience and beer!!!
Old 04-18-2018, 03:07 PM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Lol, the FB screw holder was too deep for the OEM hearshild screw. It took me so long on that part. Gave up and went to get a screw that was a tiny bit longer and solved it the next day. That was the only unplanned part.
Did you take out the muffler, bumper and wheels?
Old 04-18-2018, 03:19 PM
stephen k
Rennlist Member

Lol, the FB screw holder was too deep for the OEM hearshild screw. It took me so long on that part. Gave up and went to get a screw that was a tiny bit longer and solved it the next day. That was the only unplanned part.
Did you take out the muffler, bumper and wheels?
I did the only the wheels and fender liner first but ended up doing the bumper and muffler as well. I had a 997 C2S before and although there was an additional side muffler piece, that car was easy peasy compared to the 991.2 .
Old 04-18-2018, 03:22 PM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stephen k
I did the only the wheels and fender liner first but ended up doing the bumper and muffler as well. I had a 997 C2S before and although there was an additional side muffler piece, that car was easy peasy compared to the 991.2 .
yep, the 991.2 with the TT is so cramped up under there. It was a challenge, but it is worth it
Old 04-18-2018, 05:59 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ceramic heat coating?
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1061...ust-parts.html
Old 04-18-2018, 06:08 PM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

interesting,
Old 04-18-2018, 08:08 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

The other reason for the heat shield cladding, of course, is to keep from baking your ignition coils. Don't know if this is still an issue on .2 cars, but it was an issue on the .1 cars with some of the aftermarket headers.

Quick Reply: Header discussion