Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Targa Top - Open/Close from Key FOB

Old 12-01-2017, 01:07 PM
Lava Fire
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Targa Top - Open/Close from Key FOB

My US spec 2018 Targa 4S just arrived. While I was traveling in Europe, I was provided a Targa 4S loaner car (obviously in European spec) due to the temporary problem they had with registration for European Delivery. There were a few touches on the loaner that are European market specific items that I liked. The principal one being the ability to open and close the Targa top from the remote key fob (bottom button below). The US key FOB does not come with this feature, so I inquired of the local US dealer if this was something that could be incorporated by purchasing the European Targa key fob and having them program the key and the car accordingly, The dealership has said that they cannot do that because the software for US spec cars does not have the package that allows the Targa top to be operated remotely. I had assumed it would be a simple software adjustment,

Can anyone confirm that in fact the US spec cars cannot be modified to allow for remote opening/closing of the Targa top? Is there a known workaround? Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

Old 12-01-2017, 01:18 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,139 Likes on 980 Posts

It's a liability for Porsche in the US (because we are just so darn litigious!). Same with the Cabs. No dealership can or will modify the car for remote top down. However there is a work around and easy to install. It works with the Targa. I did this on my Boxster.

http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/shop/index.php?p=b3JnYT1zbWFydHRvcCZncm91cD0yJmxhbmc9MiZjdXJyPTI=&action=prod ucts&cat=1&mode=view&id=130
Old 12-01-2017, 03:43 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
It's a liability for Porsche in the US (because we are just so darn litigious!). Same with the Cabs. No dealership can or will modify the car for remote top down. However there is a work around and easy to install. It works with the Targa. I did this on my Boxster.

http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/shop/in...de=view&id=130

Buy this. It's awesome.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:46 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

^^^ Yep, Mods4Cars SmartTop is your answer. Not only do you get the remote open/close feature from your key fob that you seek....you also get one click open and close from button inside the car, vs holding the button during the full 20 second process. A bit pricey...but certainly a mod I would do again.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:58 PM
FloridaMarco
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great mod. My dealer gladly installed it. Does not modify the PCM. It's a black box. You triple-click the "unlock" button to both raise and lower the top. And it puts the windows up or down at the same time (and you can modify that pre-installation if you like. Plus as mentioned above, one-click (no need to hold button) from within the car. Nifty device.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:00 PM
Lava Fire
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks very much guys. This seems to be a very good solution, if I can't get the factory set up. I've sent a note to them to see if they can do it so that it would work with a european remote so that I can use the specific targa top button on the euro fob instead of the open and close buttons on the US remote. We shall see.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:56 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,139 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by Lava Fire
Thanks very much guys. This seems to be a very good solution, if I can't get the factory set up. I've sent a note to them to see if they can do it so that it would work with a european remote so that I can use the specific targa top button on the euro fob instead of the open and close buttons on the US remote. We shall see.
One gripe I have with the mod4cars smart top is that when you lock the car and then remote close the top, the car unlocks. You have to wait around for the top to close to lock the car.

Last edited by subshooter; 12-02-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:02 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,315 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
One grip I have with the mod4cars smart top is that when you lock the car and then remote close the top, the car unlocks. You have to wait around for the top to close to lock the car.
They have a firmware update that somewhat corrects that.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:48 PM
P Fan
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lava Fire
Hi Lava Fire,
Were you able to accomplish your "Euro Key fob" top opening goal via Mods4Cars's SmartTop?
I am interested as well.
Thanks for any feedback
Old 08-20-2019, 11:29 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

A US dealer cannot reprogram the car to operate like it does elsewhere as it is since a regulation prohibits blocking the taillights when the top is in motion while the car is moving and also since they feel someone could get trapped between the top and rear bumper if there was one-touch operation. The only way to get the functionality is with the SmartTop module, which I have and it is the best money on a mod I have spent on this car and I use it each time I use the car. And the install in very easy and one does not even get their hands dirty so I was able to do it!
The following users liked this post:
Al.Fresco (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 05:04 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by P Fan
Hi Lava Fire,
Were you able to accomplish your "Euro Key fob" top opening goal via Mods4Cars's SmartTop?
I am interested as well.
Thanks for any feedback
Here an active thread on the topic in case you have not seen it: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1156...for-targa.html
Old 08-20-2019, 09:29 PM
ZerOG
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

Old 08-21-2019, 07:52 PM
vipertom 1970
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Here an active thread on the topic in case you have not seen it: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1156...for-targa.html
will this work with manual transmission ?
Old 08-21-2019, 09:08 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vipertom 1970
will this work with manual transmission ?
Of course...mine is a manual!
Old 08-22-2019, 03:27 PM
bosco42
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Cost for the SmartTop ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Targa Top - Open/Close from Key FOB