Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LOUD brake screech (while cold) just popped up. Any easy remedies, or a common issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 01:41 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,195 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
Mine squeak occasionally but as LexVan pointed out, few hard stops make that go away for a while.
When I say hard stop I mean HARD stop, allow me to illustrate:
The wife is reading her cell phone, upon braking, she flies forward and drops her cellphone in the footwell, proceeds to scream and even slaps me upside the head.

I'm laughing and taking it in stride.
That's how I know I'm doing it right and killing 2 birds with one stone:
Stopping the brake squeak and pissing off the wife...which starts a different kind of squeak but that's more of a drone, no known cure!

Pick your squeak......
Old 12-10-2017, 05:57 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
Mine squeak occasionally but as LexVan pointed out, few hard stops make that go away for a while.
When I say hard stop I mean HARD stop, allow me to illustrate:
The wife is reading her cell phone, upon braking, she flies forward and drops her cellphone in the footwell, proceeds to scream and even slaps me upside the head.

I'm laughing and taking it in stride.
That's how I know I'm doing it right and killing 2 birds with one stone:
Stopping the brake squeak and pissing off the wife...which starts a different kind of squeak but that's more of a drone, no known cure!

Pick your squeak......
Old 12-10-2017, 10:18 PM
K-A
Drifting

Well, no squeals today. Hopefully it’s just some random non issue.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:04 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I haven't had a lot of squeal with the 991.2 yet, but I always thought my Panamera could easily have been mistaken for an approaching school bus...
Old 12-17-2017, 03:32 AM
K-A
Drifting

Well, fortunately the issue has seemed to resolve itself. Now that I know it isn't some "sudden" thing, I'm ok with some random brake squeaks as I expect it from a sports car. But I haven't really heard it, aside from once or twice (very quickly) since I posted this.

However, hilariously, today while stopped, I hear a VERY loud symphony of brake squeaks pulling up next to me.... it sounded like 4 brake squeaks piled on top of each other.... Imagining from 70's jalopy pulling up, turned out it was a brand new 991.2 C2. Made me chuckle at once and feel even more comforted at twice, considering it's something even a brand new 911 will do. Same feeling I had when I was still getting "broken into" the 911 nuances, and thought that hot-burning smell from behind may have signified something wrong. Then smelled that exact same smell from the .2 cars I drove (let's call it a nuanced 911 privilege).
Old 12-17-2017, 03:48 AM
OC 991
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've tried everything... bedding works to a degree (not withstanding looking like an idiot breaking the snot out of your without an obviously good reason ;-)
The thing that works best (for me) is washing the car/disks/callipers.
Works every single time.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:17 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

My brakes are insanely loud right now (I still have the track pads on) and I can't really re-bed in snow/rain - but i'm still keeping my head high and staying proud amidst the looks I get in the city #becauseracecar
Old 12-17-2017, 08:23 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by erko1905
My brakes are insanely loud right now (I still have the track pads on) and I can't really re-bed in snow/rain - but i'm still keeping my head high and staying proud amidst the looks I get in the city #becauseracecar
Hahaha.

#thatsthespirit

Quick Reply: LOUD brake screech (while cold) just popped up. Any easy remedies, or a common issue?