Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Article lauding a Mustang GT over a 991 GTS

Old 12-10-2017, 09:22 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
I have a 2014 GT500 that I bought new, sight unseen from a dealership a few hundred miles away. I've had it 4.5 years now, and it's been flawless. Zero rattles. Even with a few mods such as shifter and suspension, it always just does what I ask it to do. The Recaros are comfy and it rides great. The interior is a mustang interior. But the drivetrain, including motor, one piece carbon fiber driveshaft, MGW shifter, and 3.55 gears.....that's where the money is on this car. To produce a car that came from the factory with 662 hp, sold for $67000, and now has a proven track record that's pretty much free from inherent weak points, recalls, class action suits, etc,....that's pretty good engineering in my estimation. For hooning, can't be beat.
I find myself more and more drawn to the V8's glorious unadulterated induction noise and mean exhaust. The interior still gives me pause but i might get over it given the low price of admission. I couldn't touch a decent base 911 for 67K!
Old 12-10-2017, 10:47 PM
ncamg
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I own both. A 2014 911 TT cab PDK and a 2016 Mustang GT base (cloth interior) with 3 pedals. Both are great cars but offer very different experiences. The TT is an "almost super car" without the over the top looks and with bullit proof German engineering. The fit and finish are world class and the quality of materials is excellent. The Mustang on the other hand is a modern day example of an American muscle car. Every day it is a tough choice which one to drive. BTW I get about the same number of complements for each car but from different people. I think both companies nailed their designs and engineering. Different cars but who would want two of the same thing. Oh yeah, the TT is a lot faster but the Mustang is a lot of fun at reasonable speeds.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:31 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
While that may be, surely it's possible to talk about why it's wrong rather than just declaring it wrong by fiat. I'd enjoy reading such.
Why is what wrong, click bait? Because it's yellow journalism all over again. These sites get paid by the click. Click, click, click, ching, Ching, Ching, Ching goes the cash register. So the standard is low...the website doesn't care about the story, they want you to click on the article. So, as said, they write an article guaranteed to make one party mad and the other party happy to get clicks. Does the article have any merit? Who cares, it got clicks! and with the way people consume social media, it's likely many of the people didn't read it any way. Mustang is better than 911! Mustang fanboys share and repost away. Cha-Ching goes the register. 911 fans repost to discuss what BS it is. Cha-Ching goes the register again. Meanwhile, the article sucks.

It's a system that rewards people for sloppy journalism at best, and sensationalism at worst. And authors who can write, research and create a pursuasive argument are pushed to the wayside
Old 12-10-2017, 11:48 PM
911sccab
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
But I'd be interested to see some intelligent, detailed takedowns of why he's dead, dead wrong. I'm not the guy to do it, because I've never even sat in a Mustang, so I'd be arguing in ignorance.
Interesting. You freely disparage something you admittedly know nothing about.

Porsches aren’t perfect and Mustangs aren’t all bad. Most enlightened enthusiasts would likely agree with that.

Sometimes I wonder why Mustang drivers call Porsche drivers bad names. Sometimes I don’t.

Oh, my 30+ year old “5.0” still lights my fuse. You have no idea what you are missing.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:55 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
I find myself more and more drawn to the V8's glorious unadulterated induction noise and mean exhaust. The interior still gives me pause but i might get over it given the low price of admission. I couldn't touch a decent base 911 for 67K!
If you watch the Top Gear video review of the GT500, the European journalists can't wipe the smiles off of their mugs.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:18 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Spoken like someone whose never owned a mustang. there is zero reason a mustang wont be just as long lived as a 911. and calling a 911 a patek while a mustang is a timex is a joke
Nope, never owned a Mustang, but have owned 2 Fords out of 35 cars So I'm completely familiar with Ford build quality. Frankly, only the recent Mustangs GTs are worth praise, how long has it been since the IRS was adopted? What were the platforms in the 70s and 80s? Weren't they adopted from other Ford products? Kind of hard to compete with the 50 years of 911 evolution. Are there any standard Mustangs built after 1973 that have significant collector interest? Maybe a mint mid 80s 5.0 convertible would sell for 15k-20K. You pick the watch comparison. WIth that said, I started my post by saying they are fantastic cars for the money.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:24 AM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

My oldest son has a 2012 Mustang GT he bought new and has modified some. He’s had one small problem with the car in the past five years, it looks good, has a great exhaust note, and pulls hard from any rpm. If I couldn’t afford my car I wouldn’t hesitate to own a Mustang GT—it’s a terrific enthusiast car. Make mine white with blue stripes.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:44 AM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Why is what wrong, click bait?
No, you misunderstood me. What I meant was "why the article was wrong," not "why click bait is bad." The latter seems self-evident.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:49 AM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 911sccab
Nice way to turn this into a combative discussion. Well done, well done!

