Sponsored by:

Dealership won't give my Akra Exhaust back on 991.2 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 02:22 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 164 Posts
Default Dealership won't give my Akra Exhaust back on 991.2 GTS

Could really use some help guys...this one should be better than ADMs and allocations

Long story... as short as I can get it:
  • I built, ordered and owned a '18 991.2 GTS with Akrapovic exhaust center muffler
  • The GTS had an Akrapovic center muffler slip on ($5500 cost) that I originally paid a Michigan dealership to install when brand new upon my delivery
  • A few weeks back, I traded in my GTS for '18 GT3 (100 miles) located at Porsche dealership in Atlanta area.
  • Deal was agreed upon over the phone, I wired funds to hold vehicle until I drove down to make trade and complete paperwork.
  • I fully explained that the Akrapovic had to come off and I would bring the new OEM muffler with. They said no problem and would see how much it would cost me (labor).
  • I also provided Atlanta dealership the new takeoff OEM center muffler as part of trade while in Atlanta on delivery day.
  • Deal was made on trade, which included me paying about $600 to swap the OEM exhaust back to factory and remove my Akrapovic.
  • Akrapovic exhaust would be returned to me (or I would pick up when back in the area)
Here's where it gets dicey...
  • Dealership in Atlanta was in process of removing Akra exhaust per our deal and discovered screw/bolts that were unable to be taken off, potentially due to being stripped when installed (see video I attached).
  • These are on the two Valve bodies/plungers that had to be originally removed from OEM muffler and installed on Akrapovic muffler in order for valves to function.
  • Atlanta dealership could not remove 4 or 6 of them (something like that). There are 3 bolts on each valve body actuator that hold the valve body on the center muffler.
  • Atlanta dealership CPO'd vehicle with Akra exhaust on it, since they can.
  • Dealership subsequently sold vehicle (GTS) a week or so ago, with the Akra exhaust still installed.
  • When questioned, Atlanta dealership indicated it had sold but could have the vehicle brought back in to have Akrapovic exhaust removed
  • They also indicated you cannot buy the valve bodies individually from Porsche you would have to buy the entire muffler for 2600.00, which I absolutely believe.
  • Atlanta dealership Service Mgr called Michigan dealership Service Mgr asking for direction (money or part).
  • From what I understand, Michigan dealership doesn't plan to send the Atlanta dealership any funds to help them.
  • Michigan indicated this is not typical for another dealer to go after another dealer when taking in a used CAR from a private party, where the deal is already done and the vehicle already sold/delivered to a third, possibly 4th party with Akra muffler still attached.
  • Michigan assured me they would take care of me for future service, parts and allocations which I absolutely believe...

Way too damn shady to me.....I'm in the middle of this and completely disgusted.
Right now, I'm out a $5500 center muffler with little to no recourse to Atlanta that I'm aware of.
Michigan dealership may have accidentally screwed up but Atlanta dealership is holding me hostage intentionally. I dislike that part more than anything.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_2661.mov (1.65 MB, 75 views)
Old 08-09-2018, 02:36 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Sounds to me like you're gonna need a lawyer, or something in writing from the dealer that they will give you $5k credit towards service. Sorry you have to deal with these shenanigans.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:37 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Is there a guy called Chuck involved in this whole thing ?
Old 08-09-2018, 02:40 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

• I fully explained that the Akrapovic had to come off and I would bring the new OEM muffler with. They said no problem and would see how much it would cost me (labor).
  • I also provided Atlanta dealership the new takeoff OEM center muffler as part of trade while in Atlanta on delivery day.
  • Deal was made on trade, which included me paying about $600 to swap the OEM exhaust back to factory and remove my Akrapovic.
  • Akrapovic exhaust would be returned to me (or I would pick up when back in the area)
If it wasn't in writing it never happened is what I usually deal with in my line of work. Hopefully, you had your agreed items with the dealerships in writing or some sort of document or I doubt you will have a foot to stand on.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:41 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't really understand what kind of help you are looking for from this forum.... sounds like it is an ugly situation where everyone did their "best" but the results are ugly nonetheless....wonder what/how the new buyer would react when/if he was told to bring their "new" GTS back to have the Akra removed -- after it had been CPO'ed??...and yes I understand why you might be disgusted just not sure what recourse you have at this point.....
Old 08-09-2018, 02:43 PM
ninja911
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have 2 paths.

1. The Atlanta dealer agreed to something. They need to honor that. The deliverable is to remove the exhaust. They should have inspected this prior to selling. I seriously doubt that the new owner is going to be okay with this....

