Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a 2013 911 Carrera S. Need some advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 12:39 PM
bright_medal
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Having personally had a lemon in the past, I would avoid buying a relatively new car that has had 5 owners.

The car I bought seemed like a great deal but I ignored the fact it had had 3 owners in its short life. The car was under factory warranty so I thought what could go wrong. That was a mistake for me.

I agree our 991s are reliable, but 5 owners is really unusual.

My two cents
Old 12-11-2017, 12:55 PM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bright_medal
Having personally had a lemon in the past, I would avoid buying a relatively new car that has had 5 owners.

The car I bought seemed like a great deal but I ignored the fact it had had 3 owners in its short life.
I agree with this. While these are mostly 'bullet proof' you want to own a car that was cared for, the owner was attentive to small issue and, obviously, maintenance. I would find it hard to believe that 5 owners would have cared for and been attentive to the details of the car if the average ownership is 1 year....more like a series of joy rides and thats a lot of miles if a good chunck of them were by owners that didnt feel invested in the car.

MOST other 991 options will not have as many owners to dont be afraid to pass. if you find something you dont like its also harder to sell with you as the 6th owner
Old 12-11-2017, 01:41 PM
RichAA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by matthewr87
Yeah, the 911 has been my childhood dream car for a while. It is tied with the Mustang. The pony was a much easier dream to achieve though. I think the main thing I'll miss is the V8 rumble. Nothing can quite replace that.
Oh wow, very nice! I've never had one, but I'm a fan. Thanks for posting the pics.

Agree on the engine sounds, but the flat 6 right behind you is pretty good. Hope you find what you want. At least you've got a nice ride until then.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:54 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

That car has been for sale for a while now. Back when I was searching, this one was ruled out for me as it's missing a lot of the "sport" options.

I just recommend being patient in your search. It took me two years to find the right 911 here in Canada. Our options are very limited, especially if you're wanting a MT.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:51 PM
matthewr87
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by bright_medal

The car I bought seemed like a great deal but I ignored the fact it had had 3 owners in its short life. The car was under factory warranty so I thought what could go wrong. That was a mistake for me.

I agree our 991s are reliable, but 5 owners is really unusual.

My two cents
Yeah, I really wouldn't consider any other car with 5 owners. I'm still trying to get the service records from the dealership. They have not been very engaged so far. Makes me think they do not really need to sell this car and my negotiating power will be low as a result.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:53 PM
matthewr87
Racer

Originally Posted by koala
That car has been for sale for a while now. Back when I was searching, this one was ruled out for me as it's missing a lot of the "sport" options.

I just recommend being patient in your search. It took me two years to find the right 911 here in Canada. Our options are very limited, especially if you're wanting a MT.
Any idea how long it has been on the market? I saw that they dropped the price recently (on autotrader). Still seems a bit high. Should be in the $90-95,000 CAD range based on what I've seen online.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:33 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Any idea how long it has been on the market? I saw that they dropped the price recently (on autotrader). Still seems a bit high. Should be in the $90-95,000 CAD range based on what I've seen online.
I can't recall for sure - I purchased mine in August, so it was certainly prior to that. I think it was $110k at one point.

I tend to agree with you, probably in that range. The net cost on mine was a touch higher as I had it shipped to Alberta from Ontario in an enclosed trailer, so that probably hurt my negotiating by $2k.

Each person is different, so I can't answer what the right decision is for you, but there were several reasons I didn't go with this particular car and went with mine instead (my specs are in this thread here if you want a comparison: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1025...-2013-c2s.html)
  • Front plate holes (we don't require them here in AB)
  • Missing PSE, Sport Seats Plus, Sport Design Wheel
My theory was that it'd cost me quite a lot of money to add PSE and the steering wheel - not to mention how crazy it would be to change the seats. The aerokit is very nice, but it wasn't a "must have" in my case.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:36 PM
matthewr87
Racer

I can't recall for sure - I purchased mine in August, so it was certainly prior to that. I think it was $110k at one point.

I tend to agree with you, probably in that range. The net cost on mine was a touch higher as I had it shipped to Alberta from Ontario in an enclosed trailer, so that probably hurt my negotiating by $2k.

