Sponsored by:

Sport steering wheel and radio presets 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 02:37 PM
dmia
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Sport steering wheel and radio presets 991.1

I recently acquired a 991.1 with the multi-function steering wheel. I'm contemplating MF to the sport steering wheel conversion. I came from a BMW M4 with a similar MF steering wheel. I dd my 991 so I love being able to use the MF buttons to change the radio presets.

My questions is for those of you with the sport steering wheels, how do you change the radio presets without taking your eyes off the road and look at the menu? Does the 4th toggle level switch on the lower right corner of the sport steering wheel allow you to change the radio presets? If so do you have to take your hands off the steering wheel to operate the lever switch?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:56 PM
dmia
Advanced

Anyone?
Old 12-06-2017, 04:08 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Can you post pics of this switch you're talking about on the sport steering wheel? Are you talking about the stalk that controls the multi-function display? I don't believe you can control the radio at all with it.

I cannot stand the look of the fisher price multi function wheel although it is very useful. I would go 991.2 MF wheel if thats doable.

Driving and trying to mess with the radio/PCM is a huge PITA. Especially on the .1 cars with the crappy PCM.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:51 PM
dmia
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nino
Can you post pics of this switch you're talking about on the sport steering wheel? Are you talking about the stalk that controls the multi-function display? I don't believe you can control the radio at all with it.

I cannot stand the look of the fisher price multi function wheel although it is very useful. I would go 991.2 MF wheel if thats doable.

Driving and trying to mess with the radio/PCM is a huge PITA. Especially on the .1 cars with the crappy PCM.
Yes I'm referring to the stalk that controls the multi-function display (see below). It's the small stalk under the right paddle shifter. I admit I love the sport steering wheel. But if the only way to control the radio presets while driving is messing with the PCM touch screen, then that's horrible.

Regarding the 991.2 I heard that they can't even change the preset radio stations using the MF controls on their steering wheels. Again what was Porsche thinking?

And this is my current MF steering wheel. I've looked into the 991.2 steering wheels from Suncoastparts but they don't have a wheel in espresso leather. Am I out of luck?

Old 12-16-2018, 10:24 AM
kikcaffine
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats involved from going from a sport design wheel to a Multifunction with no paddles?
Old 12-16-2018, 11:14 AM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 330 Posts

Why don't you just add paddles to your MF wheel and get the best of both worlds? Yes, the look is a little different between the two steering wheels. but adding the paddles is a great option. Check out my post (#14) on this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9501...l#post15433704
Old 12-16-2018, 02:40 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by dmia
I recently acquired a 991.1 with the multi-function steering wheel. I'm contemplating MF to the sport steering wheel conversion. I came from a BMW M4 with a similar MF steering wheel. I dd my 991 so I love being able to use the MF buttons to change the radio presets.

My questions is for those of you with the sport steering wheels, how do you change the radio presets without taking your eyes off the road and look at the menu? Does the 4th toggle level switch on the lower right corner of the sport steering wheel allow you to change the radio presets? If so do you have to take your hands off the steering wheel to operate the lever switch?

Thanks in advance.
To answer your question, yes, you can change your preset stations with the bottom right stalk. Once you toggle to the radio setting on the MFD, push stalk away from you and you will see all your presets. You can then scroll up and down to see your presets and then select the station you want by pushing the stalk away from you.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:38 PM
rezok
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

can anyone advise the part number/s for the 991.1 sport steering wheel multifunction stalk?

My dealer is having a hard time working it out....thanks in advance!
Old 12-22-2018, 07:00 AM
Oel
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport steering wheel with no stalk!!

Originally Posted by rezok
can anyone advise the part number/s for the 991.1 sport steering wheel multifunction stalk?

My dealer is having a hard time working it out....thanks in advance!
hi,

did you manage to reach anywhere with this?

i have a bought a 2013 991.1 ,and upgraded to the sport design steering wheel.

I am facing the same issue. After installing the new sport design steering wheel, I found out that the right hand stalk is missing; and now in endless discussions if I should have been informed earlier with its relevant cost, etc...(which is btw another 1200$ ontop of the approx 1200$ i have paid for the sport steering wheel alone and its installation).

Is it actually an option to install the steering wheel alone without the lever, and lose any control on the multifunction screen? This is what the agency is claiming as an excuse of not informing me earlier of the other parts that should get installed(the stalk and a new control unit - as they are claiming)

thank you guys in advance.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:27 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

I bought a sport wheel multi function with paddles from a Macan, a new air bag and the GPS adapter installed it yesterday. Everything works fine. It is nicer than the MF wheel that came with the car, but I also have a M4, and I wish the Porsche wheels were as nice.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:00 AM
rezok
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Oel

hi,

I am facing the same issue. After installing the new sport design steering wheel, I found out that the right hand stalk is missing; and now in endless discussions if I should have been informed earlier with its relevant cost, etc...(which is btw another 1200$ ontop of the approx 1200$ i have paid for the sport steering wheel alone and its installation).

Is it actually an option to install the steering wheel alone without the lever, and lose any control on the multifunction screen? This is what the agency is claiming as an excuse of not informing me earlier of the other parts that should get installed(the stalk and a new control unit - as they are claiming)

all being well, my dealer is installing the wheel and supplying the part this week. The stalk is I believe circa $500. I will let you know how I go!
Old 01-11-2019, 03:24 AM
rezok
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Oel

hi,

I think I have the part number for the steering column/stalk - PO970613059501E0. This is the "four stalk" column.

Suncoast, if I understand correctly, has this part (or a similar US spec one) for $250. In Australia, the dealer charged me a little more, no biggie.

You will pay for the fitting and coding (recommend this route than an indie) for 1-2 hours of labor.

On my car, this part has the indicator signal and cruise control on the left side, and wipers and MF control on the right side of the column.

I assume US Spec cars have the MF screen on the 5 cluster dash (one dial front the right on my car) that will cycle through the options.

This part, with the steering wheel, should get your multifunction operational. You should get your old 3 way stalk back from the dealer when the fit the new one.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions!
Old 01-13-2019, 12:45 AM
N2B8TOR
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I kept my original MF steering wheel. After using it for a year I'm so glad I didn't go with the sport design steering wheel. My car is a daily driver and the features on the MF steering wheels are a must. Also I used to think it didn't look as good as the SD steering wheel. But now it's looks perfectly fine to me and I love it. Being able to program one of the button to change my radio/Spotify song makes huge difference. Also I like shifting the PDK and I probably drive it that way 80% of the time. I find the center console shift lever much more enjoyable to use versus the paddles. Mainly when I'm turning I don't have to guess where to pull the button. So if you have the MF wheel I suggest you try it out for 6 moths before considering spending all the extra money and dealing with the headaches.

Quick Reply: Sport steering wheel and radio presets 991.1