Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911- Funny/Strange ways people show their appreciation for your car

Old 11-23-2017, 10:36 AM
clemsondds
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 911- Funny/Strange ways people show their appreciation for your car

So the other day I was sitting at a red light, waiting in traffic. I was deep in thought about a meeting I had coming up, and all of a sudden I noticed some movement out of the right corner of my eye. I turned to look out my passenger window and was shocked to see three 18-20 year old guys running down a little embankment towards my car. They ran up to my car and banged on the window...freaked me out!! I quickly locked the doors lol and then they looked down into my window and yelled "can you rev it??" lol I was so relieved. I revved it and they all went crazy and said thanks and ran back up the hill. I thought when I purchased the car, I was going to get all kinds of annoying negative comments, but to my surprise there hasn't been one. Everyone has been so kind and complimentary. There is something about the 911 that just makes people happy (especially when you drive it ha).

Anyone else have a fun story of someone showing their appreciation for your car?

Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-23-2017, 11:24 AM
macanakey
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Cute! The Jr. Macanakey (9 years old) & I were out in our GTS last month. We pulled up to a traffic light & a guy in the car to our passenger side waved to catch his eye, pointed to the GTS & gave him a thumbs up. Jr. was tickled pink. It really made his day.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:07 PM
ASF911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoa, something similar happened to me the other day! I was rolling slowly through my neighborhood plaza with my windows down, radio off, and deep in thought. All of a sudden I hear clamoring from the children's play area. I then see 6 to 7 kids running towards my car shouting "exhaust, exhaust!". I gave it 2 quick revs and they all cheered. Made my night as there are Porsche fans at all ages
Old 11-24-2017, 09:57 PM
Ticket Target
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 92 Posts

Years ago we was leaving a SF 49ers game in a 70's Rolls Royce. Traffic heads through Hunter's Point, a ethnic part of the City, and was slow from the game. The car in front of us stopped mid-block, three large black men got out looking angry, and started walking towards us. Our blood pressure shot through the roof. Well, they stopped in front of our hood, cracked huge smiles, and took their pictures (this was before selfies) with the Rolls.
We were relieved.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:20 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I can never just park and walk away. I always give one last look back because, 911. And one time I notice this old guy eyeballing my car. Okay. When I come back 15 minutes later he's still there, ambling slowly back and forth, alternately gazing at my car and furtively checking to see if anyone's coming. Starts acting all nervous as I get closer and he can tell where I'm headed. I mean it is just the damndest thing. He's the spitting image of everyone's lovable grandpa, right down to the sweater and shoes, and the more I watch the more I can tell the poor guy is just torn between guilt and longing. So I say, "Yeah, its mine. Take a look, its okay." And this 80-something gent, he looks for all the world like a kid with a pony Christmas day. I mean I am getting teared up right now just thinking about it again.

Okay. Better now. So I'm telling him about the car and after a while I notice every time I'm not looking his hand seems to be creeping towards the car. And he's so sweet this guy that I find myself saying, "Its okay. You can touch it."

And his hand goes out like, well I don't have the words but he touches the fender and I felt sure he turned away so I wouldn't see him tearing up.

Long time ago but I will never forget it.
The following 2 users liked this post by chuck911:
991Targa4S (09-09-2021), tourenwagen (09-09-2021)
Old 11-28-2017, 11:30 PM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice to see you again Chuck.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:43 AM
Pete
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most common remark I hear for my agate '14 S coupe is "beautiful car"
Old 11-29-2017, 11:19 AM
RichAA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A driver of a classic car of any kind almost always waves and I wave. It's like if you drive a 911, you're automatically an enthusiast. Kinda' cool.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:22 AM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Similar story to the OP

I was heading back to the office after closing a big deal for my company. I'm sure there are others on here that own or have owned businesses and can relate to the feeling you get after a BIG win. I was barely paying attention to anything around me and driving pretty slow in the right lane as I smiled from ear to ear. I was at a stop light and all I could here was yelling next to me. This being Chicago, two drivers yelling at each other is not an uncommon occurrence

I turn to see two younger guys (maybe 20ish) hanging out the passenger windows of an SUV. I rolled down my window and one of them yelled, "Nice Ferrari!". I laughed and figured they were f'n with me. I replied, "Thanks, but it's just a Porsche 911". The other guy hit the one that was talking to me in head with an object and I heard him say, "I told you it was a Porsche dumb@$$". They both leaned back out the window and yelled, "Beautiful car!" and drove away.