2. If there is cost because of a poor installation and you agree to something here with the Atlanta dealer - the Michigan dealer should warranty their shady work but owes nothing to Atlanta dealer and shouldn't have to deal with them beyond proving their work was shady.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:44 PM
ninja911
Banned

Originally Posted by 2010panny4S
If it wasn't in writing it never happened is what I usually deal with in my line of work. Hopefully, you had your agreed items with the dealerships in writing or some sort of document or I doubt you will have a foot to stand on.
The $600 transaction is enough to prove a reasonable verbal contract even if not in writing.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:59 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Real simple: Dear Atlanta Dealership

Give me my exhaust or $X or I will sue you and spend the next two weeks reporting my experience online.

Sincerely,

BlazinPond
Old 08-09-2018, 03:12 PM
ninja911
Banned

Originally Posted by evilfij
Real simple: Dear Atlanta Dealership

Give me my exhaust or $X or I will sue you and spend the next two weeks reporting my experience online.

Sincerely,

BlazinPond
This. They should have inspected prior to sale. It's their mistake.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:00 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

The used sales manager did have vehicle inspected and approve the GTS trade shortly after I arrived in Atlanta and before I did the paperwork to finalize the deal. It was in writing re: swapping the exhaust and the $600 they charged me.

Appreciate the input guys. I was at a loss after trying to be civil.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:15 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

In hindsight, the exhaust should have been R&R prior to trade-in. What to do now is insist the exhaust in question be returned. You paid for the removal labor I assume.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:36 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

If you want it to get hairy tell PCNA.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:26 PM
Nin Din Din
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BlazinPond
Appreciate the input guys. I was at a loss after trying to be civil.
By all means try to stay civil throughout this matter. You will have a better chance at reaching a satisfactory outcome.

Recommend you meet with the Atlanta management again. Explain your understanding of the contract. Confirm that their understanding of the contract is the same as yours. Was there a genuine misunderstanding by both you and the stealership? Tell them what you need to make you whole again. Be realistic. If you can’t get that particular Akra back, what else would satisfy you? What if anything, are they prepared to do? Will they contribute toward a new one? What can they offer you of equal value in place of the Akra that you would be willing to accept?

If you get nowhere with the stealership and you are articulate and feel comfortable arguing your case, file suit in small claims court. This will cost you virtually nothing as compared to superior court, an attorney and legal fees. If you don’t feel comfortable in that setting,then talk to a lawyer. Find out what he(she) will charge you, the likelihood of success, what that success will look like (aka compromise)and the time frame involved. Courts don’t like to get jammed up with these “small” cases so if suit is filed there will be pressure on both sides to reasonably compromise their positions. Don’t forget to include legal fees in your “demand”.

Good luck.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:50 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nin Din Din

By all means try to stay civil throughout this matter. You will have a better chance at reaching a satisfactory outcome.

Recommend you meet with the Atlanta management again. Explain your understanding of the contract. Confirm that their understanding of the contract is the same as yours. Was there a genuine misunderstanding by both you and the stealership? Tell them what you need to make you whole again. Be realistic. If you can’t get that particular Akra back, what else would satisfy you? What if anything, are they prepared to do? Will they contribute toward a new one? What can they offer you of equal value in place of the Akra that you would be willing to accept?

If you get nowhere with the stealership and you are articulate and feel comfortable arguing your case, file suit in small claims court. This will cost you virtually nothing as compared to superior court, an attorney and legal fees. If you don’t feel comfortable in that setting,then talk to a lawyer. Find out what he(she) will charge you, the likelihood of success, what that success will look like (aka compromise)and the time frame involved. Courts don’t like to get jammed up with these “small” cases so if suit is filed there will be pressure on both sides to reasonably compromise their positions. Don’t forget to include legal fees in your “demand”.

Good luck.
just the thing I was hoping for. Great advice. Thank you.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:06 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

I got screwed by a dealership here in the bay area buy the finance manager, I took my case all the way to PNCA, I caused a lot of stinks and in the end, PNCA spoke to that dealership and then dealership ended up giving me a blank voucher regardless of pice for the **** they did to me. I say get all the documents that you have that shows the promises or agreements and bring it up to PNCA.

Only thing sucks is I can't find that damn blank voucher after moving... could have used that blank check to pay for all new brakes that I had to do for my previous Panny

Quick Reply: Dealership won't give my Akra Exhaust back on 991.2 GTS