My assumption is that if a 991 GTS is a $120k car, and a Mustang GT is a $35k car, and people continue to buy 991's, there's a reason. Or is it your position that anyone who buys a 991 is only interested in the Porsche badge, or otherwise stupid?
Old 12-11-2017, 12:55 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

I bounce back and forth. 911...Mustang.... 930, GT3...Boss 302...GT350...>>>the next Porsche:

Old 12-11-2017, 01:14 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Nope, never owned a Mustang, but have owned 2 Fords out of 35 cars So I'm completely familiar with Ford build quality. Frankly, only the recent Mustangs GTs are worth praise, how long has it been since the IRS was adopted? What were the platforms in the 70s and 80s? Weren't they adopted from other Ford products? Kind of hard to compete with the 50 years of 911 evolution. Are there any standard Mustangs built after 1973 that have significant collector interest? Maybe a mint mid 80s 5.0 convertible would sell for 15k-20K. You pick the watch comparison. WIth that said, I started my post by saying they are fantastic cars for the money.
I don't know, Terminator Cobras, Shelby GT500s, Boss 302s. My GT500 has followed a depreciation curve similar to 15 and 16 GTSs, I think. Another way to ask this is, are there any standard (key word) Porsches built recently that are highly sought after? No, mainly just GT cars and special editions, same as Ford.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:46 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 911sccab

Porsches aren’t perfect and Mustangs aren’t all bad. Most enlightened enthusiasts would likely agree with that.

Sometimes I wonder why Mustang drivers call Porsche drivers bad names. Sometimes I don’t.

Oh, my 30+ year old “5.0” still lights my fuse. You have no idea what you are missing.
The Fox Body is like the 911 of pony cars (in the sense where they both provide something nobody before or after them could quite capture). I had two 80’s 5.0’s back in the day and they were blasts. Not sure how I’d feel about it getting into it now, but I still consider getting one as a toy car. They’re so light, sound so good, easy to operate, and although most are getting junked, the good ones are dependable. Ultimate rudimentary fun.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:03 AM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 127 Posts

I have a 2012 Boss 302. I’ve owned it since 2011 and it’s by far one of the best cars I’ve ever owned. It’s got a hell of a lot more power than any of my 3 Porsche’s but it doesn’t use it as well.

granted, I’ve got headers and trackey tune so the car is not exactly stock. However, it handles incredibly well and has drama and presence. It takes real skill to drive at the limit, although the C4S trashes it in most performance measures. When it comes to throw you back in your seat, the thrill of driving something that seems like it wants to kill you, and sound... Mustang can’t be beat. Everyone knows...Steve McQueen drove a mustang. And also a 911...

The 911 is most certainly a better car. I paid 41k brand new for my mustang and it was known as the M3 killer at the time. Now, I paid 125k for my 2016 C4S and while I can say it’s a better car in most respects, I’m not sure it’s 3X better for 3X the price. Ford has really been on a roll the last 7 years or so. M3 owners were embarrassed by mustangs 5 years ago, and in quite sure the GT350 engineers set Porsche as its performance benchmark.

My 2016 C4S gets barely a passing glance from most people, and it’s got Brixton Forged wheels and full vorsteiber carbon with a techart drop. The Boss 302 gets thumbs up from almost everyone. The 1982 911 gets thumbs up just as much and someone offers to buy it at least once a week. Conclusion: 911’s are cool, special edition mustangs are cooler, classic 911’s are the coolest. 😎
Old 12-11-2017, 05:13 AM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 127 Posts

Old 12-11-2017, 08:48 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Over here the Mustang is known as the "Showbag" Why? looks great on the outside but is **** on the inside - seriously, its safety ratings were right up there with a Great Wall utility e.g. non-existent. The QA/QC is considered third rate. I know the truth hurts, but it is what it is.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Article lauding a Mustang GT over a 991 GTS