Each person is different, so I can't answer what the right decision is for you, but there were several reasons I didn't go with this particular car and went with mine instead (my specs are in this thread here if you want a comparison: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1025...-2013-c2s.html)
  • Front plate holes (we don't require them here in AB)
  • Missing PSE, Sport Seats Plus, Sport Design Wheel
My theory was that it'd cost me quite a lot of money to add PSE and the steering wheel - not to mention how crazy it would be to change the seats. The aerokit is very nice, but it wasn't a "must have" in my case.
Wow, your 911 is beautiful. Definitely the right colour

And yeah, it seems like whoever ordered the car originally made some odd decisions with the options.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:39 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Wow, your 911 is beautiful. Definitely the right colour

And yeah, it seems like whoever ordered the car originally made some odd decisions with the options.
Thanks! It was kind of my unicorn. I know the desire to have one is strong, but stay patient for sure. It's winter now anyway

If you need better service, the Oakville dealer was great to deal with. PM me if you want a sales contact there. If I ever order a new Porsche, I'd give the Calgary dealer a shot of course being local, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Oakville again.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:42 PM
matthewr87
Racer

Thanks! It was kind of my unicorn. I know the desire to have one is strong, but stay patient for sure. It's winter now anyway

If you need better service, the Oakville dealer was great to deal with. PM me if you want a sales contact there. If I ever order a new Porsche, I'd give the Calgary dealer a shot of course being local, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Oakville again.
Thanks! Will do. The national inventory is quite sparse. I'm temporarily living in Texas and the US inventory is so much better. But I am not in the states permanently and don't want to buy here and import to Canada later.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:43 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Thanks! Will do. The national inventory is quite sparse. I'm temporarily living in Texas and the US inventory is so much better. But I am not in the states permanently and don't want to buy here and import to Canada later.
The currency exchange sure doesn't help either. I wish I had done this 3 years ago, would have saved $20-30k and had far more choice!
Old 12-11-2017, 05:33 PM
TerryC4S
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 27 Posts

I bought a 4 owner 2012 S Cab in January last year. I got it for a great price. It had 11,900 miles. The Carfax was clean. I had the major service done and the car checked out fine. I have put 5k miles on since then with no problems. I did have a clue the car had not been driven hard as it still had three of the four original tires and they all had decent tread wear. I replaced them with Pilot Sport 4Ss. If you like the car, have it checked out and go from there. You should be able to get a decent deal.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:12 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I'm thinking about a 2013 Carrera S. It is Porsche certified with 37,000 km on the odo. The only potential issue is that it has gone through 5 owners during its short life. Normally that is a red flag and seems to suggest a lemon.
991's are pretty robust... Early ones had some problems with 'changover valves' (electrically operated vacuum switches) but there was a TSB and an easy fix... Really other than every car's potential for 'bad luck' kind of issues, very few common problems.

I also prefer one or two owner cars, but it is not uncommon for these to go through several hands. Sometimes it's artificially inflated by Carfax, lease owner buys out car, an intermediate selling dealer shows as an owner, etc. but even so, not necessarily a red flag. If the carfax showed lots of dealership fixes other than service, maybe take a closer look. Often it's just folks who don't mind spending a large chunk of change for a car, and changing them out often.

Can't figure out if it has full leather from the dealership listing.
Not full leather. You can tell by the options list (AG - Black Standard Interior), and by the photographs. Full leather cars (I think the option code is still AZ for full leather in black) will have visible stitching along the top of the dash and on the top of the door cards. Vinyl dash/doors are smooth, no stitching, like these pictures of that particular car:

Here's an example from a different 991 at the same dealer, this one has full leather. It also happens to be a .2, but the door and dash stitching is going to be very similar or identical on a 991.1

Check out the door stitching. It happens to be two-tone so the stitching is red, stitching would be gray by default on an all black interior unless 'deviated stitching' is optioned.

A little harder to see the dash stitching on the same car due to the focus, but you can make it out a bit...
Old 12-11-2017, 06:26 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 359 Likes on 234 Posts

I'm thinking about a 2013 Carrera S. It is Porsche certified with 37,000 km on the odo. The only potential issue is that it has gone through 5 owners during its short life. Normally that is a red flag and seems to suggest a lemon.
However, I am not really that familiar with 911s and whether there are any kind of common problems which would force people to keep selling the car. Are there any things I should be on the look out for?

Also, can anyone give me a realistic cost of ownership per year in terms of maintenance? Thank you!
I would not buy a car with five previous owners. You should be able to find a one owner CPO car.
Maintenance at the dealer is quite expensive. My 911 is new but the expenses are similar if not higher than what I paid for my 13 Boxster S. Car needs service every 10k miles or once a year. Oil change is about 375-400, first year service. Second year at 20k I paid 900 which includes a brake flush. Third year was again just an oil service I think. The 40k is big with replacement of the spark plugs and usually runs about 1500 bucks if not more.
I can already see bolster wear in the car. Standard interior at least in the 981s had the problems of door panels warping in the heat and needing replacement at considerable cost.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:06 PM
matthewr87
Racer

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. Dealer sent me some more details. Apparently there is a lien on the car....

Quick Reply: Thinking about a 2013 911 Carrera S. Need some advice please.