Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LOUD brake screech (while cold) just popped up. Any easy remedies, or a common issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 10:14 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts
Default LOUD brake screech (while cold) just popped up. Any easy remedies, or a common issue?

The other day a loud brake screech/squeal sound popped up. Only while cold and goes away when warmed up. It happens at any speed while it’s happening. Pretty embarrassing, lol. It has that steel-on-steel sound that you hear when GT3’s or high performance cars brake sometimes.

Didn’t happen at all before. Gonna add it to my little list for when I take it into the dealer. Brakes perform perfectly and oddly they seem to have gotten better ever since this “screech” episode started. It’s like they bite harder now. But I’m sure that’s in my head. They’re at about 70% last time I checked.

Anyone experienced this, or know what the tech may have to do to solve it, or if there’s some self remedy?

Thanks.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:24 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

I usually try bringing the pads up to temp with several hard decels when my pads get super loud, to "re-bed" them in a way, it usually helps. Admittedly I'm not using OEM compound, so YMMV
Old 12-09-2017, 10:35 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by erko1905
I usually try bringing the pads up to temp with several hard decels when my pads get super loud, to "re-bed" them in a way, it usually helps. Admittedly I'm not using OEM compound, so YMMV
Thanks! Yeah I was thinking that. Might just need a rebedding. The only “argh” part of that is I hate to have to hard stop and chew away at these expensive brakes to get rid of a squeal (doing it once is cool, but every time if it didn’t go away seems like it would add up?).
Old 12-09-2017, 10:53 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A

Thanks! Yeah I was thinking that. Might just need a rebedding. The only “argh” part of that is I hate to have to hard stop and chew away at these expensive brakes to get rid of a squeal (doing it once is cool, but every time if it didn’t go away seems like it would add up?).
You do have a point. OEM material is a bit softer, so it could make a difference.

I'm surprised that you think these are "expensive brakes" though, makes me think you've been using your dealer, and obviously nothing wrong w that.

However, I found that as long as you're not purchasing from/getting installed at the dealer, both the OEM pads and rotors are fairly affordable. I think the rotors are the usual Textar rotors, maybe 400 a pair? Need to check the pad manufacturer but those are also very affordable, sub 200 per pair I think roughly speaking, don't quote me on these I'm going by memory. Technically it's a DIY to swap pads and rotors too (even though I don't have the skills, tools or the space for it). For comparison, I got a quote from my local dealer for a brake pad and/or rotor swap and it was an eye popping number.

Having a good, local indy who knows what they're doing really helps the ownership experience imho: sourcing cheaper parts, not getting hosed on labor, track prep etc. You can still take the car to the dealer for warranty but I just don't understand their pricing on regular maintenance items.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:13 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by erko1905
You do have a point. OEM material is a bit softer, so it could make a difference.

I'm surprised that you think these are "expensive brakes" though, makes me think you've been using your dealer, and obviously nothing wrong w that.

However, I found that as long as you're not purchasing from/getting installed at the dealer, both the OEM pads and rotors are fairly affordable. I think the rotors are the usual Textar rotors, maybe 400 a pair? Need to check the pad manufacturer but those are also very affordable, sub 200 per pair I think roughly speaking, don't quote me on these I'm going by memory. Technically it's a DIY to swap pads and rotors too (even though I don't have the skills, tools or the space for it). For comparison, I got a quote from my local dealer for a brake pad and/or rotor swap and it was an eye popping number.

Having a good, local indy who knows what they're doing really helps the ownership experience imho: sourcing cheaper parts, not getting hosed on labor, track prep etc. You can still take the car to the dealer for warranty but I just don't understand their pricing on regular maintenance items.
OH yeah, anything out of warranty goes to an Indie. Too many amazing Porsche Indies who charge a fraction of dealer prices to actually pay dealers. All my services (barring my dealer has some insane discount) and anything out of pocket will go to an independent shop, such as the extremely highly knowledgable and reputable one I took my Macan to for service. Also, at Indies you get to deal directly with the owner and the people who work on your car (so if you're OCD and very particular like me, you can express that right to the source), so contrary to how some only-dealer birds think, I actually feel more comfortable with the service. Though I do take my car to my dealer for warranty claims as I have an awesome SA who I can't say enough good things about, as well the dealer is top notch.