^ I swear most of the young guy interactions are due to the color (SBM) but they are also the most entertaining. Otherwise it's just kids and adults giving the thumbs up and saying, "Nice Porsche". I will say overall I'm very pleased with the interactions I have in this car compared to other sports/super cars I have owned. I have yet to have what I would considered a negative encounter.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:23 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

The way he shows appreciation. Good thing I have Rennline mesh grills!

Old 11-29-2017, 11:30 AM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

Two recent experiences on consecutive days: Returning to my car from the mall (a See’s chocolate run for my wife) I notice a Mustang parked at an odd angle several feet from my Porsche. As I get closer I can see there are a couple guys in the Mustang. My antenna starts to tingle. As it becomes apparent the P-car’s mine the two guys leap out of their car and my heart rate goes up. Then with big smiles they ask, “Is that your car?” Whew! Just car guys that want to find out more and take a closer look at a Porsche.
The next day I’m heading down the canyon behind a school bus. When It’s lights start flashing for a stop and grade school kids pour out of it one kid spots my car and starts jumping up and down, grabbing his buddy and pointing at me. He runs across the side street to get a closer look still pointing and waving his friends over. I’m sitting with smile on my face thinking, “That’s me 55 years ago.” As I pass I shift to neutral, wave and give a couple good revs. The kid has the biggest grin and throws his arms in the air. The best response to one of my Porsche’s ever!
The following users liked this post:
TXGerman (09-10-2021)
Old 11-29-2017, 12:54 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Went to the canyons on Thanksgiving morning for a drive, and when I got home the kid across the street comes running out of his garage when he sees me pull into the cul-de-sac, and walks up literally a foot from my car and follows me as I slowly back into my driveway and into the garage. I get out and he says "Your car is so sick!!" I say thanks, and he continues to just standing there looking awe struck, so I say "Do you want to sit in it?" His eyes pop open even wider and exclaims "Seriously?!". I say "Of course little man! hop in!" So I gave him a little tour of the car and he couldn't have been happier.

Another time worth mentioning was a few months ago. I stopped at the 7-11 on my way home from work, and when I get to the counter to pay for my stuff I notice 4 kids, probably around 12-13 yrs old, with their phones out taking pictures of the car. I walk outside and they see me coming towards them. One asks "is this your car!?" I said yes, and another kid says "Is it cool I we take pictures?" I said of course. Another asks "What do you do for a living?" So I tell them. They proceed to take selfies, close-ups of the badges, wheels, brake calipers, etc. I asked If they wanted to see the inside, to which the response was an enthusiastic "yes!". They take more pics, and then I tell them I have to go. One asks if he can take a video of me driving off, and asked if I could rev it a little, to which I happily obliged. So I backed out of my parking spot, and slowly start creeping towards the driveway. They all have their phones out and video taping while walking like 4 feet behind the car, and thats when I gave the throttle a quick blip up to about 6k. I have an AWE exhaust and it startled them pretty good. They all jumped back in unison yelling "DAAAAAMN!!" and were cheering as I drove off
The following 2 users liked this post by Code:
tourenwagen (09-09-2021), TXGerman (09-10-2021)
Old 11-29-2017, 02:28 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
I can never just park and walk away. I always give one last look back because, 911. And one time I notice this old guy eyeballing my car. Okay. When I come back 15 minutes later he's still there, ambling slowly back and forth, alternately gazing at my car and furtively checking to see if anyone's coming. Starts acting all nervous as I get closer and he can tell where I'm headed. I mean it is just the damndest thing. He's the spitting image of everyone's lovable grandpa, right down to the sweater and shoes, and the more I watch the more I can tell the poor guy is just torn between guilt and longing. So I say, "Yeah, its mine. Take a look, its okay." And this 80-something gent, he looks for all the world like a kid with a pony Christmas day. I mean I am getting teared up right now just thinking about it again.

Okay. Better now. So I'm telling him about the car and after a while I notice every time I'm not looking his hand seems to be creeping towards the car. And he's so sweet this guy that I find myself saying, "Its okay. You can touch it."

And his hand goes out like, well I don't have the words but he touches the fender and I felt sure he turned away so I wouldn't see him tearing up.

Thanks a "thanksgiving" story for me, and thanks for sharing.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:11 PM
993Mpls
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I was about a block from home, bringing my 993 home for the first time, and a 8 or 10 year old boy came running out of the park when I was stopped at the corner and shouted "It's a Porsche!". It was the first best day ever in that car. (Every subsequent drive has also been the best day ever.)
Old 11-29-2017, 05:45 PM
ATLBond
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911

Very poignant story. Thanks for sharing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 911- Funny/Strange ways people show their appreciation for your car