I just mean "expensive" in the sense where any Porsche brakes aren't "cheap" but it is good to know that they're not "insanely expensive" when not being up charged by dealers.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:58 PM
kuma1416
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

You're lucky the brakes only squeal when they're cold. Mine squeal al the time.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:35 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

This has been going on hear (see what I did there!) since the 991 was launched in mid-year 2012. What you hear is normal. I've never heard my brakes screech in over 50,000 miles. Do a few hard stops, and it will improve (your brakes will last about 100,000 miles, so don't fret), only to come back. Maybe my MasterBlaster helps, too....during my wash routine.....but it's done so seldom.....maybe not. Others here have switched pads with good results.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:37 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Any chance you had washed the car just before the squealing started, especially a commercial touchless one with high pressure side-sprays? If car-wash spray wax/sealant or wheel cleaner got on the pads and rotors I could see this happening. This can especially happen if you don't bring the rotors up to temperature to dry them out and the chemicals dry on the pads and rotors, even after a DIY car wash.

My wash routine consists of the wash, a drying pass, a quick run to throw off any water I got on the rotors via centrifugal force and heating the brakes, then another careful touch-up pass on the car and a cleaning pass on the wheels (especially the barrels) to clean off the rust slung out of the rotors. Fortunately I have widely-spoked wheels that makes the barrel cleaning fairly easy.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:03 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by kuma1416
You're lucky the brakes only squeal when they're cold. Mine squeal al the time.
Yikes! Did you ever take them in to get them checked out?

Originally Posted by LexVan

This has been going on hear (see what I did there!) since the 991 was launched in mid-year 2012. What you hear is normal. I've never heard my brakes screech in over 50,000 miles. Do a few hard stops, and it will improve (your brakes will last about 100,000 miles, so don't fret), only to come back. Maybe my MasterBlaster helps, too....during my wash routine.....but it's done so seldom.....maybe not. Others here have switched pads with good results.
At least if it’s “normal” it doesn’t bug me too much I guess! Seriously, 100K miles on the brakes??

Originally Posted by StormRune
Any chance you had washed the car just before the squealing started, especially a commercial touchless one with high pressure side-sprays? If car-wash spray wax/sealant or wheel cleaner got on the pads and rotors I could see this happening. This can especially happen if you don't bring the rotors up to temperature to dry them out and the chemicals dry on the pads and rotors, even after a DIY car wash.

My wash routine consists of the wash, a drying pass, a quick run to throw off any water I got on the rotors via centrifugal force and heating the brakes, then another careful touch-up pass on the car and a cleaning pass on the wheels (especially the barrels) to clean off the rust slung out of the rotors. Fortunately I have widely-spoked wheels that makes the barrel cleaning fairly easy.
I was thinking the same thing as I know after a wash you can get some squeal. And I did wash the car recently. It didn’t seem to happen directly after the wash but I would’ve imagined any wash rust would’ve been cleaned off by now? It’s been almost a couple weeks now. Though I don’t drive the car too much and it did sit for a day or two directly after washing. I guess I’ll monitor it and see how it acts today.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:12 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by K-A
Seriously, 100K miles on the brakes??
I think so, for a non-tracked car. I'll get over 100K for sure. You should easiy expect +75K. We talked about this a couple weeks ago.....many agreed with +75,000 miles.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:17 AM
LexVan
Banned

For your weekend reading pleasure:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1024598-squeaky-brakes.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/833606-991-carrera-s-brake-squeal.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/940017-update-with-my-brake-squeak-situation.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/938909-brake-squeal-is-driving-me-nuts.html
Old 12-10-2017, 10:20 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by LexVan
I think so, for a non-tracked car. I'll get over 100K for sure. You should easiy expect +75K. We talked about this a couple weeks ago.....many agreed with +75,000 miles.
What?! Are we talking PADS?? That sounds insane. But obviously welcome. I have PTV+ too, which I understand can go through the rears quicker. I had 15K miles on my Macan S and the indie I took it to said that the front pads were near replacement stage (lots of urban traffic, semi regular spirited driving, though I always take it easy on the brakes, mostly non braking through turns).

Guess I have some homework to do with those links! Just weird it was totally fine for months.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:52 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Mine squeak occasionally but as LexVan pointed out, few hard stops make that go away for a while.
When I say hard stop I mean HARD stop, allow me to illustrate:
The wife is reading her cell phone, upon braking, she flies forward and drops her cellphone in the footwell, proceeds to scream and even slaps me upside the head.

I'm laughing and taking it in stride.
That's how I know I'm doing it right and killing 2 birds with one stone:
Stopping the brake squeak and pissing off the wife...which starts a different kind of squeak but that's more of a drone, no known cure!

Pick your squeak......
Old 12-10-2017, 12:54 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

If you have PCCB you will get 75k+ miles out of them, but you didn’t say that you have PCCB and looking at your profile picture, it does not appear you do.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:03 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Mine squeal all the time at low speeds.

Quick Reply: LOUD brake screech (while cold) just popped up. Any easy remedies, or a common issue?